Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Morning dress

(9 Posts)
Nannarose Tue 08-Jun-21 12:29:42

odd to be posting this after the "formal dress" discussion . Wedding invitation just received, a nephew we aren't close to because of geography, but fond of. Our side of the family will not be well represented as we are few, and some of those live abroad. Also, within current restrictions, it is an honour to be invited.
BUT we will be travelling a long way. Until the invitation arrived, I assumed DH's one good suit and my silk dress with a beautiful individually painted shirt, as worn to all of our own children's weddings would be fine.
It is a long way - almost as far as you can go in the UK. We were happy to do that, and pay for a good hotel. This expense seems like a step too far! And out of step with our own family's values, although I know the family will be disappointed not to see us. I assume that the bride's family are more formal.
Would you:
Hire the formal dress and go?
Go dressed as we wish - maybe tell them in advance?
Turn the invitation down, in which case we would visit some time in the next year.

geekesse Tue 08-Jun-21 12:32:49

It is usual for just the bridal party to wear morning dress, and for everyone else to wear their best bib and tucker. As it’s a small do, I’d be inclined to ring them and check.

Casdon Tue 08-Jun-21 12:40:42

Another option would be to compromise on the hotel and hire a suit for your husband, the cost would be about the same. Your dress will be fine. I can understand why the couple may have gone for formal dress, after the challenges of the past year and the difficulties people have had arranging weddings, they probably want it to a really special day and this is one way of making it so, given they can only have a limited number of guests.

timetogo2016 Tue 08-Jun-21 12:41:26

Dress as you wish for your own comfort.
I can`t stand dressing up at all and people take notice of the bride really.
On the other hand,is it too early re-covid to go.

Nannarose Tue 08-Jun-21 15:38:33

Thanks, we are quite OK about Covid rules & precautions, which may yet change.
Thanks for opinions, though I am not compromising on the hotel, for convenience or comfort! I do appreciate your PoV Casdon - we can afford it out of our savings, but it seems like a waste to us (families eh!)

NotSpaghetti Tue 08-Jun-21 17:14:09

If you really don't want to hire one then I suppose you could call to "check" if they do actually want everyone in morning dress. If they do, I'd pay up.

Personally I'd do it anyway if it's on the invite.
A two piece, fairly standard Moss Bros type would be about £50. Obviously you can go "upmarket" from that!

grannyactivist Tue 08-Jun-21 17:22:42

I would check what they actually mean by ‘morning dress’ and if it’s really meant to be full formal attire I’d be inclined to say ‘in for a penny, in for a pound’ and go the whole hog and revel in the occasion.

You know they really want you there when the number of invitees is so restricted, so honour their wishes and go. smile

Lucca Tue 08-Jun-21 17:30:48

timetogo2016

Dress as you wish for your own comfort.
I can`t stand dressing up at all and people take notice of the bride really.
On the other hand,is it too early re-covid to go.

People take no notice of the bride ??

Callistemon Tue 08-Jun-21 17:35:55

I thought I'd posted on here?