Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Walking sandals

(14 Posts)
Grannyjacq1 Sun 06-Jun-21 14:36:27

Can anyone recommend walking sandals for my awkward feet? I have an enlarged big toe joint on one foot - not a bunion, as the bump goes upwards and not outwards. I think its technical name is hallux rigidus. I have been managing well during the winter months with Skecher trainers and good walking boots - obviously with socks, but I'd love to wear a pair of walking sandals which don't cause blisters on the swollen joint. My Birkenstocks aren't really sturdy enough for walking, and I know it's better to have something with a back to it. And I'd like something quite stylish too. These days so many shoe shops in our nearest town have closed (including our Hotter branch) and I'm reluctant to buy online and keep sending back if unsuitable. Some advice, please?

dragonfly46 Sun 06-Jun-21 14:40:58

I have some Skecher sandals.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 06-Jun-21 14:43:39

Have a look at Gabor wide fit range, I wear their sandals to walk in and very comfortable they are too. Mind you we don’t do the miles we used to do. Only say 5 miles now, back, hips knees allowing???

Manhattan Sun 06-Jun-21 14:54:19

I do a lot of all-terrain walking and am a big fan of Merrell Kahuna sandals. They are very hardwearing and support the foot well (but no backs). That said it's hard to know where the front strap will sit with regard to the hallux. Do you have an outdoor gear shop locally where you could try them? Here's a link to the Merrell range:

tinyurl.com/yttj7k74

Mine are Four Strap but the Webs might offer you more flexibility.

Madgran77 Sun 06-Jun-21 15:07:10

Skevhdr sandals are excellent. Also if you visit an outdoirshopije trespass and cotswold they have good selections if walking sandals in different makes

Blossoming Sun 06-Jun-21 18:11:20

Either Merrell or Keen walking sandals for me. They have plenty of room for your toes.

jmor Mon 07-Jun-21 12:19:35

Wider Fit Shoes, Shoe Tailor or Cosyfeet all have good shoes and sandals.

mumofmadboys Mon 07-Jun-21 12:42:11

Keen sandals are brilliant. Mine are now falling apart but I have worn them a lot for 11 years!

Nannee49 Mon 07-Jun-21 14:10:53

Love my walking sandals as does my Sis who badly suffers with rheumatoid arthritis. My trusty everyday ones are karrimor but I also have some Tevas which are not as sturdy and serviceable but a bit more stylish. I'm sure you'll love them as much as we do as soon as you get a pair grannyjacq1.

midgey Mon 07-Jun-21 14:53:21

Hotter have a couple of pairs of walking sandals.

annodomini Mon 07-Jun-21 15:11:08

I have found that Cotton Traders' footwear is good value and they have a variety of sandals, including a style called 'Striders'. Although they are mostly a mail-order trader, they also have some stores in outlet centres- I've noticed one in the Lowry Mall in Salford.

WishIwasyounger Mon 07-Jun-21 15:22:22

I wear Tevas.

Grannyjacq1 Wed 23-Jun-21 21:04:14

Thanks for all your suggestions. I've bought a pair of Teva's from Miletts and so far so good ....wide and not too frumpy.

Shelflife Wed 23-Jun-21 21:21:26

Glad you have found a suitable pair if walking sandals. I have bunions , I recognize your feet problem is different from mine. For me Regatta ladies Wetshore sandals are a good fit. I have bought 3 pairs !!