Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Recovery after illness

(6 Posts)
Bbarb Fri 20-Mar-20 11:52:58

I'm being a bit trivial when people are so concerned about covid 19, but would appreciate any tips on skin care after illness.
I lost 2 stone and my face has sunk into a mass of lines and creases, my skin is grey, my eyelids have sunk over my eyes so they seem very small and the lashes have more or less fallen out and my neck shows every tendon.
I've been lucky until now having inherited a good complexion which needed very little care apart from a light moisturiser at night and sensible sunscreen, and I have never worn much makeup (although I do 'put my face on' for special occasions).
Does anyone have any tips for undoing the damage illness inflicted - or is this 'it' from now on?
(be as brutal as you like, I can take it).

MrsHappy Fri 20-Mar-20 20:35:27

I don't have any answers for you, but you could look at disguising the damage until your health is better. Have a look at Look Fabulous Forever. They do a range of make up and skin care for over 50's. May help.

GagaJo Fri 20-Mar-20 21:04:38

I aged a lot after cancer treatment. Up to that point I looked good for my age. Immediately afterwards, I was ok, but within six months, I'd aged a good 7-10 years.

It's not ever reversed itself. I settle now for looking less tired, rather than good.

It happens to us all eventually anyway. Mine just happened a bit sooner. Plus, I'm lucky to be alive!

Missfoodlove Fri 20-Mar-20 22:11:55

I was on strong meds for 12 months, it took its toll on my skin and hair.
Healthy living and time, my skin eventually glowed again but I needed to get the meds out of my system.

grannyrebel7 Fri 20-Mar-20 22:39:01

As you regain your strength GagaJo your face may fill out again and you will start to look more like your old self.

Dec46 Fri 20-Mar-20 23:35:28

Bharb,I'm sure you will regain some of the weight you have lost and a plumper skin should mean fewer wrinkles.
Nars Orgasm Blusher is brilliant for giving a healthy glow so might be worth trying whilst waiting for your inner glow to return
Eat well and get lots of rest and it should help with all round recovery