Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Summer’s over! (I hope)

(66 Posts)
MawB Sun 22-Sep-19 17:14:58

A last hurrah yesterday -wasn't lovely?
But today we’ve had much lower temperatures, rain, even thunder and I have taken an executive decision to pack away the summer clothes - the linens, the t shirts, the white trousers!
Suddenly I feel the need for sleeves and darker trousers. Can’t wait to wear my new Seasalt coatigan either.
I am rediscovering some of my cooler weather clothes and have already filled two big bags for the charity shop for jumpers I don’t even remember wearing last year.
All very liberating!

luluaugust Tue 24-Sep-19 10:30:16

Thanks for reminding me just off to look for the coatigan I have got hidden somewhere.

M0nica Mon 23-Sep-19 20:30:44

Bijou the shops are also full of yellows and reds and other vividAutumn colours.

Having consulted the weather forecast, I hope I can change into winter clothes next week.

Evie64 Mon 23-Sep-19 19:45:07

I prefer the Autumn/Winter temperatures. Can't do the Summer heat now. Down here in Exeter, Devon, we have a temperate climate, but this Spring/Summer was unbearably hot. Currently, September has been way too warm, 18c today. I'm still in Summer clothes. Can't wait to get my woolies out.

Bijou Mon 23-Sep-19 19:14:42

I love the summer and really hate winter. I don’t like wearing heavy clothes and not being able to have an afternoon siesta in the garden.
Why do winter clothes have to be dark colours? Are they warmer than lighter colours? The shops are full of miserable blacks, browns and greys.

Gonegirl Mon 23-Sep-19 16:46:07

I'm glad it's Corfu. Much nicer. smile

Millie22 Mon 23-Sep-19 16:36:08

Gonegirl

So funny. It's Corfu. You do make me laugh.

sarahellenwhitney Mon 23-Sep-19 16:28:54

Sara65
Go on line for the Met Devon forecast.If its anything like Cornwall you are in for some rain.

Leah50 Mon 23-Sep-19 16:24:12

Oh I'm with you Loislovesstewie, I love long Summer days feeling warm, enjoying meals in the garden, hours on the beach, or walking out & about with my grandkids. Winter sometimes means b
eing confined to our cold, draughty Edwardian house in a village with poor public transport. Roll on next Spring!

Gonegirl Mon 23-Sep-19 16:11:40

Ah. Thought you said "Court".

Funnygran Mon 23-Sep-19 16:07:38

I’m in Corfu at present so prolonging summer although my DS tells me it’s warm back home. Once we get home I suppose the linens and cotton dresses will go away in favour of leggings and tunics. The arthritic joints have been great in the warmer weather. Will have to slowly acclimatise to darker evenings and colder mornings. And the dreaded C*******s shopping coming up!

Gonegirl Mon 23-Sep-19 15:59:05

"Chasing cardigan". confused

WTF?!

Gonegirl Mon 23-Sep-19 15:57:45

I like the paddling cardigan next to the one chosen by *Maw*

Though why you'd need a special cardigan for paddling God only knows. (I don't intend to do any paddling either)

cupcake1 Mon 23-Sep-19 15:56:00

I am a spring/summer person. I hate, just hate, the dark mornings and evenings and the gloomy weather it inevitably brings. This year however myself and DH are off to Australia early November, back late January, so not only do I get months more sunshine I avoid the C*****mas malarkey. Great news for the arthritic joints as well. Win win situation wink

sarahellenwhitney Mon 23-Sep-19 15:36:47

BlueBelle
Good questiongrin.Blame it on wine plenty of it at friend's,one of my bridesmaids, sunday hmm2019 ??Silver Wedding celeb.

humptydumpty Mon 23-Sep-19 14:56:51

Maw love the picture! - might have to buy one myself!

Riggie Mon 23-Sep-19 14:51:56

It turned cold as we came back from our holiday so as things got washed I put them away only to have to get some of them out again!!

Stella14 Mon 23-Sep-19 14:18:25

I’m a Spring and Summer girl. I love birdsong and my garden full of flowers, bees and butterflies. I am the Goldilocks of temperatures though. I hate being cold. I like it warm, but not too warm . . . LOL!

I too love Seasalt clothes. It’s great that they do larger sizes in most of their range and don’t just pay ‘lip service’ to them. I don’t love that if I really like something, I have to pay full price, as their discount’s are rare and small when then do have them. Items tend to sell out, so waiting for a discount would, most often lead to disappointment. There clothes are a real pleasure to wear though.

Grannycool52 Mon 23-Sep-19 13:53:21

Maw, I love your coatigan! We don't have Seasalt here but I shall have a look online.
I love summer, but it's very autumny here today and I'm enjoying being all cosy in a cuddly jumper ?

debgaga Mon 23-Sep-19 13:47:29

Love Gabriella’s ascerbic comments ?

Nanny41 Mon 23-Sep-19 13:32:25

I am not giving in to Autumn until the last minute Winter is long enough. Today here in Cumbria I had to take off my summer jacket and just walk about with a cardigan on its lovely weather here but isnt expected to last . Roll on spring 2020!

Camelotclub Mon 23-Sep-19 13:02:08

I've always liked autumn as I stop being bitten by any flying or crawling thing that exists! I like the autumn colours of the leaves and hedgerows.

Nannyxthree Mon 23-Sep-19 12:48:28

Light coloured trousers put away but not much else yet. Love the colours of the autumn leaves but am concerned that this year many will have fallen before they've had a chance to change colour. I assume that's to do with the dry Summer.

Belleringer Mon 23-Sep-19 12:25:48

MOnica - I have been waiting years for high waisted trousers to come back in. Drop waists come right across the 'middle age spread' and either slide down below it or I bulge out over the waistband. High waists sit neatly over the top of the flab. We are all different!

MawB Mon 23-Sep-19 12:22:30

Long sleeved Joules harbour tops this week - I can save the snuggly sweaters until the temperature drops to single figures.

Soniah Mon 23-Sep-19 12:15:06

Love autumn but far too warm here for warmer clothes!