Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Looking Good, feeling good.

(20 Posts)
Teetime Thu 02-May-19 14:41:25

Do you remember that feeling of swinging down the street feeling young, alive and happy. So do I just.

MawBroonsback Thu 02-May-19 14:47:51

Nope, short term memory loss! grin
Seriously, yes, but probably didn’t look half as cool as I thought sad

Eglantine21 Thu 02-May-19 14:49:52

Still do!

As long as I don’t catch sight of myself in a shop window........

M0nica Fri 03-May-19 07:48:01

Surely this kind of evenescent feeling accompanies one through life.

It is not a frequent feeling at any age. Just now and again when the weather is lovely, life feels good and I can give a hop, skip and jump. ActuallyI think I feel it more often now than when I was young.

travelsafar Fri 03-May-19 08:04:32

I often get that feeling on a bright sunny day when i have a reason to get out and go somewhere.
I often comment to my sister though when we are looking for clothes 'oh to be young slim and beautiful' as there are so many affordable beautiful clothes out there for young women. That is when the looking good and feeling good feeling disappears! smile

Yorksherlass Fri 03-May-19 09:09:35

I know it’s not “PC” any more but I liked the odd wolf whistle now and again especially on days when I was feeling a bit down, lifted my spirits . I know ,I know I’m a saddo !!

Teetime Fri 03-May-19 09:29:26

I dont mind a wolf whistle but you dont hear them now anyway as its not PC. A rather elderly golfer told me he had put his phone number on the back of my raffle ticket the other day- very sweet, made me smile.
I take the point about feeling good on a sunny day - keeps raining here. smile

KatyK Fri 03-May-19 09:54:36

Oh yes I remember that feeling. Thinking I was gorgeous (I was). Hey there Georgie girl swinging down the street so fancy free comes to mind. It's been a long time since I felt like that. Oh well, at least I did. smile

jeanie99 Mon 06-May-19 00:19:32

I have got my mojo back after feeling unwell for a few weeks thank goodness.

I do avoid mirrors and shops windows now though at my time of life.

crazyH Mon 06-May-19 00:41:23

I was plodding along through life, knowing that I once was attractive and was happy in the knowledge that I have reached the age when I dont have to worry about my looks or dress to attract . Joined a seniors group and again, plodding along nicely, dressed fairly well to go to these meets. Along to the group meet, comes a smart 70 year old, who gave me his phone number and asked me to call him. I was taken aback but decided to call him later that evening and guess what, he said he only wanted sex and he thought I would be up for it. I was both angry and insulted...I told. him there was the red light district if he wanted sex. This man made me feel so dirty, I no longer look forward to our senior's group meet.

Lyndiloo Mon 06-May-19 00:54:36

Oh yes, I remember that feeling well. Although I still feel alive and happy - just not so young!

I'm sorry that wolf-whistles have disappeared - I used to love getting a whistle or two. I well remember walking through Soho one lunchtime and a lorry pulled up in traffic. The driver leaned out of his window and shouted to me, "Now that's the kind of arse I like!" Definitely not very PC - even then. And I remember being quite affronted by it.

Just makes me smile to remember it now ... wink

Lyndiloo Mon 06-May-19 01:03:00

P.S. A thought has just struck me - you don't get any whistling now. Tradesmen used to whistle a tune as they went about their work, my dad used to whistle, men used to whistle walking along the street ... It's all stopped! When did that happen? How strange! (And women whistling used to be thought unlucky - I was told not to whistle as a child because of this.)

Lyndiloo Mon 06-May-19 01:13:53

P.P.S. (Sorry) I missed your post somehow, crazyH. Don't let this dirty old man spoil your meetings! What a cheek! Go to the next meeting with your head held high. (It's very likely that he won't go any more if he can't find what he wants there.) And don't let him put you off other men who find you attractive - not all men are sexual predators!

NotAGran55 Mon 06-May-19 07:40:30

Oh yes happy days .
I was walking along one day and a car drew up slowly by me ... the window went down and the man called out
‘ That girl’s wearing Harmony Hairspray ‘ ...and off he went . It made my day smile

NanKate Mon 06-May-19 07:42:03

Slightly off piste, we have a family whistle that has been used for well over 100 years. When I want to get DH’s attention in a shop or a short distance from me I start the whistle. We have taught it to our two young grandsons and although the youngest can’t whistle yet he sings the short tune.

I sometimes look an old photos of myself and realise that I had good unlined skin and a slim figure and I just didn’t appreciate it at the time.

Calendargirl Mon 06-May-19 07:54:10

Re wolf whistles. If you didn’t get whistled at, you felt affronted, especially if they whistled and called to your friends!

M0nica Mon 06-May-19 09:15:43

I felt affronted if I was wolf whistled at - and very uncomfortable.

KatyK Mon 06-May-19 09:50:09

Oh not me. I loved been whistled at. It used to make my day smile

blondenana Mon 06-May-19 16:42:12

I loved the wolf whistle too, i think everything has gone far too pc today, along with feminism,
Too much of we should be offended by certain things,it was nice to know some one thought you were attractive, especially on a day maybe you were feeling a bit down ,it cheered you up

crazyH Mon 06-May-19 16:51:46

Thanks Lindiloo. I will ?