Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Cosmetic con

(50 Posts)
hollysteers Thu 02-Jul-20 10:30:22

I have never believed the advice to throw your make up out after a few months and completely replace it. I believe it is a myth propagated by the beauty industry to make us buy more.. Obviously if one had an eye infection or allergic reaction, that would be a different matter.
I came across a Max Factor Swedish Formula (discontinued) brown eyeshadow from years ago and am currently using it with no ill effects.
How long do you hold on to your make up?

Greeneyedgirl Sun 05-Jul-20 18:36:56

? quizqueen ?

quizqueen Sun 05-Jul-20 13:42:10

I fail to see why women feel they need to paint their faces to face the world. Men have such better skin for not using make up although other hormonal stuff is at play as well. I have barely worn any all my adult life. I just get a reasonable tan, starting in the spring, and it lasts almost till Christmas. People think I'm in my late 50s when I'm really approaching 70.

Keffie12 Sun 05-Jul-20 13:14:06

I keep one of everything except eyeshadow palettes, which I have a few of. So its a very simple minimal makeup bag.

I don't wear full makeup everyday so it tends to last a while. Replacements by need once a year on average.

I wouldn't keep old makeup. I generally tend to get rid of eyeshadow unused after a year

www.besthealthmag.ca/best-looks/throw-out-old-makeup/

NotSpaghetti Sat 04-Jul-20 18:56:44

Don't worry - your post sounds so much more exciting than mine! Maybe someone will read it now Greeneyedgirl ?

Greeneyedgirl Sat 04-Jul-20 10:25:02

Whoops. So sorry NotSpaghetti. Half asleep this morning smile

NotSpaghetti Sat 04-Jul-20 10:05:14

That’s the study I sent a link to earlier Greeneyedgirl

Greeneyedgirl Sat 04-Jul-20 09:47:08

I don’t use much slap, mostly moisturiser, sun block and eye make up, but this thread got me thinking. I have no end of stuff which is probably years old, lipsticks, eye shadow, mascara etc. so I had a look to see if there had been any research about bacteria in old makeup.

Wow! Aston Uni did study which showed Ecoli and Staphylococci amongst other bugs are abundant in makeup. Particularly sponges used for blending. In fact most make up had levels of contamination. Whether this translates into lots of people getting ill from make up is debatable, but I may be a bit more careful in future.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 04-Jul-20 09:12:04

I only use foundation mascara and lipstick , the mascara I change every approx 12 weeks the rest I use until runs out

Nanniejude Sat 04-Jul-20 08:04:27

I have a Mary Quant pencil sharpeners from the 70s! Also an eye shadow pallete from 80s!

JanT8 Sat 04-Jul-20 08:03:04

I LOVE my makeup ! Like someone on here once said and I totally agree with her ‘ It’s built into my DNA ‘ !!

alltheglitterglue Sat 04-Jul-20 00:28:06

Some of my lipsticks are years old. I use most of the other products quite quickly, I don’t wear makeup at home.

For workdays I’ve made a grab bag of products that I use regularly. Those probably don’t last long enough for outlive their use by date.

I get rid of mascaras quickly but I find that it clumps before long anyway and I really don’t want to get conjunctivitis. Ouch.

As for skincare I use it up so it doesn’t go beyond it’s use by date.

NotSpaghetti Fri 03-Jul-20 20:04:05

eezybee I think most things have a 2 year life. It will be on the pack. An image of a jar with a number - usually in months.

narrowboatnan Fri 03-Jul-20 19:13:11

I don't have any make up. Neither does my cousin. We both went to a wedding last October and my DD came to my lovely cousin's house and did a make up session for the both of us. She texted me to say she was on her way and put these emojis on the end of it ??

eazybee Fri 03-Jul-20 18:06:18

I wear makeup every day, and although the serum is used up within six months my foundation,eye shadow and kohl eyeliner, all applied sparingly, last much longer; I couldn't afford to throw them away every six months.
My problem is, with department stores closing down here, there is nowhere nearer than twenty miles that sells Lancome, Clinique and Bobbi Brown. I know I can order online, but I am not buying a new eye shadow called 'cement' (£20 plus)before testing it.

CarlyD7 Fri 03-Jul-20 17:21:06

I didn't used to bother about how old my makeup was until I finally stopped using a bottle of foundation cream, and switched to a new one (same make and colour). I'd had a problem with small spots on my face for months and couldn't seem to shift them, but as soon as I used the new bottle, they disappeared and didn't come back. That was a salutory lesson about the levels of bacteria that can build up in old makeup. Won't do that again.

