Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

No more hair colour

(122 Posts)
maydonoz Fri 03-Jul-20 17:06:58

Tomorrow I have a hair appointment but for the first time I will just have a trim, I have decided to embrace the greys and not have my roots done again. I have threatened to do this before but have laterchangedmy in d, however this time I'm decisive.
I wondered if anyone else has made the same decision during lockdown.

123kitty Sat 04-Jul-20 20:06:37

I'm on Team thecatshat.

Forestflame Sat 04-Jul-20 19:08:09

I had my hair dyed blonde - until lockdown! The colour has nearly all grown out now. I have an appointment to have it cut on Wednesday and I can't wait. However I am going to leave the colour for now and see how it looks. If I do have it coloured again I may go for the lovely metallic silver that is do popular. Woodmouse and Danmar your hair looks lovely.

lilypollen Sat 04-Jul-20 18:45:11

WOODMOUSE49 you look fab! My last colour - hi and lo lites was 32 weeks ago. I haven't seen my natural colour for over 30 years. I'm pleasantly surprised to find that although there is grey I am ash blonde and DH says he loves it. No more expensive colour for me.... sorry hair salon!!

Buffybee Sat 04-Jul-20 18:34:51

I can’t wait until my appointment to get my hi-lights done again.
Neither myself nor any of my friends have ever contemplated grey hair.

JaneRn Sat 04-Jul-20 18:33:30

Started going grey in my thirties,never even considered colouring it. We all get older, and surely keeping your figure - and looking after your skin is far less aging than grey air.

f77ms Sat 04-Jul-20 18:09:39

I'm not ready for grey hair ! I've done my roots once since the hairdresser closed in march and will go and get it done all over once the rush has died down. I feel so much better when my colour is done and have also started wearing make up and a bra again. I'm not embracing the grey at all.

Danma Sat 04-Jul-20 17:59:01

I love my white hair, I can make it any colour I want. This is my lockdown look

lemongrove Sat 04-Jul-20 17:25:28

Lupin

I, too, lost my hair last year because of chemotherapy. It has come back a completely different texture and colour. From straight light brown with highlights - worn in a long bob, I now have wavy, slightly course textured hair in a shade I call frosted donkey. I badly need a hair cut at the moment but I have embraced short hair, and the colour which now goes with my face age wise, I love the fact that my hair has some body in it now. I am having a hair cut on Wednesday and won't have a colour. I have had enough of being a slave to my roots.

?I think I have seen that colour advertised ( frosted donkey)
Anyway, it sounds nice, and if you have more body in your hair now, that’s a good thing.
Am still grinning at teetime saying that she looks like a startled mop head.?

LynneH Sat 04-Jul-20 17:23:04

Thought about it. Couldn’t do it. I love Nice n’ Easy, especially Age Defy

Freeandeasy Sat 04-Jul-20 17:22:42

I am sorry to hear of your hair loss Lupin but so pleased for you that it has come back (albeit a different and colour). Hair is important to women and hair loss, either through cancer or alopecia, must be very hard to deal with emotionally.

I am SO envious of those of you who managed to get an appointment for next week - or even today!!! How have you managed that? My appointment is on the 23rd and I can’t wait. For those in Scotland, I’m sorry you have to wait a bit longer - but it will be worth it. I totally “get” those who don’t want to colour their hair again but it’s not for me. As I posted earlier, my hair went white in my early 30s. One winter, when I was only in my late 30s or early 40s it was snowing slightly and I had my hood up whilst shopping in town. A blustery wind blew my hood down and I was passing a mother with her child who came rushing towards me, said “mind how you go, watch that old lady; sorry,” she mumbled. I was traumatised!!!! That’s when I began the reverse low lights!

Lyndylou Sat 04-Jul-20 17:18:54

I do think it all depends on the shade of grey. Some people can look fantastic but not me. My hair colour has not gone from the roots over lock down, rather it has faded all over. It looks washed out and it makes me feel dowdy. I have to wait for my appointment for a colour and cut until the 23rd, to be fair I was the last in the salon the day before lock down!! I can't wait, but I must admit I am looking forward even more to the lady who cuts my toenails coming on Monday. I just can not get to my little toes and the nails have gone feral.

SummerJ Sat 04-Jul-20 17:18:09

I absolutely hate the grey - on me that is! I have ‘root touched’ a couple of times since the beginning of 'lockdown' but it just wasn’t right. My amazing mobile hairdresser has, this afternoon, highlighted my hair and it feels great, the biggest ego boost for months! A good cut, shape and colour has steered things towards normality!

maydonoz Sat 04-Jul-20 17:16:13

Hi all Wow I didn't expect so many comments on this thread but I suppose it's a dilemma we all share.
So I emerged from my hairdresser this am, having spent just 15 mins in the chair as opposed to 90 mins, as well as saving time I saved a packet too, £18.00 for a trim, before £50.00 for trim plus colour. Also my hair was in poor condition which I think will improve.
I feel I've made a good decision and am planning to stick to it.

