Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Brands we have loved and lost?

(128 Posts)
MawB2 Thu 10-Sep-20 10:12:02

I am saddened and a bit worried about the “brands” and shops that are biting the dust these days.
Of course I can exist without them, but as I have got older I find there are certain labels which suit and fit and in which I feel comfortable - experimenting gets expensive.
I really miss Country Casuals and wish I had kept more of their things in years gone by.
I used to love Principles shops and the label Précis Petite as I am 5’2”.
I miss Weekenders - same reason As CC - wearable clothes, great value for money.
I lament the disappearance of the shoe shop Shoon in Bournemouth -I always found something I liked there -even at a price.
I feel sad about Hotter shops and concessions disappearing and I wonder if they can last. Their suede Pixie boots are so comfortable you could wear them as slippers!
Who do you miss or who do you fear might disappear?

biba70 Tue 27-Oct-20 22:20:15

I still wear some of my BHS tops. And on the EU Continent, we still have C&A- buy quite a few bits from there.

Deedaa Tue 27-Oct-20 22:17:47

East was always too expensive for me but they did do nice affordable jewellery.
I'm another one who never got over Biba going. The current reincarnation is nothing like the original. Apparently when Biba was sold over Barbara Hulanicki's head in 1975 the new owner's phoned the next day to ask when she would be coming in to work. They hadn't realised they were only buying the name, not the inspiration.

Whingingmom Mon 26-Oct-20 15:40:28

Woolworths for the PicknMix !!!

TwiceAsNice Thu 22-Oct-20 09:13:24

Dorsetcupcake you can get Anne French cleansing milk from Amazon

Lavazza1st Thu 22-Oct-20 08:48:11

Aww I used to love Clothkits too! I thought there was a shop in Chichester? Yes I just checked and its still there clothkits.co.uk/

travelsafar Thu 22-Oct-20 08:33:35

Loved C & A when i was younger also the little boutique shops that were around in the 60's. There are so many shops and brands that have disappeared over the years and i am sure there will be many more due to the issues with Covid. As long as Amazon doesn't!!! smile

dawntreader1 Thu 22-Oct-20 00:36:03

I still buy M&S underwear,

I still buy M&S lingerie; jeans from the Autograph brand; some clothes from the Per Una range; the occasional tote bag and sometimes boots. However, I have given up on the rest. If you know of anywhere I can buy good quality clothes that are well fitting and reasonably priced please let me know. I have recently lost 3 stone (intentionally) and need to replenish my wardrobe. Currently managing with a VERY LMITED 'capsule wardrobe' and most of it isn't warm
enough for the coming Winter.

Millieangel Mon 14-Sep-20 15:23:51

I still buy Laura Ashley & Principles clothing on line. Marks & Spencer which used to be a favourite of mine have totally lost their way!!

toscalily Sun 13-Sep-20 10:16:28

gulliver12 I had never heard of Tunis cake so just googled it and it came up with a Mary Berry recipe, plus this is the reason for the name: "Elizabeth Ewing's husband (who was a baker at McVities) tried something similar in Tunisia, where he was stationed during WWII".
Perhaps if you are a baker you could try making it yourself, nostalgia with a cup of tea smile

Lexisgranny Sat 12-Sep-20 12:40:12

Batgers Chinese Figs - they only seemed to appear at Christmas time, when I could be found checking the sell by dates so that I could stock up! Also the original Newberry Fruits.

Granless Sat 12-Sep-20 12:28:06

Thanks for all input re Kerrygold butter.
Tesco Stockport - not seen on their shelf for at least a month, Asda too.
No Farmfoods near me. I’ll try Sainsbury’s ?

cathieb Sat 12-Sep-20 11:42:20

It just made me sad to be reminded of all those names from the past. So many good quality brands gone forever, to be replaced with....what?

JackyB Sat 12-Sep-20 11:30:55

Glammagran TCM is still going strong in Germany. It's not cheap though. It is the trade mark of the coffee company Tchibo and they have special themed offers at regular intervals, so a hand mixer may be on offer once a year.

