Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Out of fashion or sensible?

(64 Posts)
Ellianne Sun 17-May-20 11:29:56

Apparently the likes of M & S, Next and Debenhams are going to put most of this year's summer lines into storage for 2021. This is because they predict a huge discount (50 - 60%) on clothing items once the shops reopen. I know these brands are not exactly the height of fashion but will the styles be deemed last year's when they come back in store in 2021?

V3ra Sat 23-May-20 10:26:39

Just before lockdown my Dad had bought himself a new pair of dress trousers to go with his dinner jacket for two cruises this year.
Now the cruises have been cancelled and at 89 he says he'll probably never wear them ☹️

dragonfly46 Sat 23-May-20 10:53:10

I have a wardrobe full of clothes I am not wearing so will not be buying any new ones!

Apricity Sat 23-May-20 10:57:18

Does so called "fashion" really matter, especially at this difficult time? Surely at our age (and I'll be 70 soon) as long as you have clothes and accessories that you like, are comfortable and weather appropriate for wherever you live, can mix and match for a range of occasions (dress up, dress down), then being in or out of fashion doesn't really exist anymore. I am a great fan of basic clothes dressed up with some scarves, pashminas and interesting jewellery.

pat9 Sat 23-May-20 10:58:09

I usually buy from charity shops anyway and have got some lovely clothes, Even my outfit for my son's wedding- that was from a Japanese fashion show so was more expensive than the usual charity shop price. I already have too many clothes - enough to last me the rest of my life but I am always wearing my favourites although those change from time to time. Shorts in this hot weather although I'm 81 - I don't care. Comfort comes first

Caro57 Sat 23-May-20 10:59:47

There is enough ‘timeless’ stuff in those stores for it to be fine and come 2021 we will hardly have had a ‘last year’ anyway!!

Daisyboots Sat 23-May-20 11:50:15

Being tall and large I can only buy clothes when I visit England or previously when on holiday in America. Likewise shoes, boots and sandals. Last year like Annesixty I decided I have more than enough clothes to last me now so won't be buying anymore. As I have to wear a full length back brace over my clothes no one would notice if I am wearing something fashionable or not.

Babs758 Sat 23-May-20 11:56:43

I have too many swimming costumes. Hope I will be able to fit into them and have somewhere to nice to swim when this is all over!

Riggie Sat 23-May-20 12:03:26

I wear clothes for years too. I wojldnt notice if its this year, last year or 5 years ago. What mattersnjs whether I like it, and it fits in with my wardrobe and "style"

dolphindaisy Sat 23-May-20 12:18:21

I recently saw an advert for a white linen shirt, it was described as "the ideal thing to wear during lockdown" it cost £79! I suspect most people are like me, wearing all their old comfy clothes, I certain wouldn't pay £79 for something just to wear in the house.

jaylucy Sat 23-May-20 12:31:22

I actually think that there no longer is such a thing as "fashion"
Up until the 80s, if something was termed as fashionable, be it style or colour - that was all that was available to buy!
But now, each store seems to have their own ideas! I mean this year was all supposed to be pastels, with the colour blue being the one to wear. But online - can you see anything that is pastel ? Most are selling yellow - that was supposed;y for last year and as for finding anything in blue, forget it!
Many companies like Asda and Debenhams have actually cancelled their orders with the manufacturers - maybe they will now change to stocking what actually sells at the moment (I believe Joules have a turn around of 6 weeks between manufacture and shop floor and cut a lot of costs) instead of buying anything up to a year in advance and overstocking or trying to sell items that only a minority want to buy and wear!

Gma29 Sat 23-May-20 12:37:13

I’m not particularly bothered about fashion either, and buy really only if I find something that I really like (and need).

I have less clothing now, simply because finding something I like, in a colour and style that suits me, and is actually in stock is getting much more difficult.

Saggi Sat 23-May-20 13:05:02

Just what we need...less consumerism AND less moving around the world. These viruses don’t spread around the world on there own , do they! It’s been proved that most ‘business’ can be done on line...no need for people Jerri g off all the time. It’s been so peaceful without incessant noise from aircraft and road traffic!

Saggi Sat 23-May-20 13:06:21

....you’ve guessed , I suffer from a noise phobia ...i think it’s the biggest pollutant of modern times.