Thecatshatontgemat Sat 04-Jul-20 16:52:52

I would, if my grey was silver or beautiful white, but it's not. It's that dreary ugly gunmetal grey. Ageing, awful, and very unflattering.
I have kept up with the dye jobs throughout lock down.
Standards darling, standards......

Lupin Sat 04-Jul-20 16:35:43

I, too, lost my hair last year because of chemotherapy. It has come back a completely different texture and colour. From straight light brown with highlights - worn in a long bob, I now have wavy, slightly course textured hair in a shade I call frosted donkey. I badly need a hair cut at the moment but I have embraced short hair, and the colour which now goes with my face age wise, I love the fact that my hair has some body in it now. I am having a hair cut on Wednesday and won't have a colour. I have had enough of being a slave to my roots.

Candelle Sat 04-Jul-20 16:31:32

I had an allergic reaction to home hair colouring last July and after seeing how horrific a reaction can sometimes be (don't look unless you have a strong stomach!) I had little choice but to go 'au naturel'.I did consider using a natural hair colouring product but thought I'd be brave and see what I looked like in its un-dyed state, as surely, it could only take 6 - 9 months, couldn't it?

I still say I look like a demented badger and thought that losing the colour would be faster than it is.

I am dark brown with perhaps 15% grey all over the back but... hair at my temples is silver (aka white! The good news is that I can see it will suit my skin tone)

However, the worst and of course, most noticeable bit is my fringe to crown which has 30% grey but with the old caramel colour still clinging on for dear life.

As the colour went on in last July I really thought that it would have gone by now but it's still there, hence the demented badger comment.

How long does it take for ear-length hair to grow out? Any one know?

I am booked in with a new hairdresser next week and it will be interesting to see what she can do with it - in terms of a cut.

Stella14 Sat 04-Jul-20 16:24:33

I went grey before lockdown (a couple of years ago) and have been so glad I did. Grey roots on coloured hair look awful IMO. I would have struggled with the during lockdown if 8 had still been having my hair coloured.

Nanna58 Sat 04-Jul-20 16:19:34

Will never embrace the greys. My sister has over lockdown and my mother yesterday mistook her for one of the retirement home neighbours, I said “ that’s why I’ll keep on colouring!”

Willow500 Sat 04-Jul-20 16:00:21

I really love the new steel grey fashion but I've been disappointed today - did two strand tests and neither seem to have worked. The first one was to strip the colour out which is a darkish blonde - the last colour I put on was about three weeks ago. The other strand was to see if the steel grey I want it to be would work on the existing colour. I can't see any difference in either. I did use a purple shampoo after to see if it would take the yellowish colour down and my husband said it looked lighter. I'm going to take the plunge tomorrow and just put the colour on. I can't see my hairdresser opening again for some time if ever so I plan on carrying on with the DIY if possible - she'll no doubt tell me off when I do finally see her (she's been doing my hair for over 20 years and is as much a friend as hairdresser smile )!

Ninarosa Sat 04-Jul-20 15:57:38

That's lovely hair WOODMOUSE49.
I'm 20 long months into my au naturale journey. I hated the first year, was saddened to see the contrast between my luscious caramel lowlights and my dusty pit boots crown. I mentally marked off the important milestones I survived, ie Christmas, birthday, holidays ( eek ), yet another Christmas and another big lockdown birthday, which was a doddle !
My hair now has a sort of ombré look which I quite like, and may copy when it's cut off. Yes, it's not as vibrant but I do try harder with my make up, lipstick etc.

Ellymae Sat 04-Jul-20 15:35:31

Excuse the typos.

Ellymae Sat 04-Jul-20 15:34:14

I have decided to let my grey shine through, I am going to ask mt hairdresser to out the nice silver colour on which I have seen many younger girls wearing.

But first I still need to grow out the rest of my colour.
If I don't like it, it will be back to highlights again.

Taichinan Sat 04-Jul-20 15:30:15

I was a happy grey/white before lockdown, but I have found that I suit it in a longer style. But I'll be glad to get some cut off - it needs layers. Goodness knows when that will be. In Scotland our hairdressers don't open until the 15th, and then there's a long long queue of appointments!

Sueki44 Sat 04-Jul-20 15:29:49

I’ve got to say that I think many people who dye their hair look older....particularly if they choose a harsh dark colour or that improbable chestnut that men seem to select! Tom Jones looked so much better when he stopped dying his hair black. Highlights/ lowlights are so much more flattering than a solid block of colour and so much more forgiving of regrowth - that 1/2 inch of grey is very aging.

Kaggi60 Sat 04-Jul-20 15:23:53

I am going grey done it before and got half way now I think I would let it go all the way. I am looking forward to see probably will dye it if doesn't suit.Everyone says it is a nice colour .