Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Side zips in trousers

(68 Posts)
Dotty123 Tue 24-Nov-20 11:09:11

Why do women’s trousers have front zips? I find they accentuate the very bits you’re trying to hide - not that I’ve got a fat tummy of course! I’ve just had to throw out a fantastic pair of Gap trousers which DID have a side zip and they were one of the most flattering pairs I’ve ever had. Had them for years but they really were past it.

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 25-Nov-20 11:36:44

For slobbing around the house - elasticated waistbands? Don't care where the zip is as long as I can zip it up!

Jaxie Wed 25-Nov-20 11:23:50

I agree with all the above but my pet hate are the slanted pockets on expensive trousers by Jigsaw & Isabel Marant for example. They stick out and ruin the hip line. I have no waist as such but very slim hips & bottom, consequently most trousers are like jodhpurs on me and sag in folds on my meagre backside. Jeggings are the answer but too restricting, and, I note, tight trousers are going out of fashion. Since because of COVID I live in Damart micro fleece drawstring pants, why am I gritching about smart trousers?

PollyDolly Wed 25-Nov-20 11:10:58

I wish I had a £1 for every broken trouser zip that I have replaced - I would be very rich indeed and I would much sooner replace a side zip than a front zip, so much easier!

MargaretinNorthant Wed 25-Nov-20 11:07:54

Lexisgranny

I entirely agree, front zips are not flattering, particularly when worn with a fine knit sweater. I prefer side zips, but the best fitting trousers I have ever had, were a cream pair in very fine wool from Wallis which had a zip at the back. I was much younger, and wouldn’t attempt that now. The other thing that annoys me is a false drawstring with metal bobbles on the end. Fine if you always tuck tops in, I don’t! Neither do I want to look as if I am wearing track suit bottoms if I am out and about.

Yes, me!

Davida1968 Wed 25-Nov-20 10:58:04

I hate side zips! Haven't worn any clothes with them in, since I retired. And oh the joy of wearing leggings when at home.....

Molly10 Wed 25-Nov-20 10:57:01

Dotty 123 - Gap have an up and coming big sale ( check Martin Lewis website for further details), so you maybe able to get a bargain pair of your comfy faithfuls.

Leah50 Wed 25-Nov-20 10:56:31

I used to be a seamstress & side zips were an absolute pain, they broke/became faulty far more often than front fastening ones & were difficult to remove & replace....Hated them!

Paperbackwriter Wed 25-Nov-20 10:46:11

All of this is thread reminds me why I possess no trousers at all!

Riggie Wed 25-Nov-20 10:40:47

Onthenaughtystep1

Anyone prepared to admit to liking elasticated waistbands. ?

Well Im a big girl, so there isnt a whole lot of choice in the shops - black polyester with elasticated waists!
I tend to buy on line - they're still usually elasticated but at least more colourful and natural fabrics.

Magrithea Wed 25-Nov-20 10:35:58

Definitely prefer side zips but they are a pain to do up! Pull on Jeggings are the way to go!

nipsmum Wed 25-Nov-20 10:34:22

Oh yes elasticated waistbands for me every time.

MiniMoon Wed 25-Nov-20 10:32:36

I have a pair of cotton summer trousers with a side zip.

They have pockets.

Shinyredcar Wed 25-Nov-20 10:27:15

But what about the pockets?! Women's clothes never have enough proper pockets and side zips would stop them being possible.

NotSpaghetti Wed 25-Nov-20 10:22:46

Onthenaughtystep1

Yes, lovebeigecardigans1955 already did, just above you.
?

MiniMoon Tue 24-Nov-20 23:08:09

I don't care for zips and buttons of any sort. I have arthritic thumb joints and fastening buttons is often very trying.
Finding fashionable trousers and jeans with elasticated waistbands is nigh on impossible though.

Lilypops Tue 24-Nov-20 22:59:26

I can’t see over my boobs to do up a side zip !!

Alexa Tue 24-Nov-20 22:53:52

I wear only elasticated waistbands as I have no waist any more, and always wear my tops over my waistband.

Jayt Tue 24-Nov-20 22:15:01

I gave up on side zips when I couldn't get at them without a struggle. Front zip easy. Better still, harem pants - no zip!

Lucca Tue 24-Nov-20 15:23:12

Onthenaughtystep1

Currently yes! And as I always but always have a top which comes down well below waist (waist? What waist?) level nobody need know I’m wearing what is known nowadays as “relaxed tailoring”.

Callistemon Tue 24-Nov-20 15:21:48

Dotty123

Ah but think of the exercise!

?

Twist and Shout Ouch

Doodledog Tue 24-Nov-20 15:21:17

I agree that side zips are a lot more flattering, but also that they are difficult to do up unless you have a flat stomach and no flab. Those days are long gone for me, unfortunately.

Callistemon Tue 24-Nov-20 15:20:07

Imagining, not imaging

?

Callistemon Tue 24-Nov-20 15:19:10

biba70

Side zips are a total pain, for sure. Ok with skirts that you can twist around- but trousers, NO.

Yes, I was imaging that and how it would work
grin

DillytheGardener Tue 24-Nov-20 14:30:01

Side zips are hell for muffin tops. I’ve accidentally zipped my flesh because I couldn’t see what I was zipping.... hmm

Dotty123 Tue 24-Nov-20 14:26:58

Petra - why didn’t I think of that. Brilliant! But too late now...