GuestCorrectly Fri 03-Jul-20 14:28:41

Oh dear, it looks as though I’m going to have to change habits of a lifetime or risk some pretty nasty sounding bacteria. No chance that my ageing products might have helped raise my immune system, I suppose?

Juicylucy Fri 03-Jul-20 14:27:14

I’m not one for throwing it out either, however I was treated to a Trinny make over last year,and went on to purchase some of her products so the old ones got thrown to make way for the replacements.

BlueBelle Fri 03-Jul-20 14:11:58

I only throw it out when it’s finished Only use eye liner mascara and lippy and in the winter a bit if foundation if I m looking white
Never worry about oldness and never had any problems

NotSpaghetti Fri 03-Jul-20 14:08:44

There is now plenty of evidence that we should not be using old make up. A Birmingham university study last year tested loads of old make up and found some really alarming contamination. You can read it here:

sfamjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/jam.14479?casa_token=dAPDrYQz3fMAAAAA:IDbeD8bHImeOHZbzpPXqoRn6aLYM7yT09lQFmWCppuEr-IrbnjPB9KO29UWxO9R1Vr4QmRO-6Kj7ag

Basically, the contamination in used cosmetic products was extensive. There were lots of dangerous pathogenic organisms. Between 70–90% of make up items were contaminated with bacteria. There were organisms including S.aureus, E.coli and C.freundii in used products - though some may have come in through handling.

It also found things in the products which are banned in the EU. This was worst in “look alike” products.

Of particular concern was the possible introduction to the body of the micro-organisms and pathogens that, if used round the mouth or eyes (which of course is where make up is likely to be) could cause infection. This could be particularly dangerous for anyone with a compromised immune system.

I know I have kept items for years - but I am getting more conscious of the risks as I get older. I think it would make sense for me to have a clear-out really.
Why be ill for a few pounds?

grandtanteJE65 Fri 03-Jul-20 13:21:07

Mine is at least thirty years old! If lipsticks etc. turn rancid, you can smell that. Until they do, I see no reason not to use them, although I might throw it all out if a contracted the dreaded virus.

handbaghoarder Fri 03-Jul-20 12:56:40

Have make up thats years old, though my eyes are sensitive to some mascaras so that gets replaced quite often. Or rather, it did ! Since Lockdown I go for weeks with none on at all. As I always worked outside the home make-up was part of my everyday wardrobe, didnt feel dressed without it. When I retired I relaxed a little and just wore mascara every day. Since March nothing at all. Not going anywhere, no one calling in so havent bothered. Pretty sure it will make a reappearance once normal service is resumed.

grannyscott Fri 03-Jul-20 12:08:36

Bought Max Factor in 1969. Wore it once & didn’t like the feel of it on my face. I still have it all but have never worn makeup since. I have good skin though & very few wrinkles. Maybe it’s in the genes. I wash My face in cold water with a face wash but never soap.

geekesse Fri 03-Jul-20 12:05:59

I haven’t worn any make up for about 40 years. Back then, hypo-allergenic products were horribly expensive and I was hard up. I bought some cheap mascara for a party and all my eyelashes fell out. Once I got used to having nothing on my skin, I couldn’t stand the feeling of a caked face, so never bothered again.

Freeandeasy Fri 03-Jul-20 11:52:13

I clean out my plastic make-up bags (you know the ones you buy in three’s from B....s) every few months or so. I don’t wear much, just light foundation, a bit of eye shadow, mascara and lip gloss. I always feel better when I’m wearing it. I wash my brushes out every week too. I know what suits me and I’ve experimented with different brands in the past but now tend to stick to the same ones and just replace them when necessary. I’ve made some expensive mistakes in the past, lured by those advertising campaigns- but no more! I had my eyebrows tattooed a few years back and they are beginning to fade a bit now, so I always colour them in, even if some days I’m not wearing makeup as they define my face and I look a bit wish-washy without it!

Quizzer Fri 03-Jul-20 11:49:52

I think I win on the oldest makeup race! I still have an eyeshadow I wore on my wedding day in 1971, 49 years ago. It's yellow, which is probably why I never wore it again. I don't mean it has gone yellow, it always was a pretty lemon colour. I wore it with other colours on the day.
Otherwise, I do change my make up fairly regularly, but mostly because it gets used up.