Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Head scarf type thing?

(30 Posts)
Greymar Thu 02-Apr-20 19:17:02

Aargh, my roots are showing, my haird is poor and thin. I was thinking of some sort of bandana or scarf. I realise this is of no consequence but has anybody tried such a device!

Fennel Tue 28-Apr-20 19:10:46

I've hesitated to post this because it's a website for people who have had chemo. But there are some good products and not too expensive
www.headcovers.com/headwear/
I've had a few things from them. Not sure if they can send from America now though.
ps Thank God I'm not having chemo but need to cover my hair sometimes for religious reasons.

Hetty58 Tue 28-Apr-20 18:56:23

1940s headscarf:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDOU044QPoU&list=TLPQMjgwNDIwMjBd6qHbXCZf9g&index=2

or use L'Oreal root touch up spray.

Daisymae Tue 28-Apr-20 17:59:49

This morning I was thinking of a hat. This could also be useful for those who have been tempted with the scissors. At the moment my hair just looks a bit messy as I had a short cut last time. However, something has to be done. Of course if it was sunny a nice straw hat would do it!

MissAdventure Tue 28-Apr-20 17:03:57

Ooh, can I have some? smile

welbeck Tue 28-Apr-20 17:02:41

was carmen miranda the lady who carried her fruit bowl on her head, now there's an idea in these straightened times, and if it doesn't work i'll eat my hat.

MissAdventure Tue 28-Apr-20 15:47:59

I can never keep headbands on my head.
I like to think it's because of my petite cranium.

MadeInYorkshire Tue 28-Apr-20 15:11:20

You can buy Root Touch Up from Amazon rather than a hat!

amazon.co.uk/s?k=root+touch+up&ref=nb_sb_noss_2]]

AGAA4 Tue 28-Apr-20 14:57:56

FlyingHandbag. Thanks. These look to be the sort of thing I need to cover my hair, which is awful after no hairdresser for ages.

ninathenana Tue 28-Apr-20 14:50:03

I know it says chemo cap but it doesn't have to be.

ninathenana Tue 28-Apr-20 14:49:06

Something like this ?

yggdrasil Tue 28-Apr-20 12:22:14

what about a hijab?

Goodasgold12 Tue 28-Apr-20 12:14:26

Glamarous! Im not! loll I wear a straw hat to go walking a thick hair band to cover my roots and wear it in a pony tail at work!

Whingingmom Tue 28-Apr-20 12:09:50

Tried a bandanna/headscarf but looked more Mrs Overall than Carmen Miranda. I’m sure others on here are more glamorous!

Sparkling Wed 22-Apr-20 05:37:12

Perhaps a Carmen Miranda type turban might be fashionable.

JackyB Tue 21-Apr-20 08:17:30

IF I go out, which I haven't been, I shall be folding one of those cotton squares diagonally, until it's a long strip about 2" wide, and tying it round my head to cover the roots, tying it at the nape, like a headband. That will also give it some semblance of order, I hope. It's too hot here for a full headscarf.

BlueBelle Tue 21-Apr-20 08:07:53

I ve got fairly thick blonde /white short choppy hair Well let’s say it’s more choppy now as every time I see a bit out of place out come the scissors haha I m told it still looks ok perhaps people are just being kind

Sparkling Tue 21-Apr-20 07:59:22

My hair since the lock down has grown so much it's at my shoulders, I tie it back in a low pony tail as don't know what to do with it. It always looks neat, but unfortunately I have a very jowly neck which suddenly decided to appear. I can't put eye make up on because of an eye infection, so look awful. The first thing I will do when this us over, after hugging everyone is get my hair done to chin length.

FlyingHandbag Mon 20-Apr-20 16:59:13

This is a good deal for a headscarf. I used to wear them and found them very glamorous but I stopped for fear of looking vulgar. I might start wearing them again as they can look very glamorous when a particularly nice one is styled properly. Even a normal scarf placed on the head, crossed under the chin and wrapped around the neck so the ends meet at the front and tied would work.
I always wear red lipstick (and sometimes sunglasses) with mine for an Audrey Hepburn/Grace Kelly look.

BradfordLass73 Fri 17-Apr-20 23:04:01

This might inspire you smile

www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/24118241

TromsoGirl Fri 17-Apr-20 17:04:36

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Greymar Fri 03-Apr-20 12:48:56

Wow, there are some nice ones there Lucca, thanks

Lucca Fri 03-Apr-20 12:40:29

Greymar did you look at the ones I suggested? There are lots of YouTube videos of how to wear them

Greymar Fri 03-Apr-20 12:07:57

I am awaiting dye. I quite fancy a sort of Carmen Miranda arrangement or a sassy red spotted neckerchief or even a bit of cultural appropriation.

I know in reality, it won't happen.wink

Alexa Fri 03-Apr-20 11:20:41

Greymar, my hair also is poor and thin. Its also dry and I would not like to be without Vitapointe applied liberally but not to the pointe of greasiness.
Since my hair became thin I prefer it short club cut, not layered, to give as much bulk as possible

gillybob Fri 03-Apr-20 10:25:07

I always do my own roots as I could never afford to have them done at the hairdressers...I hate going anyway.

Quite easy to do the front and sides and I just kind of guess the back (I can’t see the back anyway) . Why not order one for delivery if you can’t get out Greymar? One word of warning though always go a shade lighter than you think you need. Good luck smile