Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

nail envy

(22 Posts)
Grannyjacq1 Tue 28-Jan-20 19:36:56

I'm envious of all those people who go around with spectacularly varnished finger nails, When I put nail varnish on myself, I find that it tends to chip within hours/days. I'm obviously doing something wrong. Well, I'm thinking of splashing out and having them done professionally before going on holiday. Please could someone advise on what to ask for (or avoid) - gel etc. My nails are healthy and quite strong, but I've heard that gel can destroy them, and would then need to be removed professionally? Some help from gransnetters, please!

Urmstongran Tue 28-Jan-20 19:54:06

I have gel applied to my nails at a salon. It lasts about 3 or even 4 weeks without chipping and the clear top coat gives a lovely shine!

I have good nails, not brittle or flaky and I have had my manicures done this way regularly for 15y.

The gel has to be removed professionally but as I go for my next application it’s all part of the process really - remove, shape and file, reapply. Usually £20 all told.

Now acrylic nails (glued to the top of your own nails with in-fills at the cuticle area) are something I’d avoid. The nails can get damaged- I’ve seen nails that have crumbled under the falsies. Plus I think the acrylic look thicker than real nails (obviously) and can look a bit ‘hooked’ in my opinion.

SueDonim Tue 28-Jan-20 19:54:43

Gel nails are great! They last for weeks. You should get them taken off by a professional, though, otherwise you can damage your nails.

MerylStreep Tue 28-Jan-20 19:57:25

I have gel nails every 3 weeks, wouldn't be without them.
If you don't want to keep going to the salon after your holiday have the gel stripped off, it doesn't hurt ?

Coolgran65 Tue 28-Jan-20 20:08:34

I have gel nails regularly and love them. Toes done also in summer. Mine last easy 4 weeks and could last longer except for regrowth.

If I decide not to have them done again I take the gel off with acetone, available I’m Boots for about £1. Put it into a small bowl and soak nails for about ten minutes. The gel will bubble. Use a small curved nail tool to push some of it off. Nails in for another ten minutes and push off the remainder. Use a good cuticle oil afterwards.

I only do this if i can’t be bothered going to the salon.

Go for the gel nails and you will feel groomed for weeks

Jimjam1 Tue 28-Jan-20 20:10:21

I have a pedicure every six weeks. My nails are painted with OPI varnish. I usually ask for a design on my two big toes then a top coat is put on. If I’m going somewhere special I have my fingernails painted, again with a topcoat. I had gel once never again it resulted in split weak nails.

DoraMarr Tue 28-Jan-20 20:12:14

I have really short nails all the time- I really find longer nails uncomfortable. I grew them longer for my daughters’ weddings, but was so relieved to cut them the next day! I have found that gels damage my nails, so I am resigned to having short nails always. I occasionally have them manicured with a clear varnish, and they do look nicer. I haven’t got beautiful hands anyway- age spots and really big knuckles!

grannyrebel7 Tue 28-Jan-20 20:21:54

Can't bear those really long nails. I saw Ranvir Singh (a serious journalist) sporting long, yellow talons the other day and I just thought what is wrong with the woman? I don't mind normal nails with varnish but not those horrible false ones.

Marydoll Tue 28-Jan-20 20:22:40

I thought you could by wraps to remove gel polish. I recall a colleague talking about this.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 28-Jan-20 20:49:53

Have had “gel polish” on fingers and toes for approximately 12 years, could not imagine “going bare”. Fingernails every two weeks, toenails every eight.

Always short, just above fingers, just one thing less to worry about.

ExperiencedNotOld Tue 28-Jan-20 20:53:31

I’ll lower the tone. Whenever I see really long finger nails, I always think ‘yuk, how do they wipe their botty with them, yuk yuk’

agnurse Tue 28-Jan-20 20:56:41

From what I understand, acrylics can be very damaging to your nails because they actually have to be physically torn off your nails to be removed. In that regard gels are better as they can be removed without nail damage; however, there is a concern that frequent application of gel nails can increase the risk for melanoma under the fingernail due to the UV light that's used to cure gels.

Another option is to use a nail wrap. Basically, you cut the piece to the size that you need, place it over your nail, and use a hair dryer to warm it up so it will adhere. I have never used them myself, but some people swear by them. The only company I know of that makes them is an MLM called Jamberry; whether that's available in the UK, or you can get them elsewhere, I don't know.

NanKate Tue 28-Jan-20 21:44:17

I have an express manicure which is a base coat, 2 layers of varnish, then a top coat. I am then sent to a little machine which whooshes warm air on my nails for 20 minutes. I come out of the salon with lovely nails and they last for at least a week. Only costs £14.00.

Tangerine Tue 28-Jan-20 21:50:50

I maintain my own nails. Base coat, one or two layers of coloured varnish (depending on the colour) and top coat.

Usually, I wear a fairly pale colour. It generally lasts four or five days.

If you let each coat dry thoroughly before applying the next coat, it seems to stick on better.

vegansrock Tue 28-Jan-20 21:51:23

Has anyone has the dip powder nail polish, it s a bit like gel but they paint a sort of glue on then dip your nail in a coloured powder, they do it about 4 times till the colour builds up. It’s a little more expensive than gel but lasts longer and is supposed to be better for your nails. You don’t have to dry it either so is quicker.

Urmstongran Tue 28-Jan-20 21:58:09

Years ago I worried about UV light in the box to set the gel on my nails. Happily, the salon owner set my mind at rest as the box used LED lights. Apparently this is the norm in the U.K.

Dollymac Tue 28-Jan-20 22:08:47

I have my own home gel kit, it lasts, looking good, for about ten days
Quite tedious to do, but I read while they are 'curing' and once done, you can forget about chipping
To remove the gel, I have some clip on things to hold the cotton wool, soaked in remover, in places. Again, I read...
I am happy with my routine and I only use Shellac products

Jessity Tue 28-Jan-20 22:47:52

I’ve had to give up gel for a while and do my own nails (shock, horror, how to survive ?). I find OPI polishes last much longer, OPI Nail Envy as a base coat, 2 coats OPI colour, then Seche Vite top coat.

JackyB Wed 29-Jan-20 09:32:14

My nails have never been long enough to paint. I never had to cut them short for playing the piano. I take vitamin D AND Biotin tablets but they still flake and break. I have to hide them.

So if you're lucky enough to have nice nails, do flaunt them, but don't go for brash colours or silly little pictures - you'll get fed up with them after a few days and have to spend a fortune removing and/or replacing them.

vegansrock Wed 29-Jan-20 11:12:40

Short nails can be painted. If you have gel polish it helps prevent flaking and splitting.

annodomini Wed 29-Jan-20 11:29:07

If I had nail polish that lasted three weeks, I would have a bare bit of nail above the cuticle which would spoil the overall effect. Do everyone's nails grow that fast? I have quite 'pitted' nails, so I used to use Nail Envy, but, having worked well for years, it ceased to have any effect! So I replaced it with Nailtiques Formula 2 which looks like a clear polish and acts as a base if I want to use a coloured one. I have my toes done in the summer when I wear sandals, but don't see the point in the winter.

ninathenana Wed 29-Jan-20 11:38:23

My professionally applied gel polish can last up to 3 weeks. I had my nails done 15th January and again yesterday. No chips to the polish, they just needed doing due to regrowth.