Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Not so nice'easy!

(15 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Sat 07-Mar-20 15:21:03

I have been colouring my hair with Clairol's nice'easy for years and it usually gives a good result. However, the last time I used it it didn't work! I couldn't believe it. The grey roots were still annoyingly there and it was just before I was due to jet off to Prague for a city break! I didn't have time to re-do it so I had to go as I was looking like a right slob! Anyway I'm back now and we still had a lovely time grey roots notwithstanding! I just wondered if this has happened to anyone else. I intend emailing Clairol to ask for an explanation.

CherryCezzy Sat 07-Mar-20 15:47:56

Well.... hmm. Not entirely sure what has happened there *grannyrebe17^. I was told, although it might not be accurate, a number of years ago by a semi-trained hairdresser that grey roots can become stubborn after years of dyeing. There is a product on the market that is meant to help with resistance but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it at the moment. Have a Google for products for dye resistance and meanwhile I'll search my memory bank if I can remember the code to get into it grin

Annie26 Sat 07-Mar-20 15:56:34

I also used Nice 'n Easy for years until about a year ago when the same colour went much too dark. Apparently they had changed the formula. I now use Superdrug's own which is not only cheaper but the colour is so much closer to what I want.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 07-Mar-20 16:03:31

I used to use nice and easy colourant too, but having found nutritint from Holland and Barrett I use that one. Lovely range of colours, I must admit I do colour my hair quite a lot though, as soon as I see that grey appearing out comes the colourant, but when I put the colour on I blast the hairdryer on it for few mins.. to help it sink in those stubborn greys. Leave for 20 mins then wash off, I never ever use conditioner though

DanniRae Sat 07-Mar-20 16:26:42

CherryCezzy - How can grey roots become stubborn after years of dyeing?......they aren't the same roots!!

grannyrebel7 - I have used nicen'easy for years without any problems so I don't know what happened there......unless you had a product on your hair that prevented the dye from working?

rosenoir Sat 07-Mar-20 16:44:11

Maybe you had a build up of conditioner or other hair product in that area.

CherryCezzy Sat 07-Mar-20 18:13:19

Root hairs DannyRae

CherryCezzy Sat 07-Mar-20 18:20:40

I do agree that it is quite possible that another hair product could be responsible. The advice I gave was advice given to me from someone else and I was given the name of a product .... memory escapes me still. Sorry if it is no help to you.

Hetty58 Sat 07-Mar-20 18:21:09

Using a clarifying or 'volumising' shampoo before (with no conditioner) gives a clean start.

My silver roots have multiplied recently, to the point that I'm now dying it all silver. It's far easier to get the blonde bits silver - than the silver bits blonde!

Sussexborn Sat 07-Mar-20 18:22:19

I suddenly hit a point where NiceNEasy stopped giving good results. I used the roots only option for a while then found a semiretired hairdresser who cuts, colours, highlights, lowlights etc for £30. The better hairdressers around here charge £120 for the same service.

CherryCezzy Sat 07-Mar-20 18:44:40

Dye resistance is very common. Some dye products do provide cautions. The darker shades designed for older women are pretty useless at giving good coverage confused despite their claims! Dye oversaturation can also be problematic. what is the answer? ??

grannyrebel7 Sun 08-Mar-20 15:07:35

Thanks for all your responses but I have discovered what happened and it was entirely my fault. I stupidly mixed the conditioner with the stuff that activates the colour instead of the colouring solution! Duh! Definitely a should have gone to Specsavers moment!
Sorry Clairol blush

blondenana Fri 20-Mar-20 11:20:25

I have used niceneasy for years,but have now stopped,i tried the roots only one,and my hair fell out on those areas,
I found that the roots only one has something different in it to the usual one,but that one stopped covering grey roots
I have been seeing a dermatologist who put my hair loss down to stress, but it definitely has left bare patches in the areas where i used the roots stuff
Also read other repoprts about niceneasy not colouring hair the right colour, but often darker
Was advised to look at Trust pilot.there are lots of reports on it, not colouring the right colour,or even hair loss

varian Fri 20-Mar-20 11:25:03

I use Nice n Easy semi-permanent colour which, unlike the permanent version, does not contain ammonia and I've never had a problem with the roots. I sometimes also use their Root Touchup which is very effective. Which product did you use OP?

glammanana Fri 20-Mar-20 11:39:59

grannyrebel7 woops !! we have all done something similar just laugh it off if you can,I have used *N&E for years and slowly gone lighter to blend in with grey am now a very pale blonde so even when it needs re-doing its not noticeable,now that I have had 10 inches off the length I only need one box instead of two boxes which saves a few £s at least.