Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

colours

(9 Posts)
blueskies Wed 06-Nov-19 17:34:08

Anyone had their colours "done" ? I've recently let my hair tint grow out and am now grey. A friend suggested that I needed to change the colour scheme for my clothes now and we both went along for a session this week. I wasn't aware that it was also a make over for my make up. crikey. My face was bare and hair pulled right back into a band and suddenly there was this old white faced lady peering at me in the mirror. I usually wear a tinted moisturizer and light pink lipstick but I ended up with a pale complexion and a magenta lipstick like a goth. I think the consultant could see I wasn't enjoying it and she reassured me ( after many negative comments) "don't worry you have a nice personality ". I am continuing to wear my usual make up and clothes. Have I wasted my money or have I more to learn?

Hetty58 Wed 06-Nov-19 17:47:21

I think grey hair calls for a warmer complexion so blusher should be your new friend. Light pink lipstick might be too light now but magenta is too much of a sudden change. Were the clothes colour suggestions helpful?

blueskies Wed 06-Nov-19 19:10:39

Hetty 58 I think I was too traumatised to pay much attention Hetty. It all seemed so negative. My wrinkles, sun damage, high forehead and lack of eyebrows were a “problem”. I feel the colours should have been tried with my usual make up. My friend did spend over one hundred pounds on make up and she had a lot of attention. Oh well it did get me down but I’ve bounced back.

Dee1012 Wed 06-Nov-19 19:18:24

I had my colours done quite some time ago.
An utter disaster both in clothing and cosmetic suggestions.

The woman was obsessed with pink lipstick, which I loathe and really doesn't suit me at all and suggested clothing shades were equally unpleasant.
I decided to stay with my various shades of black!!

Scaryscouse1 Wed 06-Nov-19 19:21:24

I actually found a book in a charity shop called Colour Me Confident. It was very useful, plus it is easy to go back and check. The book covers clothes and makeup. I would recommend it

M0nica Wed 06-Nov-19 20:06:11

I did it years and years ago when I worke, a Colouring Councillor came to talk to our Women's Network.

She only told me what I already knew, I look best in Autumn colours from deep brown, through all the yellows, bronzes and cream. Still do. I am having a field day with all the gorgeous countryside colours in fashion this year.

kittylester Wed 06-Nov-19 20:27:13

I had it done a few years ago and I thought it was good and I mostly use her advice.

Sara65 Wed 06-Nov-19 21:07:27

I’ve never been tempted, I like a spectrum of colours, and if I was told they didn’t suit me, but that I looked absolutely fabulous in grey, I would completely ignore it.

It’s like all those makeover programmes, you may very well look better for changing your style, but if it’s not a style you like, and you don’t feel comfortable, what’s the point?

MiniMoon Wed 06-Nov-19 21:19:39

I did colour analysis online. It was free, asked questions about hair, eyes, skin tone etc.
I suit cool colours, I am a winter person apparently.
I am allergic to most make up, so that part of it doesn't interest me.