ALANaV Sat 23-May-20 13:07:07

Ha ...thought I was the only one ….looking at some clothes yesterday and wondering if it is time to throw out my work suits …..(I only retired 20 years ago !!!! ...the moths haven't got them, but I probably wouldn't need to wear suits now ...the jackets are in good order and still fit) so why cant I give them to the charity shop ?????? I also have summer skirts from that era...nothing wrong with them so how can I throw them away !!!!

Casdon Sat 23-May-20 13:57:23

I haven’t had anything new for ages, but wearing old clothes doesn’t make me feel that good about myself, and it’s so easy to get lazy in lockdown, put weight on and do less exercise. I’m now changing my mindset, and getting back in the groove - ready to get myself a few clothes, hair cut and nails done. I don’t care if only my family and I see them, I’ll still feel more myself.

travelsafar Sat 23-May-20 14:01:04

I fell into the 'trap' of buying two new tops at a good discount early on in the lockdown, they are both still with price tags hanging in the wardrobe unworn. I won't be buying anything more this summer for sure. I probably won't in the autumn either, i have a good winter coat which is timeless, a lovely pair of boots and shoes both purchased last winter. I dont forsee going anywhere special for a very long time. The things I am buying right now are for the home, garden and my knitting projects. New Nets and towels online. Carpets will be when the shops reopen, and i need a new blind for the kitchen.

Bakingmad0203 Sat 23-May-20 14:02:22

I too tend to keep my clothes from one year to the next as I can’t find the style and quality that I want these days.
More often than not if I get a complement from someone about what I am wearing, it’s usually something I bought 10 or 15 years ago when the cut and quality was so much better.
By the way, has anyone noticed recently that M&S jeans and trousers have the right leg not quite straight, with the seam sewn up wrongly? Or maybe I have an odd shaped right leg??

margrano Sat 23-May-20 14:16:34

Well , I am missing the charity shops for my clothes shopping - interesting clothes rather than fashion . Hope that more people will come to charity shops in future as it is the new recycling sustainable future !!!!

Daffydilly Sat 23-May-20 14:16:35

I've changed my shopping style recently. I used to go regularly to my favourite shops and look until I find something I like (which often didn't go with anything else at home).

Now I decide what I'm looking for (to go with my existing wardrobe) and look for that. It's saved me a lot of money and my clothes match! Win/win. I feel more 'put together'.

leeds22 Sat 23-May-20 14:33:26

I never really thought about M&S, it was just there and I used to pop in and buy the odd top, pair of jeans, etc. Then, we had all our luggage stolen within half an hour of leaving Malaga airport, containing our best/favourite summer clothes. Arrived in Seville in 35 C heat with a pair of pants each - how much you miss an M&S when you want a few basic undies, t-shirts and skirts.

MamaCaz Sat 23-May-20 14:53:08

By the time I consider buying something even remotely 'fashionable', it has usually been around for several seasons already, so even by next summer, this year's fashions will still be far too avant garde for me! grin

Greciangirl Sat 23-May-20 15:22:46

M&S have lovely cotton chino trousers and shorts in a whole range of colours.
Just perfect for this sort of weather.
What’s not to like. I think they cater for us older ladies, but without being frumpy.

Their clothes sections are open in the downstairs departments. I went there today for the food hall.
I still have a gift card from Xmas. Am tempted to buy some shorts. Last years are a tight fit now.

Davida1968 Sat 23-May-20 15:47:30

Well said, Margrano! I was about to mention just how much I'm missing my charity shop mooches.....

Ellianne Sat 23-May-20 17:59:43

I think Caro57 probably sums it up when she says M & S "fashions" are pretty timeless anyway, so for most if us 2020 or 2021 styles, it really doesn't matter much.
With all the catwalk shows being cancelled I bet the high end designers won't just put their stock into storage for next year. They won't want the 12 months behind look, so no doubt more unnecessary wastage by those who sadly think so highly of themselves.

readsalot Sat 23-May-20 18:39:27

I changed my attitude to clothes in 2008 when we had a recession. I decided to love what I had and buy as little as possible. I also have quite a lot of knitting wool waiting to be made into jumpers and cardigans. I have learned what my style is and buy new when there is a sale, to replace something I know I will wear a lot. I have been trying to live a 'nothing to landfill' life, or as near as possible.