Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Shampoo bars

(20 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Tue 06-Jul-21 21:05:22

What a wonderful idea, absolutely love these, lather brilliantly, How long have these been out on the market? My favs are the body shop ones and lush ones, no more plastic containers either, win, win!

JillEH Tue 06-Jul-21 21:17:46

I like the ones from Lush. Expensive but lovely, and smell good. Conditioning can be an issue. Aren't toiletries fun?

Mollygo Tue 06-Jul-21 21:19:12

I have tried them, but found problems with using them in a hard water area. I have some called Zero Waste Path 2 in 1, which are OK, but truthfully I prefer liquid.

muffinthemoo Tue 06-Jul-21 21:22:25

Lush ones have been on the go for over twenty years now. Love them, love them. Absolutely amazing for travelling especially. They also rinse out super easily so are great for kids. Gentle on the scalp, too.

SueDonim Tue 06-Jul-21 21:26:05

I’ve been using them for some years now. I’ve bought Lush ones until last week, when my local refill shop started stocking ones that are sustainably made. The one I chose smells gorgeous!

MerylStreep Tue 06-Jul-21 22:22:43

I’ve been using then since before dump the plastic was a ‘thing’

MiniMoon Tue 06-Jul-21 23:16:23

I've been buying shampoo bars for ages. I buy mine from the Funky Soap Co.

Shandy57 Tue 06-Jul-21 23:26:46

I've just bought shampoo and conditioner bars from Grumm, they had an offer. Fantastic and no plastic.

CocoPops Wed 07-Jul-21 02:45:39

I use the shampoo bar and conditioning bar from Lush and find they are good value because they last a long time.

MawBe Wed 07-Jul-21 10:03:45

JillEH

I like the ones from Lush. Expensive but lovely, and smell good. Conditioning can be an issue. Aren't toiletries fun?

hmm
I don’t think I have found toiletries “fun” since I used to buy Aqua Manda when I was about 14 hmm

Callistemon Wed 07-Jul-21 10:43:47

Goodness me, MawBe, you were very sophisticated wink

I was given a bottle of Californian Poppies at age 14 which I thought was the height of sophistication but Aqua Manda tops that!

Amazingly, you can still buy both (not that I do).

Callistemon Wed 07-Jul-21 10:44:50

Sorry, Trendynannie, off piste.

I've just been given a shampoo bar but haven't tried it yet.

JillEH Wed 07-Jul-21 12:07:38

Mawbee I am glad that I still find small things fun. I loved Aquamanda too, and Kiku (lovely puff in the body powder). Scent+ continues to be a delight.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 07-Aug-21 22:10:44

No worries Callistemon hope you like it

NotSpaghetti Sat 07-Aug-21 23:11:28

We had the "cosmetics to go" INASIA shampoo bars which must have been in the 1980s. We tried a few and some of the family had hair that was ok with them, some of us didn't.
Later there was a swim-bar and that worked. I think that was also Cosmetics to Go rather than Lush as it was wrapped in aluminium foil originally.

Here's what they looked like.

I'm still not really a fan of them as I can't find one that suits me. I have tried quite a lot of them over 30 plus years. I think they're a great idea. Just wish I could make it work.

ginny Sun 08-Aug-21 08:17:15

I order shampoo bars and soap from an independent small business called Sarah’s Soapery.
All natural products and no plastic.

honeyrose Sun 08-Aug-21 08:37:03

I use a shampoo bar called Eco Warrior, available from Sainsbury’s amongst other shops. It’s good - like using a normal bar of soap. Rinses out easily. I do find I have to put the wet bar of my soap on my head and rub in to get a lather rather than rubbing it into my hands like you were washing your hands (if that makes sense!) and lots of hair gets stuck to the bar, but no problem. I haven’t found toiletries fun since I was a child and got Pretty Peach from Avon as s gift. Wonderful! Not sure if you can still get Pretty Peach now. That soap in a rope ..... fabulous! ??

JackyB Sun 08-Aug-21 10:48:20

I started using these as an attempt to do away with plastic in the bathroom. My hairdresser didn't notice any different. I told her I was using them now and I had thought they would be milder but got some in my eye and it stung quite badly. She said she was not surprised and would expect them to be more aggressive. Anyway, my hair isn't fussy and I get along fine with them. I have never used conditioner.

One tip: lather on your hands and then rub it in. If you rub the soap directly into your hair you might get annoying hairs sticking to the soap.

Rainwashed Sun 08-Aug-21 10:59:51

This is reminding me of brands I had forgotten, Aqua Manda and Pretty Peach, haven’t seen or heard of them for years.
I haven’t tried shampoo bars, but think I might try them when I next need to buy shampoo

Granmarderby10 Thu 12-Aug-21 08:09:34

honeyrose oh I loved Pretty ? I think it was a Christmas gift one year I had bath stuff and a lovely little jar of perfumed Han d cream with a peach on the lid. Lasted ages and as kids we would “apply” it when we had been “scrubbed up” to go somewhere nice ? happy memory…