Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Has anyone?........?

(19 Posts)
Shinamae Fri 04-Oct-19 14:27:12

I am 66 with quite good skin but am getting a bit “Jowly”I am considering having Radiofrequency in that area to “tighten”things up,anyway has anybody done this and what were the results?.I was considering the silhouette thread mini facelift but chickened out of that I’m a bit squeamish ?

NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Sun 06-Oct-19 21:47:26

Hi Shinamae,

Welcome to Gransnet! flowers We're sure some of our members will be able to help you out with this! smile

gillybob Sun 06-Oct-19 22:09:14

Welcome to Gransnet Shinamae . I’m sorry I can’t answer your question but please do report back if you decide to go ahead. I am not in the (financial) position to have cosmetic surgery but I would absolutely do it if I could afford it . My grandchildren’s other grandma has recently had “a bit of work done” and looks amazing . I’m so envy .

sharon103 Sun 06-Oct-19 22:21:36

Me too Shinamae.
No funds either gillybob I'm starting to look as though I'm miserable when I'm not.
I look a lot better when I pull the skin up to my ears grin

Callistemon Mon 07-Oct-19 05:21:20

I'd like a bit of work done too but am too nervous to go for surgery.

Please let us know, Shinamae, if you decide to go ahead and
if it's effective.

Otherwise I could grow my hair and go for 'a ponytail facelift'

oldgimmer1 Mon 07-Oct-19 06:59:35

Go for it if you can afford it.

I've looked into a thread lift too.

Maybe start off with something non- invasive first to get you going?

Realself is a good source of information.

Shinamae Mon 07-Oct-19 09:17:20

Thank you all very much for your advice and the welcome. I am going for my initial consultation tomorrow afternoon in Exeter so will keep you posted and hopefully Realself sees this and comments..?...I had a tummy tuck a few years ago and had no problems with that surgery but the face is a bit different. By the way I am not loaded I was left a small inheritance and could not exercise away the apron of XS skin caused by having four children but the Nuffield in Exeter did a marvellous job mind you it was about £6000 and that’s about 10 years ago. It’s not the Nuffield I’m going to tomorrow as they do not do cosmetic procedures it’s a clinic but like I say I will keep you posted ?

oldgimmer1 Sun 13-Oct-19 10:24:30

How did it go, Shinamae?

blondenana Tue 22-Oct-19 23:09:03

Shinamae have you decide on what you are having done ,or have you gone ahead with either of your choices
Please do tell us,i for one am very interested .and hope you are happy whatever you decided

GabriellaG54 Sat 26-Oct-19 15:27:19

Not everyone who's had 4 or more children has an 'apron of skin'.
I have 5 and a flat tummy, no folds or stretch marks.
Good luck with your procedure.
The problem is that other parts of the body show one's age...eg: hands and arms so, if one wants to look younger or 'tidier' then one has to keep shelling out over the years as no procedure lasts forever.
I hope you have a positive experience.

HettyMaud Sat 26-Oct-19 15:37:16

Perhaps a better way might be to treat yourself to some new clothes, make up, scarves and jewellery. Some bright earrings, a shiny scarf, some decent make up will inevitably make you look brighter. Even some new glasses -there are some fabulous styles now. You are probably far more aware of your jowls than others are. Try to detract attention from them - I often look at people's lovely earrings which can set off their face. Get the right colour accessories for your skin and I bet you'll look great without resorting to surgery. Also facial exercises can help.

lemongrove Sat 26-Oct-19 15:41:27

Good luck, I wouldn’t do it, but plenty of women do.If it will make you feel better about yourself it’s probably worth doing, but be aware that having work done sometimes becomes an ongoing ‘thing’ and women always find something else they feel needs doing, it can become a slippery slope.

Callistemon Sat 26-Oct-19 16:02:48

Of course you have, Gabriella grin
We would expect nothing less than a flat tummy and not a single stretch mark!

I was in hospital once and there was a young woman in the next bed who'd had a tummy tuck courtesy of the NHS. No, she hadn't put on excessive weight overall but she had had twins and no amount of dieting and exercise would get rid of that skin.

Callistemon Sat 26-Oct-19 16:04:29

I am seriously considering this now, having caught sight of myself at the hairdresser's (why are their mirrors so unflattering?) but am terrified of infections.

lemongrove Sat 26-Oct-19 16:13:56

I don’t have any stretch marks either, but the old tummy could do with a tuck! ?

Callistemon Sat 26-Oct-19 16:20:11

I wasn't going to get any stretch marks either, didn't put on too much weight, used a special vitamin E cream then one day, there were these little red lines which turned out to be stretch marks.

I think you either have that type of skin or not - mine is so soft, lovely and delicate
wink

annep1 Sat 26-Oct-19 22:08:43

I will never have surgery that isnt essential. I would never be that brave. I was once offered a free eyelid lift at the glaucoma clinic which I would love. The lady said it was a very quick procedure. But no. I turned it down.?
I would do the things HettyMaud suggested and remember to smile. Makes such a difference.

Callistemon Sat 26-Oct-19 22:18:16

Yes, it was an acquaintance who said she had been offered the eye lift when she had her cataracts done, annep

annep1 Sat 26-Oct-19 22:52:11

Did she say no too Callistemon? I do wish I had had the courage to accept as I hate my low eyelids.
It was to improve peripheral vision even though my test results are good. I thought it was very generous of the NHS.
I have watched cosmetic operations on the face and I just could not do it. I shall just keep using skin care products.