Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Woolovers jumper

(25 Posts)
Fennel Thu 12-Nov-20 15:53:46

I'm thinking of buying this Woolovers jumper
www.woolovers.com/womens/jumpers/zig-zag-cable-moss-stitch-turtle-neck-jumper-green-15905
It says it's made from recycled wool, and needs handwash.
I've never heard of recycled wool Does anyone know anything about it?

Fennel Thu 12-Nov-20 15:55:16

ps 50% recycled wool.

midgey Thu 12-Nov-20 16:06:48

There is a review that’s not very complimentary!

quizqueen Thu 12-Nov-20 16:11:25

I wouldn't pay £50 for a jumper!

MawB2 Thu 12-Nov-20 16:17:20

Why ever not Quizqueen ?
Real wool, not acrylic or “plastic”, you get what you pay for!
I would say give it a go, the colour is lovely and quite unusual. Woolovers are very good about returns although you would either have to pay your own postage or buy (upfront one of their return labels for £1.99
I love their quality and am wearing this today which arrived this morning and which I really like.

GrannySomerset Thu 12-Nov-20 16:19:23

Sweater is lovely, Maw and, like you, I like Woolovers knits.

Blossoming Thu 12-Nov-20 16:25:57

It’s usually either wool waste from mills or shredded old wool garments, spun into new yarn. You may find it’s not as soft as pure new wool. It looks very nice, as a PP mentioned there are 2 negative reviews and 8 positive ones. I’ve had stuff from Woolovers before and it seems to be good quality at a decent price. I don’t buy fast fashion myself as I think there’s a reason why it’s so cheap.

Nortsat Thu 12-Nov-20 16:35:55

Fennel, I think it’s lovely and a super colour.
Woolovers goods are nice quality and looking at their website has just prompted me to make a purchase.

I hope you get the sweater and that you love it ...?

anna7 Thu 12-Nov-20 16:40:19

I thinks that's a lovely jumper. May I ask Maw how do you find the sizing and the length? I'm quite tall and often find jumpers a bit short. Thanks

MawB2 Thu 12-Nov-20 17:03:22

I’m only 5’2” anna but this is plenty long enough certainly for me I think.
It covers my bum at the back and has slits so it sits nicely.

Kamiso Thu 12-Nov-20 17:15:52

I have several Woolovers cardigans. Wearing a long black cardigan today that I've had for a couple of years and it washes and wears very well and is warm and comfortable.

I've got a few cotton/cashmere summer cardigans that keep the colour very well.

Fennel Thu 12-Nov-20 18:18:46

I'm so pleased with your replies.
@ Maw I looked at their Fairisle jumpers and was tempted but remain more 'conservative' in my clothing tastes.
I'm going to buy one. I've been buying from Woolovers for years and am still mostly wearing their offerings in the winter.
Hoping not to be banned for advertising.

Auntieflo Thu 12-Nov-20 18:28:34

We have had new Woolovers jumpers donated to our Charity shop in the past.
I didn't like the feel of the pure wool ones, although we did have two cashmere and merino ones, new, still in cellophane wrappers. They were such beautiful colours, and soft, but unfortunately small sizes, or I might have bought one

Chewbacca Thu 12-Nov-20 18:39:07

Ive never had any problems with the Woolovers sweaters that I've bought. They wear and wash very well; certainly better quality than anything I've bought from M & ? recently

Doodledog Thu 12-Nov-20 18:45:19

quizqueen

I wouldn't pay £50 for a jumper!

The amount that someone can or will pay for an item of clothing is obviously determined by their income, and I don't want to be insensitive at all; but it would be difficult to buy decent quality yarn to knit one yourself for much less.

I think that there will be (should be?) a move away from cheap, fast fashion towards buying better quality, ethically sourced products that we keep for a lot longer. A well-made jumper made from good quality yarn will last for ages if washed carefully, whereas a cheap one will lose its shape much quicker and need to be replaced.

If the retail market shrinks long-term because of Covid, and if our ability to trade with other nations becomes more problematic after Brexit, we are going to have to adjust to paying a lot more for clothing, and maybe save up for things that we once would have bought without a second thought. I don't think that this is a bad thing, given the damage to the environment caused by plastics, which make up a high percentage of the acrylic fibres in cheap knitwear.

Nadateturbe Thu 12-Nov-20 18:52:29

I'm glad I read this post. I get the catalogue and wondered about the quality. I'll maybe order sonething.
But £50 might be too much for some people.

Deedaa Thu 12-Nov-20 19:06:46

Well this is a first! For the first time ever I agree with Quizqueen £50 does seem a lot for a jumper. My idea of luxury is the rather nice Vyella knitted jacket that I bought in a charity shop for £15. No doubt the previous owner will have paid £50 or more for it.

Missfoodlove Thu 12-Nov-20 19:30:33

I love a quality wool jumper, I buy a cashmere or wool jumper each winter and rotate them.
They are worth every penny.
I recommend washing them by hand using Euclan. It’s a no rinse anti moth hand wash that leaves wool feeling amazing, no fabric conditioner necessary.
Here’s the link.

www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwi3waCz3v3sAhWJtu0KHdBoAN4YABACGgJkZw&ae=2&ohost=www.google.co.uk&cid=CAASEuRo4K5k8ar2CIznBJ2bpbTD2g&sig=AOD64_396w9HOdCba_oH-_vMuDzLhNQ-RQ&q&adurl&ved=2ahUKEwj-xJqz3v3sAhUit3EKHamICb0Q0Qx6BAgJEAE

nightowl Thu 12-Nov-20 19:43:58

I recently contacted Woolovers to ask about the provenance of their raw materials, and particularly their merino wool which they acknowledge comes from Australia where mulesing is the norm. Their response was that they simply did not have the time or resources to enquire about animal welfare standards on the farms their wool came from, or whether or not the merino sheep were mulesed. I wasn’t very impressed that they had no animal welfare policy, particularly as their products are not cheap. So it’s a no from me.

anna7 Thu 12-Nov-20 20:04:29

Thank you Maw smile

Fernbergien Fri 13-Nov-20 12:35:10

I buy the Woolovers cotton and cashmere ones that are good. Just as good are the Cashmilon ones from M&S.
Yesterday DIL sent one back to Woolovers. She is a size 8 but the jumper drowned her. I always wait for Woolovers sales that are quite frequent.

MawB2 Fri 13-Nov-20 12:47:18

I totally lost a post yesterday in which I had said I bought my Woolovers jumper with a 15% discount - I practically never pay full whack for Woolovers, Joules, White Stuff, Hotters etc
I always Google discount voucher codes and am rarely disappointed
I recommend checking first - retailers are in dire straits this winter and while a bit of me feels guilty about profiting from this, nevertheless I am not a charity and I usually spend enough to assuage any guilt feelings.

Kamiso Fri 13-Nov-20 12:53:23

I tend to wait for their sales now or find a voucher code offer which reduces the cost. I was fortunate to find a grey Woolovers coat in an outlet shop for £12 - a seam needed a minor repair but it’s been very useful.

I still get hot flushes and night/day sweats and find any man made fibres exacerbate the problem exponentially. I assumed they would lessen after a while but just not happening.

Kamiso Fri 13-Nov-20 12:54:19

Crossed post MawB2!

Fennel Fri 13-Nov-20 13:52:15

The prices may sound high, but they last for years if you look after them properly. I only buy about one a year now.
And maybe a cotton/silk one for the summer.