Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Any tips on how to blow dry your own hair

(19 Posts)
Judy54 Sun 29-Mar-20 17:40:20

Thank you Cherrytree59 for your very detailed reply but I do find using a blow dryer and brush difficult so I have succumbed to the Babyliss petite air dryer which I used for the first time today. It worked a treat and I am quite pleased with the results, just need to practice a little more.

CanadianGran Thu 26-Mar-20 20:33:27

Wouldn't it be nice to try hair tools before purchasing? I'm lucky that i have a friend that is a hairdresser and she has let me borrow a hot iron before she ordered one for me. I'm intrigued by the hair roller/dryers but would hate to spend the money and find out it didn't work for me.

When I looked on the Babyliss site they have quite a few different types of roller/dryers. I currently use a diffuser on my hair dryer to let my short wavy hair dry without frizzing.

Nonnie Thu 26-Mar-20 16:24:04

I use a straightener although I have straight hair as I can get lift and body using it. So much easier than hedgehog and blow lamp grin. Don't think DH has looked at me for years and no one else is going to see me so only do it when I wash my hair at the moment.

Cherrytree59 Thu 26-Mar-20 16:16:26

When blow drying hair with hairdryer and hair brush.
Use as big a round brush that will cope with the length of hair.

Dry hair until almost dry, before blow drying with brush.

When hair is almost dry, lift each section of hair with hair brush and blast roots again from the underside of hair, this will also give root lift.

I dry my hair (fine, medium length) using just the dryer, until hair is almost dry and then use a round hot brush to blow dry into my style.

The most important thing for me is to create root lift.

So I blast hairdryer under each section of hair right at the roots.
For extra lift I hang head forwards and let hair fall forward and blast with hairdryer.
Throw head back and finish off with round hot brush.

It is important that when blow drying hair, the hair must be completely dry, otherwise the style will just drop.

Dry shampoo is also useful to revamp style.

Again if hair medium to long lean head forward letting hair fall forward and spray the underside and close the roots.
Throw head back and use fingers, not brush to restyle.

Too much conditioner can also be a problem when blow drying fine hair.

Fine hair Tip.
Put conditioner on first, rinse and then shampoo.

Judy54 Thu 26-Mar-20 15:23:29

Thank you all for your advice. I am going to try the Babyliss petite as I have a short bob. I am sure it will be a lot easier than using a separate dryer and brush. Here's hoping!

ginny Wed 25-Mar-20 19:48:08

Always do my own( along with a six weekly cut at hairdressers) So it’s fine at the moment but still very short. I suppose it will just take more time when it starts to get longer. I’ll have to use clips and bands as hair falling or blowing in my face will drive me mad.

seacliff Wed 25-Mar-20 18:40:34

hair

J52 Wed 25-Mar-20 18:40:29

I’ll second and have the Babyliss big hair, but I also have the Babyliss static hot air brush and it’s just as good.

Also half the price

Fennel Wed 25-Mar-20 18:40:14

That's one problem I don't have - I must be a 'hothead'.
I just towel it dry as much as possible, put in the parting, comb it back, and it springs back into waves etc by itself.

Curlywhirly Wed 25-Mar-20 18:38:56

I too like the Babylis big hair brush; gives a smoother finish that blow drying with hairdryer. Also use my straighteners to finish off.

Kalu Wed 25-Mar-20 18:34:35

This was living in an old Victorian nurses home where our laundry room was in the basement along with old fashioned steel hooded hairdryers. A terrifying place to find yourself alone.

seacliff Wed 25-Mar-20 18:33:51

I like the Babylis big hair too. But you need to part dry your air before using it, or just let it dry naturally.

Kalu Wed 25-Mar-20 18:31:40

??. EllanVannin. There is always a solution!

I still chuckle at the many ways, we, as student nurses passed around money saving tips and various other methods of preparation for a rare night out.

crazyH Wed 25-Mar-20 18:26:04

Hot air brush - it does give body to my straight hair.

EllanVannin Wed 25-Mar-20 18:02:03

Underneath the old electric blow-heater in the bathroom.grin

silverlining48 Wed 25-Mar-20 17:49:35

I had one but couldn’t get on with it so took it to the charity shop. I did get a mini straightener which I find easy to use.

Smileless2012 Wed 25-Mar-20 17:43:06

My hair is very short but I used to use a hot brush and it was very effective and much easier than blow drying with a brush and hair dryer.

Kalu Wed 25-Mar-20 17:40:03

I bought a Babyliss Big Hair hot air brush last week Judy. I am pretty useless at doing my own hair, however, once I got the hang of how to use it, I was very pleased with a smooth blow dry result.

May never need to visit a hair salon again for a blow dry??

Judy54 Wed 25-Mar-20 17:25:08

I am not great at doing my own hair and usually use a blow dryer and round brush. A couple of people have mentioned hot air brushes to me and I wonder if any of you use them and how effective they are. Any tips would be gratefully received.