The name that has resounded most with me so far in this thread has been Gordon Thodays. It is hard to get hold of decent material for sewing these days, and on line you can't always tell what quality you'll get.

gulliver12 Sat 12-Sep-20 09:56:44

Tunis Cake at Christmas

TerriBull Sat 12-Sep-20 09:31:20

I've read the thread to remind myself of what I may be missing! Someone up thread mentioned MacFisheries, I don't miss them, but I remember being very young and out shopping with my mum and that would be one of the places she'd shop at, along with Sainsburys when they were small grocery type shops with marble counters. Again, from early days, getting kitted out in new clothes from St Micheal, it didn't happen that often so it was kind of thrilling when it did. Later on as an early teen it was C&A, Chelsea Girl and Richard Shops and when I went to work in London, Biba, just loved the uniqueness of the store and the clothing, nothing else quite like it, also Habitat, young and innovative and great to hang around in. Many of the big London stores of yesteryear, Derry and Toms, Swan and Edgar, Simpsons of Piccadilly disappeared a while back, there was always somewhere to lose yourself at lunchtimes and after work back then.

Moving on to more recent times, I did like East and was sorry to see them go, although I agree 52bright, they were a bit pricey, I generally waited for their sales. I also quite like Shoon, but Fit Flop on line has filled that void for me now.

A perfume I loved was Jolie Madame by Balmain, it seems a lot of discontinued perfumes are available on line, have bought Femme by Rochas for instance not that expensive.. Prices quoted for Jolie Madame are sadly an arm and a leg otherwise I'd have bought it.

Florida12 Sat 12-Sep-20 08:35:21

Habitat stores.
Tide washing powder, so fresh

52bright Fri 11-Sep-20 22:55:17

I really liked some East clothes. They had an area in our local John Lewis and also had a shop in a near by town. A bit pricey for me so usually only bought in their sales. I have a crinkle style dress for there which I've had for years. It still comes out for lunches, evenings out, shopping and any time I can't think of what else to wear. Goes in the washing machine and packs well. Wish I could buy something similar in different colours. They still trade on line but I don't like the fuss of returning by post. I didn't mind ordering on the internet when I could return what I didn't want to JL but really don't like the trouble of returns by post so I haven't ordered anything for ages.

glammagran Fri 11-Sep-20 22:04:40

6 years ago I ordered 2 sets of curtains from Laura Ashley for our sitting room, both floor length. A couple of days afterwards I realised that for the window with a radiator underneath, floor length was not appropriate. They tried to charge a full cancellation fee even though I’d just ordered with a 6 week lead time. I was furious and by doing a google search found (unbelievably!) the personal email for the CEO Of L.A.(Malaysian) and complained to him. The next day it had all been resolved! He was also in the midst of a formidable divorce worth gazillions.

etheltbags1 Fri 11-Sep-20 22:01:36

I don't really miss anything, I just buy what is available or look online if I can't find a shop to suit

kjmpde Fri 11-Sep-20 21:58:05

you never see Hush Puppies nowadays - i used to love them for work as so comfortable.

earnshaw Fri 11-Sep-20 21:54:55

woolworths was the first and then others followed but woolies closing was heartbraking

Dorsetcupcake61 Fri 11-Sep-20 21:04:55

Lovely memories?. It does hit home how many stores we have lost.
I used to love Ann French cleansing milk.
Spartan chocolates.
Old Jamaica chocolate.
Twinkle Magazine.
When did they stop doing Heinz tinned sponges? ?

Nannytopsy Fri 11-Sep-20 20:40:59

Clothkits - I have just bought a jacket kit for DGD. Thanks for the post !

jaxdeal12 Fri 11-Sep-20 20:38:15

Granless, not sure if you have a Farmfoods shop near you but have seen Kerrygold butter in there

Nannyjulesrules Fri 11-Sep-20 20:27:34

And also Dolcis shoe shops!