Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Do you know of a mascara that colours without bits?

(24 Posts)
Shinyredcar Thu 16-Jan-20 18:03:58

My eyelashes are still there, but losing colour. They used to be black. They are one of the few ways I can add some definition to my face, which with white hair, is very necessary.

I suffer from panda-eyes with most mascaras.

What I want is something that will colour my lashes without glooping them together or leaving bits when I brush them out. Does anyone know of one?

MissAdventure Thu 16-Jan-20 18:10:23

I'm following with interest, because I'm in the middle of a mascara crisis myself.

I just bought a waterproof mascara but it flakes and smudges and makes black dots on my brows, or at least the saggy skin just below brow level.

JaneyG Thu 16-Jan-20 18:13:40

Estée Lauder Doublewear zero smudge is very good. I don’t like gloopy mascara at my age.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 16-Jan-20 18:14:43

It depends on how much you want to pay I love benefit roller lash won’t use anything else for that reason but it’s not cheap, last time I bought one think was around 22 pound

ExperiencedNotOld Thu 16-Jan-20 18:15:35

No7 lash effect. I have almost transparent eyelashes and it does the job in two coats.

CanadianGran Thu 16-Jan-20 18:18:37

Did you know you can have your lashes dyed? I had a very blond co-worker who had this done regularly and she was happy with the result.

Check with your local hair salon, or esthetician.

For mascara, I really like L'Oreal telescopic. It defines without clumping, and I don't get flakes or smudges under my eyes. When I buy a new mascara I find there is too much product on the brush, so i roll it on tissue first.

MissAdventure Thu 16-Jan-20 18:19:34

Well, I'm very much a cheapskate at the best of times, but having paid what I consider at lot, I'm not convinced you get what you pay for. (At least I'm hoping not.)

Flamingo Thu 16-Jan-20 18:46:44

I use Benefit mascara, it gives lovely colour and doesn't flake off,you can go into a larger boots store which has make up stands and they will assist you with choosing a mascara and put some on for you.

Callistemon Thu 16-Jan-20 19:03:32

CanadianGran I was going to suggest the OP tries dyeing her eyelashes.

But I would suggest having it done professionally .

Callistemon Thu 16-Jan-20 19:04:57

I re-read that and meant to say what you said CanadianGran, and not suggest she tries this at home!!

MissAdventure Thu 16-Jan-20 19:10:55

My lashes need some building up though.
I don't mind bits, as long as they stay on my lashes.

Kittye Thu 16-Jan-20 19:13:55

Clinique Naturally Glossy, no bits in it. It cost about £20, but it’s the only mascara I can wear without irritation and lasts for ages.

Hetty58 Thu 16-Jan-20 19:18:23

Have your lashes dyed and curled. It lasts six to eight weeks until they grow (fall) out!

Pittcity Thu 16-Jan-20 19:19:58

I use a 30 day mascara, which is a home dye. It's as easy as applying mascara and costs less than a fiver for several applications from Savers.

MissAdventure Thu 16-Jan-20 19:24:09

I've never had my eyelashes or anything like that 'done'.

It feels a bit naughty to do it. I blame my mum.

shysal Thu 16-Jan-20 19:29:39

I read about tubing mascaras on GN. Each lash is encased in a 'tube' which doesn't smudge, even survives a swim, yet cleans off with a cotton wool pad soaked in warm water. The one I use is L'oreal Double Extension (from Ebay or Boots), another is Blinc. You can find more info on Google along with other recommendations.
I hope you find something to suit you. I have been delighted with the above.

Hetty58 Thu 16-Jan-20 19:30:32

MissAdventure, you should at least try it once! Individual lash extensions are brilliant too!

MissAdventure Thu 16-Jan-20 19:36:34

Oh, I'm sort of tempted.
It seems so decadent though!

ExD1938 Thu 16-Jan-20 20:49:05

Try www.mylocalsalon.co.uk/rejuvenate.html

ExD1938 Thu 16-Jan-20 20:52:44

That posted before it was supposed to ...............
What I needed to add was that you could find out if there's one of these Rejuvenate salons in your town - they charge about £15 for a last and brow tint which lasts 6 - 8 weeks and looks perfectly natural.
All mascaras seem to flake or smudge with me these days. And you can swim without worry.

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 16-Jan-20 22:13:13

I love No.7 too.

Shinyredcar Sat 18-Jan-20 11:52:28

Thank you so much, all of you! It is helpful to know of other people's experiences and to see the recommendations.

I have in the past had eyebrows and eyelashes dyed but it was expensive and didn't last very long. I can't afford it now.

I'm intrigued by the tubing ones, Shysal, new to me. I will investigate.

I had cataracts treated in both eyes last year and no longer need to wear the glasses I have had since childhood. So the lack of definition they used to offer me has gone.

I will have a go checking out some of your recommendations. Thank you all.

travelsafar Sat 18-Jan-20 12:00:00

I use the maroon coloured one from the Rimmel range and it is fine. no smudging or clumping. I find the trick of using a nearly empty mascara first then finishing with a new one helps. Saw this tip in a mag a long time ago and it works.

Dee1012 Wed 26-Feb-20 20:38:22

Essence Lash Princess from Wilko! It’s honestly as good, if not better, than most mascaras but it costs around £3.00.

It makes my lashes look longer, more defined and curlier – it doesn't flake or make my eyes feel sore after a few hours.
I'd highly recommend it.