Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Best beauty brands for older skin? Recommendations please?

(93 Posts)
grantothree Fri 10-Jul-20 16:39:50

During lockdown I had a good sort of the bathroom and also the product stash I keep under my bed. So many things out of date or simply not suitable for me anymore. blush I tend to get in a rut using just soap and water for a bit, and then have a spurt of buying into a new regime and not sticking to it. I've recently tried Liz Earle cleanser which I quite enjoy and I think my face is feeling smoother and...cleaner?

When it comes to makeup I do tend to stick to a light foundation (incl spf) and then just mascara and a soft coloured lippy. But I want to start making more of an effort. My daughter recommends things to me but I'm not convinced they're right for my age (or colouring, she has olive skin and I'm very fair).
Where do you go for skincare or makeup? Are there any brands/products you swear by? If you have the time please add a link so I can find the exact thing you're talking about and don't have to guess. Often products have very similar things in the same range and it gets confusing. Thanks in advance. smile

Neva2bananna Tue 21-Jul-20 02:48:05

Gt66

I had rosacea for a few years but found Avenè in Boots and after 6 months it was gone and I could go back to using anything!

Neva2bananna Tue 21-Jul-20 02:43:33

I use Drunk Elephant Little Ones for night time skin cleanser and day creams but I use either Clarins skin polisher or Aveenè skin polisher and each morning wash with Clarins foaming cleanser. For make I run between Garnier BB cream or Ester Lauder Double Wear in the light. I like Charlotte Tilburys blusher with shaped brush and her lipsticks are very young and funky without looking like ‘mutton’ . All this said, I have begun to dabble with Younique which I like and the proceeds go towards helping girls and women develop independently. I can recommend their face wipes - for a freshen up not a full cleanse. Good luck everyone. Lovely interesting subject thankyou OP

Mambypamby Fri 17-Jul-20 18:09:59

I agree, I've binged on Caroline H for hours then over lockdown she seemed to get very very angry and shouty so I'm afraid I unfollowed her. She is informative but I agree easily distracted.

Keffie12 Thu 16-Jul-20 22:31:58

If you go to a reputable store like John Lewis, Bodyshop, Boots for example you can book to have a makeup demonstration.

They do your makeup for you showing you how to do it. Then you can buy the products if you wish

As for skin, a good cleanser, toner, day snd night cream plus eyecream is the usual regime..

I love dermalogica products. They are more expensive but last ages

gt66 Mon 13-Jul-20 17:56:29

Sawsage2

Does anyone suffer from rosacea of the cheeks like I do. Have you found anything that works?

After years of 'problem skin' that I now believe is actually a mild form of rosacea, I've found the 'Antiage' range from Tesco very good (for me). The cleanser contains rosehip, is very gentle and has really calmed my skin. They also did a range containing aloe vera, which is mostly discontinued, but I still have a supply of their Aloe moisteriser, which I've also found extremely good and they're not expensive at all.

grantothree Mon 13-Jul-20 16:42:18

I've haven't been checking Gransnet over the weekend and now to come back and see all these responses - well, thank you so much. I'm going to investigate the most popular suggestions here and also look up Caroline Hirons. Yes, I also agree re the SPF. that's the one thing I have been fairly good about over the past 10 years or so - probably because I know my skin is so fair and doesn't cope well with too much sun exposure anyway. Thank you all.

Jumblygran Sun 12-Jul-20 00:10:04

Most posters have been talking about skin care. I have red hair and fair skin, in my forties I started having problems with ruddy skin, the first thing I did which has made the most difference is to wear a proper sunscreen under my make up, EVERY day, Clinique City Block is good. Now days In my sixties I like to use some vitamin c Booster in the morning to even out my fair skin tone and at night after double cleansing a mixture of three different products under my moisturiser Estée Lauder advanced night repair one night, Dr Denis Gross retinol serum the next night, Paula’s Choice 8% AHA lotion the next night. Some of this stuff is expensive and I am gradually looking for cheaper options. Deciem, The Ordinary, and Paula’s Choice are worth looking at. I use a nice rich night cream on top, at the moment Tatcha Dewey Skin Cream it is a bit pricey. I know oils are often loved and recommended but if you have the fine skin that goes with red hair you may find you break out, I do, the one oil I have found which doesn’t do this for me is Clinique Smart Treatment Oil. Also Clinique take the day off has the same oil and it is good for removing make up.
I don’t wear heaps of make up but I have recently found a Lovely tinted moisturiser Synchro Skin Tinted Gel Cream by Shiseido for me in 2 light. It leaves your skin looking soft and natural, it is a bit shiny so I often do a light dusting of powder on top. For eyeshadow I used Mac Paint Pots my main colour is Layin Low, I have stopped using eyeliner I think it ages me. I use and hourglass arch pencil on my completely blond eyebrows. For mascara try Kevin Aucoin the Curling Mascara it creates a tube around the lashes and comes off with water. If you cry a lot I wouldn’t recommend. I use a Nars blusher In Gina, they have lovely colours.
I know I have been specific about what I do but at the risk of sounding a bit up myself I get people asking me what I do with my skin.

Bluegrass Sat 11-Jul-20 22:17:52

Grantothree
It would be interesting to know what you choose and how you get along with your chosen products.

