Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Need a new hair style

(23 Posts)
Nicnak Sun 06-Jun-21 00:05:02

Hi my lovely, I need help with my hair, rhat attached photo is in its natural state after a day not really doing much, any tips, ideas please xx

FannyCornforth Sun 06-Jun-21 04:22:54

I quite like it as it is! It's got a lovely wave and it's in great condition.
If I were you I'd grow it to make the most of it.
What are you thinking of doing with it Nicnak?

FannyCornforth Sun 06-Jun-21 06:30:54

Me again. Do you want to 'encourage' your curls?
I recommend looking into the Curly Girl Method. I don't follow it to the t, but I have picked up a lot of advice and tips, and my hair is better for it.

Pittcity Sun 06-Jun-21 07:15:36

I'd love to have hair like yours. I'd grow it too.

Pittcity Sun 06-Jun-21 07:17:09

Like this.

Nicnak Mon 07-Jun-21 09:13:35

Yes I'd like to encourage my curls, I will look at the curly girl method, I've never heard of it but thank you x

Nicnak Mon 07-Jun-21 09:15:06

Is it not taboo for ladies in their 50 to have long hair smile, I love the picture you have sent, thank x

Blossoming Mon 07-Jun-21 09:21:41

It’s a taboo that needs breaking then ? your hair is a lovely colour.

baubles Mon 07-Jun-21 09:25:50

Nicnak

Is it not taboo for ladies in their 50 to have long hair smile, I love the picture you have sent, thank x

I’m 67. My hair is beyond my shoulders, it’s thick and would be very bushy if cut shorter.

There are no rules, your curls are lovely.

annodomini Mon 07-Jun-21 09:30:50

For years I had my hair cut in layers and my natural curls were suppressed. Came the lockdown and my hair asserted itself and the layers grew out. I was very reluctant to go back to the same hairdresser so found one that did what I wanted rather than what she thought was what I wanted! Last week, it had grown past my collar at the back, though the front and top had not grown so much. My new hairdresser has left its natural curls and waves, but sorted out the length. It looks so much more 'me' than it did before Covid. hmm Not good at inserting photos, but I will try...sometime. So my advice, OP, is to find a new stylist and be assertive about your preference.

DillytheGardener Mon 07-Jun-21 09:31:24

You have lovely hair and in such good condition. I’d recommend the curly girl method and using sulphate free shampoos. The picture of Charlise Theron’s ‘lob’ hair cut would really suit you.

I’m late fifties and mine is long enough to tie in a pony tail.

Gabrielle56 Sun 18-Jul-21 12:26:01

Personally I think growing hair as we advance in years can be slow and terribly ageing! Unless one is model -like in physique, have lush long hair and chiselled features then I'd say nope! My face has morphed from oveal and high cheek bones in my youth to round with a plethora of unused chins!! Consequently my hair thick lush and wavy has been dropped into a pixie ,shocking at first by SO liberating! I can change the colour on a whim! It always looks sharp as a dart and I pity all the gals my age and older who are battling with root regrowth and scraggly styles or worse- the ubiquitous crash helmet poker straight Bob (!?) That does NOT. Suit everyone! I look different stylish and youthful in an appropriate manner with my short sharp hair, I feel great and I think you should try on some either wigs or virtual style apps to test drive a dramatic new look before you chop! Good luck xx

Gabrielle56 Sun 18-Jul-21 12:31:06

Nicnak

I'd say only if you never have had it long before? Long hair can drag features down and condition/colour has to be 100% all the time to avoid the " it just grew" look! I always wonder why long haired gals seem to always have it dragged back in a pony all the time? What's the point? A well cut mid to short style can revitalise features and push us into reassessing ourmakeup and wardrobe too!

Infinity2 Sun 18-Jul-21 12:38:12

I think you look lovely. You have beautiful hair.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 18-Jul-21 13:22:58

At 70 I’m still one of the long haired brigade, below my shoulders, and intend to stay that way. I keep it in good condition and have it trimmed every 2-3 months (my husband made a good job of it in lockdown!). Short doesn’t suit me and takes a lot more fiddling with in my experience unless it’s Judi Dench short. I just blow dry my hair, no yucky styling products, which takes ten minutes tops. I tie it back for gardening or if I’m out and it’s very windy. I’d definitely say grow it a little longer but keep it nicely shaped (layered to remove some thickness at the sides) like the picture of Charlize Theron.

Greeneyedgirl Sun 18-Jul-21 13:42:17

Lockdown was the catalyst for me. I had a short bob style which needed cutting every 8 wks at £60! It grew during lockdown so I pulled some back into a slide and the rest is below shoulder length now. It’s easy to look after, don’t colour it, had positive comments, and think it is ageist to consider that older women shouldn’t have long hair. Condition is the thing I think, and do what you like.
Your hair is lovely NicNak, and longer would look great, wish
Mine was curly.

Kate1949 Sun 18-Jul-21 13:51:02

I have a friend who is 70. She has long, thick, glossy, grey hair and she looks fabulous. She gets the odd comment from people implying that she's too old for long hair. I can't see her ever cutting her beautiful hair because other people don't approve.

Nonogran Sun 18-Jul-21 13:58:20

I’m of the opinion that long dyed hair as we get older is very ageing. Drags features down. If it’s dyed black or too dark, it can be “witch like” and drains colour from vintage skin.
I think the OP has lovely hair but is it dyed?
In her shoes I experiment with a shorter style to accentuate the curls.
I’m not precious about my hair, going pleasantly silver now & in great condition. I’ve never ever dyed it. “Virgin” hair as my hairdresser called it!
A jaw length layered bob with a light weight fringe , beautifully cut, is my current style.
When I get fed up with that, I go shorter. My philosophy is that it’ll soon grow out if I don’t like it!

3dognight Sun 18-Jul-21 14:03:03

You have beautiful hair, and it suits your face.

Callistemon Sun 18-Jul-21 14:19:58

My hair was about that length, nicnak and I wanted a shortish stacked bob but the haidresser cut it in layers and far too short.

Today, in this heat, it looks like a dandelion clock (I kid you not).
Yours looks in good condition - don't let any scissor happy haidresser too near it.

tinaf1 Sun 18-Jul-21 14:22:25

I really like it as it is great color and nice wave to it , and good length

Callistemon Sun 18-Jul-21 14:22:39

I think the OP has lovely hair but is it dyed?

Well, it's the same colour as mine and I don't dye mine.
I'm anxious now, should I dye it grey?

A jaw length layered bob with a light weight fringe , beautifully cut, is my current style.
Just what I asked for but didn't get Nonogran

Hetty58 Sun 18-Jul-21 14:39:41

Oh, to have natural waves or curls (or shine) instead of poker straight locks! How lucky you are. I'd grow it.

I think long hair suits most face shapes, (maybe not long/thin) regardless of age. I don't agree that short or mid length makes people look younger. Often, less than pretty neck and ears are revealed.

It's easy to tie it back or up, plait it - or put it in a twisted 'hat platform' style - or leave it long, maybe tucked behind the ears!