Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Going grey

(19 Posts)
Luckylegs Mon 26-Aug-19 12:31:31

I’ve posted on here before about my hair dilemma. Thanks to chemo, menopause, thyroid deficiency and all that, my once crowning glory had become thin, breaking, dreadful. My hairdresser recommended Nioxin stuff which did help.

Anyway, after loads of angst, I finally got fed up of having my hair coloured, looking after it, covering it up in the sun because it fades so much, wearing hats which make my head sweat prolifically - quite apart from the sheer cost. I went to the hairdressers and with a deep breath, took the plunge - had all the colour bleached out and a toner put in. I didn’t like the very purple toner but it’s now washed out, I just shampoo it with a cheap purple shampoo which keeps it white and I love it! It may be because we’re on holiday but the condition is good, it’s shiny and seems to have thickened up even though I’ve stopped the Nioxin for now. My husband keeps remarking on how I suit it and it brings out my eyes, never had such compliments! So I’m advising anyone hesitating to try it. I just thought if I hate it, I could always have it coloured again but I should save loads of time and money, hurray!

lemongrove Mon 26-Aug-19 12:35:26

Good for you Luckylegs and you will save yourself a fortune too.
I refuse to go grey before Mr Lemongrove, but when he does, so shall I.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 26-Aug-19 13:00:34

Photo - before / mid change / full change

I took the plunge when I retired (60). I was going every 2/3 weeks in the end to get the roots done. I'd tried myself - very unsuccessful.

Hairdresser layered it. Put highlights in all over. I had these done twice more with a 6 week gap between. Then let the grey take over.

This is me as it was growing out and a more recent one (3 years ago - my wedding).

I still get compliments on how much the grey suits me.

Hairdresser at the time said my skin tone had changed as I got older and the grey would suit me more and he was right.

dragonfly46 Mon 26-Aug-19 13:04:52

My hairdresser advised me to stop colouring my hair some time ago. I am still not white but I do have a lot of different colours in my hair which would cost a fortune if I had to dye it this colour.
It is true your skin tone changes as you get older. What is more I can now wear purple which I love.

Septimia Mon 26-Aug-19 13:19:07

Woodmouse - yes it does suit you, and it makes you look younger!!

I only tried colouring mine once and went grey fairly early, as is common in my family. I was once complimented on my (grey) hair by a complete stranger who was sitting opposite me on a train

phoenix Mon 26-Aug-19 13:21:39

Another here who took the plunge! It is actually quite liberating, no more "roots" (my hair grows very fast!) and as mentioned I can now wear colours such as violet & mustard, which definitely didn't work when my hair was dyed a fairly deep red.

MawB Mon 26-Aug-19 13:27:12

WOODMOUSE -not unlike my own transition to grey/white.
I occasionally have yearnings, then I get a grip and enjoy all the new colours which now suit me better. And what if I do look my age(71)?
Who cares?

tanith Mon 26-Aug-19 13:30:27

I let my hair go grey over 10 yrs ago I’m 71 now it’s very liberating and I love my grey/silver hair.

Luckylegs Mon 26-Aug-19 14:27:21

This is the recent transformation. I’d like to put one off my phone on as well, if I can manage it!

Luckylegs Mon 26-Aug-19 14:31:36

This is the latest now it’s settled down nicely!

MacCavity2 Mon 26-Aug-19 17:41:42

O wow! You all look fantastic. Such glamorous ladies. Thankfully all my friends have aged beautifully and we all encourage each other to look good and keep fit.

GrandmotherSnowdrop Mon 14-Oct-19 16:43:32

I started to grey very early on in my life. By the time I was 23, I'd say about 1/5 of my hair was already grey -- I joke that it was down to all the stress my first husband put me through -- and it was very stark because my natural colour was a deep dark black.

I spent many years trying to hide the grey but when I was 28, recently divorced and with a new lease on life, I decided to stop with the dye and commit to a dye-free year where I embraced my natural colour. I managed 6 months. I didn't suit the salt and pepper look. Truth be told, it was absolutely horrendous on me.

From there, I decided that I'd try blonde. I thought the greys would blend in better if my hair were lighter, so it seemed like a less high maintenance choice than sticking with something approximate to my natural black. My hair took to the bleach better than expected and so, on a last minute whim, I decided to go white rather than the creamy blonde I'd been planning.

I've stuck with it ever since and never looked back. When I get bored, I like to play with the tone a little while still remaining within the same colour family. I tend to cycle between white, platinum silver and icy grey.

I'd highly encourage any woman considering going grey to do so. It's very pretty and having the brightness so close to your face can be forgiving.

Whingingmom Mon 14-Oct-19 20:01:40

Thank you everyone for your advice - I am doing the same and going grey after a couple of hairdressing disasters (by a hairdresser May I add )
The photos are inspiring - how glamorous and chic you all look with silver hair, thanks for posting x

Urmstongran Mon 14-Oct-19 20:10:17

You all look super glamorous ladies!

Mapleleaf Tue 15-Oct-19 09:50:48

You all look lovely, ladies.
I started going grey very early, too, though it became really noticeable in my thirties at which point I went down the semi permanent colour route. This was ok, and I did this for many years but one day I decided that it was becoming too expensive as it needed doing more often - my hair grows very quickly. So for the past 10 + years, I've let nature take its course. I'm not completely grey, there are still darker bits, but I'm happy with it and am saving an absolute fortune at the hairdressers!
Embrace the grey, is my message.

Nortsat46 Tue 15-Oct-19 09:59:48

How lovely everyone looks (with glass in hand in one or two pics ?)
My hair has streaks of white appearing, so reading your experiences and seeing the lovely results has given me plenty to think about.

Fiachna50 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:43:46

I went grey in my 40s, coloured it for years and then took an intolerance to hair dye during menopause. Not just hair dye, had to change hand soaps, dish detergent and shampoos. My hairdresser told me that I was wise to stop the colouring. As it was I was getting frightened of how the colourant was affecting me. I now get more compliments on my hair than I ever did, even though its not completely grey. It has saved me a fortune on hair colourant too.

vena11 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:49:57

When my hair came in after chemo it was grey thought about dying it again but I am glad now that I left it, love it now .

winterwhite Tue 15-Oct-19 10:56:16

I'm wavering on the brink of a decision. A bit like putting off going to the dentist. These posts are very encouraging. How long does it take all in all? Three months? I have shortish curly hair, natural colour light British mouse, now a faded-looking blonde..