Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Stains on wedding outfit

(5 Posts)
Elliebeth Sat 25-Jul-20 15:21:16

Have been having a clear out and thought I would donate my wedding outfit ( sons wedding ) to the charity shop. Our local hospice has a designated shop for those items. It is 14 years old but still a modern style and was in its original dress bag,. We moved house last year and it was in storage. When I unzipped it today the lining has marks on it which I assume are caused by damp. Is there something maybe a dry cleaner could do or is it a lost cause. It’s an American make and it would be nice if someone else could use it. Any suggestions please.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 11-Aug-20 12:14:06

Is the garment washable?

If it is, put washing up liquid on the stains and rub it in.

Leave the garment until the liquid is completely dry, then wash it on the cycle you normally use for the garment.

If the garment has to be dry cleaner, ask the cleaner whether they can remove the stains or not.

25Avalon Tue 11-Aug-20 12:18:47

I have found a little wash stain remover sprayed on sometimes removes marks. Otherwise charity shops always clean everything that comes in so you may like to ask them.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 11-Aug-20 14:48:07

charity shops always clean things

No they don’t, they steam clothes to get the creases out, no way would they have the resources to clean donations of clothing.

Fernbergien Tue 11-Aug-20 16:11:20

I found that-
1. Hand sanitiser removes ball point marks
2. Baby wipes good on stains
I do realise might not be suitable for your problem.