Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

liz earle. I am chucking it

(21 Posts)
craftyone Mon 08-Apr-19 07:05:33

Many moons ago, Liz Earle products were so good and now they have changed. I looked LE up today and they have been bought by walgreens boots alliance, another american company. I wondered why I was no longer getting on with her products, they now contain cheap and nasty ingredients. Sigh, now in the bin and never again

craftyone Mon 08-Apr-19 07:07:20

sold to avon in 2010 and to walgreens in 2015

Urmstongran Mon 08-Apr-19 07:50:25

Well done craftyone for your detective work and for sharing the information. I don’t use LE products but for those who do this will be interesting to note.

Walgreens kept the Boots brand name to trade as it’s trusted in the U.K. but I have noticed changes over time and a friend who works in a small branch says it’s awful now.

Teetime Mon 08-Apr-19 08:53:06

Before that it was sold to Avon hasn't really been Liz Earle for years - I have gone back to Clarins.

Urmstongran Mon 08-Apr-19 09:20:37

I’m a Clarins fan too Teetime

Culag Mon 08-Apr-19 09:59:00

It’s nothing new - remember how Body Shop started?

M0nica Tue 09-Apr-19 08:53:26

It puzzles me how the owners of niche companies on the 'green' side of things build up companies with lots of their USP being their high ethical standards - and then go and sell out to a large international corporation, with none of those values.

Yes, they may need the money to retire, but why not sell it to the management team or turn it into a co-operative owned by the workers. In the end greed always seems to come up top.

EllanVannin Tue 09-Apr-19 09:07:43

I was an Estee Lauder fan when working and would only use their foundation which was fab. I can't for the life of me remember a particular foundation I used to buy but it was smooth and creamy and didn't dry. I can't stand matt !

I keep looking on ebay to try and jog my memory but chances are it might not be made any more but I'd much rather pay out for a good one rather than ne which turns to chalk.

luluaugust Tue 09-Apr-19 10:14:53

Another vote for Clarions.

Countrylife Sun 14-Apr-19 08:34:08

At least you all have a favourite. I was oil of Olay user for donkeys years then I decided at 50 to splash out on something more age related. Now I know it’s around that age that lines become ensconced but within 5 years I was sporting lovely upper lip lines, mouth edge lines, my face is an isobar map. Should I have stuck with it would it have helped? Who knows. I tried changing back too late. Now I can never find anything that makes my skin feel nourished. I’m outside a lot with the dogs and don’t wear makeup much anymore, not a lot of point. Why don’t we think like then when we have smooth unlined skin up to 50yrs old but wait until we are wrinkly. Surely it should be the other way around!

loopyloo Sun 14-Apr-19 08:43:22

Country life. if you are outside a lot you need something with at least factor 30.. it's the sunshine and light that has made the lines worse. And wear a hat.
Can anyone recommend something?

Niobe Sun 14-Apr-19 11:42:41

A couple of months ago I developed a horrible rash around my lips . At first I thought it was a cold sore developing but it just spread and soon it was apparent hat it was not a cold sore. My GP diagnosed a POD or peri oral dermatitis and gave me an antibiotic lotion. I chucked out all my skin cleansers, exfoliants etc and am now using Cetaphil only and it is brilliant. I will get the moisturiser too but at the moment I am using coconut oil periodically to counteract the drying effect of the antibiotic lotion.

paddyann Sun 14-Apr-19 13:17:10

I stopped buying Liz Earle when she sold to Avon ,I use Elemis products most of the time,I've just bought some Judith Williams retinol based skincare to alternate with my elemis over the summer countrylife try the Elemis rich marine collagen cream it should make your skin better ,but use it sparingly a very small blob night and morning .

GrannyGravy13 Sun 14-Apr-19 13:50:31

My sister introduced me to Emma Hardie products, small ethical company, fabulous products.

They are on-line and I think a basic range is sold in larger M & S stores.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 14-Apr-19 14:02:37

I do wonder if it's you that has changed Craftyone. We do; I know I have over the years.

I use Liz Earle and have found no difference as the ownership changed. It is still being made in the same place by the same people. I am not sure how much sympathy I have for someone broadcasting their change of skincare on an internet platform and being quite so derogatory. Perhaps GNHQ should offer the company you seem to be attacking an opportunity to reply - then we would know if they have changed the ingredients to "cheap and nasty" ones. It appears many who are still happy with the brand, cannot, in your estimation, tell the difference. Thanks for that.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 14-Apr-19 14:08:09

Sorry I meant to add that myself, sister and daughter still use Liz Earle and have not noticed any change in the products.

Good point GGMK3

Largolass Sun 14-Apr-19 14:49:29

I have used Liz Earle products for over a decade and have been complimented on my skin many times. The products are still the same quality as they were when Liz was at the helm never noticed any "cheap or nasty ingredients". I buy direct from the IOW and everything still arrives beautifully wrapped in tissue paper with a hand written card so no change there.

Happiyogi Sun 14-Apr-19 15:27:14

Elemis was bought by L'Occitane earlier this year. Nothing is as it appears!

Niobe Sun 14-Apr-19 17:33:21

Actually Liz Earle was one of the ranges recommended for people suffering from POD and I will try it after my Cetaphil runs out. Apparently POD is a form of rosacea.

paddyann Sun 14-Apr-19 18:52:34

I like L'occitane products happiyogi always excellent quality .I've never had any issues with them ,no issues with my Elemis either it doesn't seem different from how its been for years .

GracesGranMK3 Mon 15-Apr-19 00:00:43

I hope it works Niobe. I have found a large number of makes I can't use because of sensitivity but have no trouble at all with Liz Earle. I find I can wear her perfume too and that is often a problem for me.

It is lovely when you find something that works.