Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Laura Ashley going into administration.

(16 Posts)
Marilla Tue 17-Mar-20 14:11:14

I am so sad that Laura Ashley has become another much loved company to call in the receivers. I adored their patterns and loved their clothing in my twenties and thirties.
As I matured and became more interested in home matters,
I saved up to have their handmade curtains and blinds for a previous house. I now wish I had taken them with me.

Smileless2012 Tue 17-Mar-20 14:15:26

It is sad, we've had some lovely things from Laura Ashley. Just like you Marilla clothes and patterns when I was younger and things for the home when older.

Teetime Tue 17-Mar-20 14:17:04

I agree I loved LA but it hasn't been the same company for some time. Coincidentally I bought a dress there last week in Cambridge and haven't bought anything for ages.

Gaunt47 Tue 17-Mar-20 14:17:43

The company has been teetering for a while now, unable to keep on the top of fast moving trends.
I remember being so impressed with their paints and wallpapers etc in the early '80s. Sad indeed, the end of an era.

jacq10 Tue 17-Mar-20 14:22:54

Really loved her furnishings, fabrics and wallpaper in the early 80's. Moved house in 1984 and her catalogue was my bible! A festoon blind (remember them?) cost an arm and leg but it still looked good many years later when we sold the house.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 17-Mar-20 14:38:43

Mr.GG was surprised as we had our home renovated from top to bottom 15 months ago and LA has been constantly on our Credit Cards since, cushions, lights, throws etc. I will miss the furnishing side but haven’t bought any clothing there for years.

Curlywhirly Tue 17-Mar-20 15:12:22

Aw, really sorry to hear this - I love their furnture and furnishings, my house is full of their stuff. I prefer traditional houses and will find it hard to find another shop with their type of syle. Such a shame.

Happygirl79 Tue 17-Mar-20 15:20:21

The company has been struggling for quite a while.
I too liked their products but in recent years tbey seem to have lost their way
Still such a shame that yet another household name will be gone

Millie22 Tue 17-Mar-20 15:57:15

Unfortunately it's a sign of the current trend and LA failed to change with the times. People now don't want those fussy old fashioned patterns and fabrics. It's a shame they couldn't incorporate some newer designs and then things may have been different.

EllanVannin Tue 17-Mar-20 16:14:21

The only shop that seemed to have the exact colours that you were looking for in curtains and furnishings as once upon a time I used to match them up with Jeff Banks carpeting.

A sorry sign of the times and those times are well gone never to return sad

JaneRn Tue 17-Mar-20 16:18:24

I am sitting my small work room and have just realised I have Laura Ashley wallpaper and curtains, both found in the loft a year or two ago. I have not bought anything from them for ages although there is usually quite a lot of their furnishings on Ebay. Perhaps its a pity they didn't concentrate more on this part of their business?
I remember when my daughter was little every girl had to have at least one Laura Ashley dress including a "posh frock" for parties.

Maggiemaybe Tue 17-Mar-20 16:28:47

That's a shame. We have LA wallpaper in our front room and it's not a bit fussy or old-fashioned. It was also easy to hang, being good quality. My DD1 likes their home range as well, so it's not just oldies like me!

I must admit I haven't bought many clothes there for years.
I used to have a couple of very 80s winter frocks, that I actually snapped up at the school jumble sale. Loved them.

Welshwife Tue 17-Mar-20 16:38:08

I had a couple of lovely jumpers from there with flowers knitted into it - people often commented to me about them.
Their curtaining fabric is such good quality - lovely quality to work with and their designs were perfectly printed on. Not all their designs were ditsy type prints - and have not been for some years.

grumppa Tue 17-Mar-20 16:38:52

We have some LA wallpaper and curtaining, and a few other items, but it's years since DW bought any clothes there.

I bought some shares after Black Monday 1987, and did well for a few years, but it's been some time since they paid a dividend.

SueDonim Tue 17-Mar-20 16:42:52

That’s sad. I have some LA decor in my house and a few clothes.

I think it has lost its way. Their prices were too high leading to perpetual 20/30/50% off sales which makes them look cheap.

mumofmadboys Tue 17-Mar-20 16:55:09

I had a LA wedding dress. Again I loved their clothes when I was in my teens/ early 20's and more recently loved their home range.