Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Regaine

(95 Posts)
blondenana Thu 27-May-21 12:51:59

I have posted about this before,when i decided to try regains for hair loss
I wonder how long anyone who used it saw results
I have been using this for about 8 months now and no difference,
Do i carry on ?or give it up,as it is quite expensive?
Also is there any difference in the names Regaine and Minoxidil, i assumed it was the same thing
TIA

blondenana Mon 12-Jul-21 22:50:58

MayBee70 i am sure it's not working because i should see little tufts of new hair and there is nothing at all,after all these months surely i should see something by now
I was talking,[on a forum] to someone taking high strength Biotin ,and she is very excited as she can see new growth, i take those too, but again nothing although the hair i have does grow very fast
Did you actually see any new growth at all?

MayBee70 Mon 12-Jul-21 00:21:46

Sorry to hear that blondenana. I’ll keep using mine for the duration for fear of losing what little hair I do have.

blondenana Sun 11-Jul-21 23:58:16

MisAdventure i'm sorry to hear about your health problems they could be a reason,you are losing your hair
Illness can often be a cause
I have got my last bottle of Regaine as i am sure it isn't working,i have no new growth so seems like a waste of time and money,so last try

MissAdventure Tue 06-Jul-21 21:52:54

I'm having a heap of health issues at the moment blondenana, so I'm hoping that if they get dealt with then I'll have luxurious locks again, instead of '2 strands and a nit'.

I'm late 50s, and I think this started about 2 years ago.
It's hard to pinpoint, as it started off gradual.

blondenana Tue 06-Jul-21 18:49:55

MissAdventureMy hair didn't come out in handfuls,in fact i didn't even notice because it was at the back,the front looked fine, ,
My daughter had noticed but didn't mention it because she thought i must know,and didn't like to say anything,
However hers started coming out in handfuls, when she went into menopause, but she isn't convinced that is the cause,she has had thyroid tests,and pid for privater hormone tests

blondenana Tue 06-Jul-21 18:00:15

MissAdventure not sure how old you are, but i diodn't start losng mine until age i think 74, or -5 not that long ago anyway,
I was told it was due to stress,and i can quite believe that, although my life in general has been quite stressful, but it was very deep like grief stress more recently,caused by shock
My mother had thinning hair,but mine isn't in the female loss pattern,and she was only in her 50s
Can you see a dermatologist?
I know i have mentioned before i saw a dermatologist,and he did put a lot of time into looking at my hair with a scalp biopsy,and a few appointments
He gave me Dermovate, and i am sure it got worse, but i know Minoxidil can make you lose some before it grows back,
I have used both the foam and liquid, but i don't think the foam get right to the scalp,as it can cling to surrounding hair,so trying liquid for one more month and no more,as it is expensive to keep buying, but don't care if it works
Can you try a different Dr,i spoke to a couple before i got any action
Luckily the Dermatologist was also attached to my suirgery

MissAdventure Sun 04-Jul-21 19:04:10

I know how that feels.
The hair I have left is greasy at the roots too, even an hour or so after washing.
It's not the most flattering look.

Kate1949 Sun 04-Jul-21 18:47:14

Mine didn't help me either. It was seen as not important. Perhaps if I'd kicked up a fuss and said it was making me depressed... which I was. I just accepted what they said There's nothing that can be done. Buy a wig'.

MissAdventure Sun 04-Jul-21 18:30:55

Well, he's doing a sterling job of not helping me at the moment, so I won't get my hopes up.

Kate1949 Sun 04-Jul-21 18:00:48

It is very hard MissA. Maybe your GP could help you?

MissAdventure Sun 04-Jul-21 17:58:53

It's all quite new to me, but the loss is at the front, sides, and crown, and I'm losing handfuls every day.
It's very hard to stay upbeat when I see how bad it is.

Kate1949 Sun 04-Jul-21 17:46:00

I wish all you ladies well with your hair struggles. I hope you have more success than I did. Hair loss is no joke, ruined my life really. I had blood tests, Regaine, prescribed creams, vitamins of all sorts, caffeine shampoo, in fact practically every shampoo on the market, a visit to a trichologist.
I tried various old wives tales/recommendations. Among those were - cider vinegar, raw onion, cherry juice, scalp massages. All to no avail. I hope you fare better.

MissAdventure Sun 04-Jul-21 16:50:13

It was a few hours after taking the first pill for me, so hopefully you'll be ok.
I'd be interested to know any progress, please?

blondenana Sun 04-Jul-21 15:16:07

Well i have only been taking it for a few days,but haven't noticed feeling sick, but i also take Biotin vit D , omega 3 and zinc, it's a wonder i don't rattle, but i will keep using the Regaine for a while longer

MissAdventure Tue 29-Jun-21 15:12:36

I'm also going bald, and vitamin b has been recommended to me quite a few times.
It makes me feel really sick though.

blondenana Tue 29-Jun-21 14:59:49

I had read that MSM was good for hair growth, and was asking the assistant in Holland and Barret,when i noticed a man keep glancing my way, and could tell he was listening, he suddenly said Vitamin B1 is what you need,and disappeared, so bought some of that too,
Vitamin B1 is Thiamine and helps blood flow to the brain,it is also good for memory
As he had a mask on couldn't tell his age but had blonde hair so gathered quite young,
I do wonder if he was a Dr

Tundraisme Thu 24-Jun-21 19:22:37

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

MayBee70 Thu 24-Jun-21 11:47:47

Tundraisme: I’ve often wondered if eg news presenters wear wigs because the look so immaculate all of the time.

Caleo Thu 24-Jun-21 10:36:14

My hair is thin and poor now. If I lost all my hair I'd wear those small scarf /turban things for people who get radiotherapy for cancer.

Tundraisme Thu 24-Jun-21 04:20:20

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

blondenana Wed 23-Jun-21 11:57:12

My Dermatologist said i had Telogen Effluvium, and as well as a scalp biopsy took a hair from me and said the follicles weren't dead as they had a root
I have read that TE will sort itself out but could still take years hmm

Kate1949 Tue 22-Jun-21 15:15:44

I've heard people on TV making jokes about bald women. It's not funny.

greenlady102 Tue 22-Jun-21 15:12:31

balding women is one of the last taboos. blokes buzz cut their hair short or even shavethei heads and socially its not a problem....not saying that they don't care but they have got socially acceptable remedies

Kate1949 Tue 22-Jun-21 15:09:40

After 37 years in my job, I wouldn't have a retirement party due to my hair loss. It spoils everything.

MayBee70 Tue 22-Jun-21 14:59:27

I went on a U3A walk once and didn’t go for a meal with them as I didn’t want to take my hat off. The crazy thing is my hair wasn’t as bad back then as I thought it was. It is now though…