Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Getting rid of hair on legs

(23 Posts)
Judy54 Sun 19-Apr-20 16:27:52

Hello all I usually have my legs waxed on a regular basis something I have done for years, so the regrowth is not to bad. However there are some hairs that are annoying me is it best to use a hair removal cream, shave, use an epilator or just leave them? Any advice please.

Tangerine Sun 19-Apr-20 16:31:31

If they hardly show, why not leave them? I've always shaved my legs but get very little growth. Perhaps it's different if you have very hairy legs. My friend has always used an epilator and says it works well.

Juliet27 Sun 19-Apr-20 16:33:01

I recommend an epilator. I used to shave them but my legs got so itchy when the hairs grow through.

Allegretto Sun 19-Apr-20 16:38:21

Another epilator user here. Like waxing, they tend to reduce the number of hairs over time, so I would think that might be a better option for someone used to waxing, rather than risking mega regrow with shaving.

PamelaJ1 Sun 19-Apr-20 17:12:15

?? I’m a beauty therapist.
Shave them, the sky won’t fall and you will only have to leave them about 10days and they will be therapist ready again.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 19-Apr-20 17:53:22

If they are sparse use tweezers, that is what I do.

Esspee Sun 19-Apr-20 18:00:29

Another vote for epilator here. The one I bought from Lidl for around £15 is just as effective as my previous much more expensive one.
Shaving while fast and effective does cause ingrown hairs.

Missfoodlove Sun 19-Apr-20 18:06:45

Am I the only one thinking mine are strimmer ready?

FlyingHandbag Sun 19-Apr-20 22:45:21

When I was around thirteen and developing leg hair, my mother wouldn’t let me depilate so I used a pumice stone. It was slightly time consuming but it worked very well once I realised you have to do the same patch twice, once clockwise and once anti-clockwise.

Sussexborn Sun 19-Apr-20 23:09:28

I use Veet wax strips for my legs. I use the facial ones as well sometimes. The results only last about one week not the four weeks advertised.

annep1 Sun 19-Apr-20 23:11:56

Electric razor for me. Easy and painless.

annodomini Sun 19-Apr-20 23:45:55

I see no point in de-hairing my legs until I ditch my winter trousers in favour of skirts and crops.

GagaJo Sun 19-Apr-20 23:51:09

My top lip wax lasts about a month Sussexborn.

Hetty58 Sun 19-Apr-20 23:56:19

Just leave them and wear long skirts - or use a Venus razor!

Callistemon Sun 19-Apr-20 23:56:28

tweezers I could be there for a fortnight!

M0nica Mon 20-Apr-20 08:13:38

As someone who is very hirsute, I have always used a razor on my legs. It used to be weekly but growth has eased off in recent years so it is now only once a month, but the hairs are still coarse and dark.

I did try an epilator once, but it was useless, might as well have wiped my legs with a silk hanky, it just wasn't up to the job.

I do not waste money on 'ladies' razors, A standard men's razor does the job as well as anything else and is much cheaper.

Teetime Mon 20-Apr-20 10:16:25

I use an Intuition razor for delicate skin and then LOADS of moisturiser- I found waxing brought my eczema up.

DanniRae Mon 20-Apr-20 11:09:24

I hated the epilator that I bought - way too painful.
I shave my legs but don't have to do it very often now. Pluck the hairs from my chin/lip and use hair removal cream every now and then (Boots own is best IMO)

Judy54 Mon 20-Apr-20 12:26:33

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think at the moment I will just leave them and see how it goes or how it grows!

Ealdemodor Wed 22-Apr-20 19:25:21

Boots own brand (Expert) wax strips are good. There is a leg one, face one and bikini line one. I am finding this lockdown depressing enough, certainly don’t want unwanted hair!

midgey Wed 22-Apr-20 19:27:50

If you are not going anywhere why bother!

Galaxy Wed 22-Apr-20 19:29:06

I could plait my legs at the moment. grin

NfkDumpling Wed 22-Apr-20 20:39:51

I used to have a line around my ankle where the fur stopped. I had to have them sugared in two goes as I couldn’t cope with a whole leg in one session. But after so many years of sugaring and then waxing, plus I fear change in hormones with age, I no longer have to bother. It’ll be worth waiting to see what develops.