Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Fashion brands for Cool Gransnetters!

(79 Posts)
Stella14 Tue 01-Sep-20 21:30:58

I think it’s great that more and more, we see older, even old, women, still enjoying striking fashion and looking ‘sharp’! I’m not into throw away season-to-season fashion, but I have always enjoyed wearing clothes with a bit of edge, a bit quirky maybe. I used to wear a lot of Boden, I like a bit of Hush and The White Company and have just discovered Baukjen. I’d love to know what other ranges Gransnetters like.

AmberSpyglass Sat 16-Jan-21 16:31:39

I love White Company, but they get swamped with orders around autumn/winter because they’re such a cosy brand. I think they’ve done pretty well out of lockdown with everyone wanting comfort!

chelseababy Sat 16-Jan-21 15:29:53

Thank you to Gransnetters who recommended Weird Fish, I'd never heard of them. Got 2 half price tops in their sale which arrived today. Seem good quality.

Lisagran Sun 10-Jan-21 14:29:09

Looking forward to shopping (instore) for new clothes sometime - shallow, aren’t I?

Fernbergien Sun 10-Jan-21 14:26:43

Bought a dress on line from Seasalt. Lovely.Sale price. Like their unique way of sizing you. Perfect fit.
Get tempted too often. My excuse. I have dropped a size. Also I have the knack of finding nice bargains.

lemongrove Thu 10-Dec-20 23:12:50

Debenhams have a closing down sale with big price reductions just now, both in store and online.

BlueSapphire Thu 10-Dec-20 20:48:20

Getting to be nearly a year since I went into a clothes shop, but I love Fatface. Rarely come out of their stores without buying something!

sprite66 Tue 08-Dec-20 10:02:30

The White Company. Two weeks ago I ordered an item from them, it has been shown as with the courier since the day after placing the order. Courier has yet to receive item. I cannot get through to them on the phone and emails are ignored.
Check reviews before placing an order- White Company have 73% bad.

sparklingsilver28 Sat 10-Oct-20 14:22:47

Landsend order via USA site if colour, style, trousers not found on its UK one.

sparklingsilver28 Fri 09-Oct-20 23:10:28

Arrived this week from USA two pair of Lands End Sports Corduroy Trousers in lovely french navy and grey. Love M&S Leather Pumps Low Heels. Have them in green, mustard, yellow, lavender, navy, grey, silver, gold, and lion animal print. M&S cashmere sweaters: pale pink, pale blue, mustard, cornflower blue, navy silver, aqua, and pale green. At least one change for every day of the week. Live on the borders of Scotland and feel the cold in winter so great. Love "Spirit of the Andes" (but these are very expensive) Alpaca long cardigan jackets, mine almost all twenty years old and good as new. My clothes collected over many years and well looked after and in good condition. Just now looked at "Kettleworth" and loved what I saw also love Sahara (again rather expensive) but both very much my style.

TheFrugalPiggy Fri 09-Oct-20 16:28:22

Seasalt and Fat Face for clothes - but mostly charity shops. Timberland for boots. Birkenstocks for sandals. Eleanor's Attic for bags.

NotTooOld Fri 09-Oct-20 16:20:35

White Stuff for jeggings, Uniqlo for t-shirts, jackets and coats, Hotter for boots. But I'm trying not to buy much for winter this year. Lockdown (and the possibility of moving next year) has made me re-assess my wardrobe and I'm cutting back. No more stuff I never wear or might wear if I lose a stone in weight (highly unlikely!). I want a wardrobe consisting only of clothes I actually wear.

Jaxjacky Fri 09-Oct-20 16:05:41

M&S jeans, jeggings - long. George/Charity shops/Matalan jumpers, ditto shorts. T shirts M&S long, shorts Matalan. Summer dresses and skirts from second hand shops in UK and the linen mixes from shop in France. (rarely worn in the UK)
Denim jacket and fleece Joe Browns sale, winter coat:French market.

M0nica Fri 09-Oct-20 15:51:32

I am not a prolific clothes buyer. I plan my wardrobe, work out what garments are needed for a reasonable turnover of different outfits and buy those. I am dressing now as I have always dressed, regardless of COVID. I dress to please myself, nobody else, so since I was entirely happy with the style of clothes I wore pre-COVID why change?