Bluegrass Sat 11-Jul-20 22:15:17

I also am a Nivea fan. I've used their 24 hour moisturiser for many years. They have 3 types 'Nourishing', 'Soothing' and the one I use is 'Refreshing'. I've tried others and though they are more expensive and very nice, I still return to my old favourite. It seems to just feel right and like your skin is rebalancing after application. It's just £4 at Boots and at present you can buy 3 for the price of 2. An opportunity to try perhaps? By the way, it also comes in a tinted version. My favourite foundation is Rimmel, the one with the orange cap. It covers but is not heavy and it has a brightening effect. Good luck.

Flygirl Sat 11-Jul-20 21:21:35

Please...take a look at Look Fabulous Forever. Skincare and makeup made especially for older skins! The Company is headed up by Tricia Cusden, who is avidly in support of pro-aging, not anti-aging, and advocates striving to look the best you can be at any age. She was totally fed up with being sold products unsuitable for mature skins and so she set up her own company at the age of 65, and it has really flourished! She is now in her 70s and has loads of videos online as to which products to use and how to apply them. 100% recommend. Look Fabulous Forever brand is also now known as LFF, and Tricia does a weekly blog on email. You won't be disappointed. There is an LFF Facebook page, website, or Google Tricia Cusden.

Oldfogie Sat 11-Jul-20 21:04:20

I am another advocate of Nivea but I use the lotion in the white bottle, a bottle lasts for about a year, you need a little bit each day and it leaves your skin feeling lovely and soft and hydrated. It costs about £3:99 a bottle. I use either Liz Earle or Tropics cleanser - both lovely to use. I dont wear much make up, dont like the feel of it on my skin but I have read that L'Oréal foundation is very good.

rozina Sat 11-Jul-20 20:58:57

Sawsage2 you need to use a green cream on the rosacea.

Grandmama Sat 11-Jul-20 20:54:08

After using Olay Provital as my go-to moisturising cream for years, I tried a L'Oreal cream then moved on to The Ordinary. There is a wide range of facial produces and it is very reasonably priced, available at Fenwicks and possibly Boots. All products around £5 and they all have very good reviews. I'm using the moisturing day cream with HA (hyaluronic acid). It is absolutely non-greasy. The 1% retinal in Squalane cream has had good reviews.

TwinLolly Sat 11-Jul-20 19:56:50

It's ages since I've used makeup but have consistently used coconut oil or raw shea butter on my face and body. They are natural and chemical free. Perfect for any age.smile

annodomini Sat 11-Jul-20 19:54:27

Much as I love Liz Earle products, I have found that a much cheaper product is as effective a moisturiser as theirs. I have been using Aldi's own brand 'Caviar' moisturiser. It goes on smoothly and is easily absorbed. It has the added advantage for me in that it is not tested on animals.

Joplin Sat 11-Jul-20 18:46:32

CBD cream from H&B did wonders after I'd had to have an anti-cancer cream applied on my face for a month. I now use both the day & night cream. They also have argon oil creams which are very good.

BlueBelle Sat 11-Jul-20 18:19:43

Whatever ears on offer usually Rommel or anything cheap in make up beauty products soap and water and coconut shampoo from Savers
Did you all know that Savers is Superdrug but cheaper

Sawsage2 Sat 11-Jul-20 17:38:22

Does anyone suffer from rosacea of the cheeks like I do. Have you found anything that works?

9pins Sat 11-Jul-20 17:27:53

You will find loads of videos from Caroline Hirons on YouTube and Instagram. Also Nadine Bagget ( think that's the surname) another skincare expert. You will recognise Nadine's face I'm sure. They both give excellent, very similar, advice. I've w passed away many an hour watching both of them during lockdown. As a result of which I use Beauty Pie and the Inlet List. Both fabulous. I find Nadine easier to watch as Caroline can be a bit all over the place and distracted.

Plunkie Sat 11-Jul-20 16:16:04

I swear by products from America called City Beauty - expensive but worth it. Sad thing is you have to pay Customs charge but the company do good deals like buy 2 get 3rd for nothing.

PipandFinn Sat 11-Jul-20 16:15:15

Gingergirl

This is online, but I’ve been pleased with Beauty Pie products so far. I’m in my 60s and have sensitive and dry skin. I like that they do no animal testing, their packaging is eco friendly and they use minimum chemicals/preservatives. I pay £5 a month for a monthly membership, to get the lower prices.

That sounds interesting. I think I'll take a quick peep at that...

PipandFinn Sat 11-Jul-20 16:10:26

I love the Ordinary products too. They use fantastic ingredients but cut back on the packaging so they're able to sell Serums and Creams at vastly reduced prices. I buy most of what I need with Asos as I pay £10 subscription for a year and get everything delivered for free.....Big saving on delivery...The Buffet serum is fantastic along with Vitamin C and retinol...I'm 63 and my skin is lovely. Also ALWAYS use a Broad Spectrum Sun Cream.....

Greciangirl Sat 11-Jul-20 15:58:04

No.7, protect and perfect face and neck serums.

There is a wide range, so pick the one to suit your needs.

Mamma7 Sat 11-Jul-20 15:51:32

I use everything from Gatineau, Elemis and Decleor to No 7 or Aldi - don’t really notice the difference between any of them!!

jerseygirl Sat 11-Jul-20 15:27:30

When we get a bit more back to normal go to a Boots no 7 counter. They will give you a free makeover , give you advice and recommend the right products for you. They are really good at what they do. I went to them about 12 months ago because like you i was in a bit of a rut. I'm glad i did because they were really helpful.