Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Permanent make-up eyebrows? Anyone done it?

(15 Posts)
lmm6 Sat 01-Jun-19 20:30:29

Thinning hair and eyebrows. Just read about permanent make-up for eyebrows. Cost is over £300 which seems extortionate. But, if it really is permanent, could it be worth it? Recently bought an eyebrow brush and must admit, after using it, I did look a lot better. So much bother though. Wonder if it might be worth having the permanent version?

DoraMarr Sat 01-Jun-19 20:43:02

My sister has has microbladed eyebrows. They look very good, but not for the squeamish. I use Diego della Palma eyebrow gel to fill in blanks and smooth.

PamelaJ1 Sat 01-Jun-19 20:45:06

It’s not permanent, lasts a couple of years
You have the first treatment, looks really dark and you will wonder what you have done.
Then it scabs and lightens.
Then you go for a top up to make sure nothing has been missed.
It is easier to go for a top up every year to keep it looking fresh. A top up should be cheaper than a full treatment.
If you are in East Anglia I can recommend a really good practitioner. She used to come to my salon but now has her own premises.
Make sure that you get someone who has been recommended.
Have you tried having your eyebrows tinted? That can make a difference.

Avor2 Sat 01-Jun-19 20:46:44

It doesn't always stay permanent you can also have semi-permanent so that might work for you. it will be pricey but it is worth going along to your nearest salon and have a chat with them, they will probably give you a tester first just in case you have a reaction. Otherwise if you are happy with the eyebrow brush just carry on with that. I have my eyebrows and eyelashes tinted once a month, as I am so fair I look dead without any definition. At least if you have the permanent you dont have to worry about it for a few months.

M0nica Sat 01-Jun-19 20:48:56

I have my eyebrows shaped and tinted every 6 weeks. It costs £20 and works very well.

lmm6 Sat 01-Jun-19 21:21:54

Aaah, Monica. So it can be bit like having your hair coloured? (i.e. every 6 weeks or so). Oh to be a man... they don't have to think about any of this do they!

M0nica Sat 01-Jun-19 21:33:36

Well, I colour my hair myself, but eyebrows are a bit more complicated, so I leave that to an expert.

annsixty Sat 01-Jun-19 21:45:31

A few months ago I was at a social function and got in a conversation with a woman who had had her eyebrows tattooed on.
She was very well off compered to me so I assume she had the best treatment available.
It looked very good but was a step too far for me.

NotAGran55 Sat 01-Jun-19 22:07:47

www.eylure.com/uk/product/dybrow-brown/

This is simple , quick , cheap and effective .

grannyqueenie Sat 01-Jun-19 22:39:59

Sadly for me those days of “filling in the blanks” are now gone. It’s more like spot the stray eyebrow hair in an expanse of “blank”! Having always had very dark eyebrows I hate having next to none now but am not convinced about the semi permanent options. Meantime I’m working on improving my eyebrow pencilling technique!

Urmstongran Sat 01-Jun-19 22:50:06

I just use L’oreal brow gel in brown. I apply it every morning when I put on my mascara - it takes seconds and cleanse it off with my mascara at night. A tube for about £8 I think lasts about a year.

Alexa Sat 01-Jun-19 22:55:43

Rimmel eyebrow pencil in Storm grey to match my white hair.

PamelaJ1 Sun 02-Jun-19 05:46:03

Avor2- the term permanent is a little misleading.
The technique and pigments used on eyebrows, eyeliner and lip lining are very different from permanent tattoos.
They gradually degrade and get fainter.
This could be a good thing if you don’t like the effect.
I had everything done, I had to really so that I knew what I was talking about when describing the procedure to clients.
I do like the natural look and that was taken into account.

I last had my lips done about 15years ago and there are still traces of it left but you have to look closely. It gives me a line to follow when applying lipstick.

Whingingmom Sun 02-Jun-19 15:12:24

There was a thread on Mumsnet suggesting the”Just for Men” beard dye was brilliant for tinting eyebrows! Much longer lasting than eyebrow tints for women. Please note I haven’t tried it.

Coolgran65 Sun 02-Jun-19 15:59:36

PamelaJ1 I have full and thick eyebrows towards the centre and they fade to practically no hair towards the ends.
Can microblading be done if there is lots of hair. I'm wondering what happens if the microblading gives a suitable colour but the grey hairs are popping through?? Can't understand how it works.