As far as brand go I am prepared to look at and consider everything. My trousers usually come from Landsend, because I am narrow between groin and waist and their dropped waist trousers are a comfortable fit around the waist. Otherwise anything goes.

My current winter wardrobe includes clothes from Sainsbury's, H&M, Woolovers, Cotton Traders, Lands End, a fair trade store, East, Next, a supermarket in France, Oxfam, Sue Ryder charity shop, a hand knitted sweater, yarn and pattern form the local knitting shop, ebay.

Once clothes are no longer wanted, worn out or unfashionable they will be into the textile recycling skip or down to the local Charity shop within a week. I have very few clothes that are not worn regularly - and most of those are special occasion clothes, smart or casual.

Anniezee Thu 08-Oct-20 10:23:39

I find Esprit a good brand. Fashionable, but not too much so. Sizing is good, not too expensive.

grannycakes Fri 11-Sep-20 12:32:50

Saint & Sofia trousers are great and they do a variety of leg lengths - great for me at just 5 foot

MawB2 Fri 11-Sep-20 12:30:11

I’m with Janea on this. I have things I haven’t worn for years but I like them so I keep them. Easy as that!
But once I make up a charity shop bag I have to take it over as soon as I can or I sneak all the clothes back again!
Without wishing to just repeat the old “Whats happened to M&S” theme, I did actually walk through a major branch yesterday and there was not a single item I would have taken as a gift sad

Lucca Fri 11-Sep-20 12:16:01

I’m fed up having to buy online mostly as my town is full of closed down shops and the nearest city has a bit of Covid spike going on at the moment so I can’t go off to Zara Mango Skechers etc etc

janeainsworth Fri 11-Sep-20 11:39:24

Kate My wardrobes are fit to burst. I find it hard to get rid of clothes that I only wear once or twice a year but I still like them
I love the way you put ‘wardrobes’ in the pluralgrin
It’s nice to know someone has the same problem as me.
Recently I took 3 items from my wardrobe, intent on putting them into a charity bag. I hadn’t worn any of them for 10 years.
They all went back in the wardrobeblush
Is there ‘help’ available for sufferers do you think?

Sar53 Fri 11-Sep-20 11:26:32

Great thread this. My favourite brands are White Stuff, Fat Face but I only buy in their sales. Monsoon for smart dresses, alas only online now. M&S occasionally, mainly t shirts and jeans.
Sketchers, Clarks and Hotter shoes, boots and sandals.
I recently bought a Seasalt long sleeved t shirt in their sale and I often buy tops from Sainsburys.
I don't really need any clothes at the moment but I'm always checking the sales online, I rarely buy anything at full price anymore.

Marydoll Fri 11-Sep-20 08:27:46

Lucca, oh I won't be buying, I have already over indulged, blush compensation for my annual Rome trip today being cancelled. ?
I'm reigning myself in. I must be the best dressed shielder in Glasgow. wink.
Unfortunately there is no-one to see nor admire my purchases, except DH, who has absolutely no taste, apart from marrying me. grin

Lucca Fri 11-Sep-20 08:22:40

Marydoll

I like them all!!!! ?

I'm such a shallow person! sad

Could you accidentally buy me the marine blue one whilst you’re at it ?

Puzzler61 Fri 11-Sep-20 08:07:25

I like some of the Together dresses (one of the Kaleidoscope franchises, been around for years).
Thought is online and has shops, and I bought a tunic from them just a few weeks ago.
Shoes have to be Sketchers or Rieker for my awkward feet. Very little else is comfortable/ wide enough at the toes for me.

Marydoll Fri 11-Sep-20 08:04:33

Kate, we could be twins!!! wink

NanKate Fri 11-Sep-20 07:56:26

My wardrobes are fit to burst. I find it hard to get rid of clothes that I only wear once or twice a year but I still like them.

Marydoll Fri 11-Sep-20 07:54:00

I like them all!!!! ?

I'm such a shallow person! sad