Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Skin nasties ??? how do I decide??

(14 Posts)
Corryanna Thu 15-Oct-20 20:10:26

In this month’s “Which” magazine, there is a lengthy list of skin care, shampoo, conditioner, liquid soap etc which contain nasty additives. I started looking at what we have in the house and after at least 30 mins squinting at listed ingredients ??, I felt like throwing everything out and starting again with free-from ingredients. Most products contain at least 2 baddies A wee while later I saw sense and decided to use up what we have and buy different items when needed. Now I’m thinking what would I buy instead? Finding a better day moisturiser and with SPF, seems impossible too! Any advice?

fevertree Thu 15-Oct-20 21:44:58

Buy your skin care from a health shop.

fevertree Thu 15-Oct-20 21:48:18

Sorry, I pressed "Post" too soon. The local independent health shop in my nearest town has a shelf of parable-free etc skin care.

Or perhaps look for one of the "natural ingredients only" ranges that I see advertised on local forums.

Namsnanny Thu 15-Oct-20 21:59:21

I make a lot of my own stuff. I enjoy it, but it could be seen as a fuss.
All the basic ingredients can be bought easily on ebay.

phoenix Thu 15-Oct-20 22:15:12

fevertree sorry, but I did smile at "parable" free (guessing it was an autocorrect?)

Yes, nothing worse than being told a meaningful story by your cleansing products!

But in a serious note, I do try to find paraben (?) free stuff, but it can be hard.

PamelaJ1 Fri 16-Oct-20 09:09:59

Namsnanny do you make liquid soap?
I tried but it as too solid then I watered it down and it sort of separated. I’m willing to have another go if you have a foolproof method.

Hetty58 Fri 16-Oct-20 09:20:48

Just plain water cleans my face - and coconut oil is a great moisturiser!

Hetty58 Fri 16-Oct-20 09:21:47

Why do people believe that applying petrochemicals is a good idea?

midgey Fri 16-Oct-20 09:28:49

Fevertree interested in “parable” free skin care! You have to enjoy some of the autocorrect choices!

fevertree Fri 16-Oct-20 22:02:02

Only just back to this thread, how funny - parable free skin care! grin That would be me peering at the tiny phone screen and auto correct triumphing over eyesight!

Yes, I do mean paraben free. This particular health shop stocks it, can't remember the brand name now.

However, there are many 'cottage industry' natural skin care products e.g. at farmer's markets, or Neal's Yard. I find the products from the latter are too rich for my skin.

sparklingsilver28 Fri 16-Oct-20 22:37:54

Corryanna Have been using paraben free organic products for twenty-years. Many of them cheaper than expensive proprietary brands. In addition, use Method laundry, cleaning and washing up products. While in lock-down buy online from Big Green Smile.com. Found a really good kind to skin shower gel A'kin Orange Blossom Body Wash 500ml - believe it is Australian, Also recommend Avalon, Jason and Faith in Nature.

sparklingsilver28 Fri 16-Oct-20 23:06:24

Corryanna Meant so say, I have very sensitive skin and those recommended kind to mine.

dawntreader1 Mon 19-Oct-20 03:41:50

Many 'natural' skin care products also contain nasties so you need to check ingredients very carefully. You can do this on
'incidecoder.com' for many brands.

Jumblygran Mon 19-Oct-20 05:54:40

All natural products often have oils which clog my pores.
Though I do use Sukin body wash with no sodium laurel sulphate and a natural body moisturiser.