Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Do you dress like your mum did at your age?

(143 Posts)
Yammy Wed 26-Jan-22 10:47:15

Yesterday's discussion about the colour purple set me thinking.
I compared myself to the way my mother dressed at my age.
Mum never owned a pair of Denims, never wore trousers until in a care home. Elasticated waist skirts which I probably would find more comfortable.
Minimum makeup lipstick and powder and Nivea cream. Sunday best clothes and wouldn't have entertained a pair of trainers or a fleece. Shoes always had a strap over them.
A visit to the hairdressers every Friday morning for a shampoo and set. No trends in specs and teeth had often completely gone in their 50's. Handbags were just that no shoulder bags.
I think I might have slipped into the comfort zone in the last two years but that includes denims and cords, tunics and trainers.
I watch fashion and makeup trends and with DD's aid try to move with the times. Chubby sticks for eyes and lips have appeared along with an eyebrow enhancer and a subtle blusher, not good old Max factor cream puff.
How about you?

MissAdventure Wed 26-Jan-22 14:06:09

I can always picture my mum working in her garden, with the cat lying next to her, watching.
She wore pretty skirts, and casual type blouses.
Bare, lovely brown legs. smile

Grandma70s Wed 26-Jan-22 14:13:16

My mother was born in 1907. She was a trendy student in the 1920s, I think probably a more adventurous dresser than I was. Some of her clothes and shoes were in my childhood dressing-up box - I remember a beautiful rust-coloured patterned chiffon, and matching rust coloured satin shoes with very pointed toes.

By the time she was the age I am now (early 80s) she still retained a student’s attitude to life. She wore trousers and tops, much as I do, most of the time but still had dresses for formal occasions. I just wear more formal trousers! She always wore flat shoes because she said heels hurt - she was never a slave to fashion, and I’m the same. We are very different in appearance, though both tall. She was broad (not fat) and fair, I am thin and dark. She had straight fair hair which she wore long in a bun or knot until she discovered a short curly perm was much easier and actually suited her better. I have dark hair (still) which I wear ear-length with a fringe. Nobody in our family goes grey young.

I think our attitude was always to looks as smart as we could without ever sacrificing comfort.

Grandma70s Wed 26-Jan-22 14:18:28

I must add, after re-reading the posts here, that my mother kept her own teeth until she died at 89. A back one or two missing, but never a false tooth, and I’m the same so far. She wore glasses most of the time, and taught me that it was silly to mind doing so. Just find nice flattering ones.

luluaugust Wed 26-Jan-22 14:36:40

My mum was always smart, she usually wore skirts and blouses but not trousers until she joined an exercise class in her sheltered accommodation when she was around eighty. Up until her sixties she made a lot of her clothes and even took the hems up a little during the mini era. Later in life she had a great time going through catalogues and picking outfits which didn't get a lot of wear. I wear trousers and all kinds of tops most days, I have two skirts but don't like them on me. I will wear a dress during the Summer but not the sort you can wash but don't have to iron. Wearing make up has slipped a little during lockdown.

GagaJo Wed 26-Jan-22 14:42:12

My mum was very glamorous at the age I am now. Quite unlike me. The best I could say about my appearance on a very good day, is that I'm slightly less scruffy than usual.

Sarnia Wed 26-Jan-22 14:48:15

I must confess to having bought 2 vests this winter. I haven't worn vests since childhood but my Mum wore them all her life. I can almost hear her sigh of approval and her telling me to tuck them well in to keep my kidneys warm.

Grannybags Wed 26-Jan-22 14:49:25

Yes I do. My Mum was born in 1914 and lived in trousers once she married and left home.

Her Mother told her she would be cut off without a shilling if she wore trousers! (Not that she had any shillings to give her anyway!)

Serendipity22 Wed 26-Jan-22 15:38:44

Nope, i dont dress like my mum, never have, my mum also never dressed like her mum ( my gran ) who was a farmers wife, so wellies were worn on a daily occurrence.

I remember my mum having an endless amount of shoes, always saying "I could do with a new pair of shoes." ....and me thinking How many do you need ?? hahahaha.

I remember going clothes shopping for a trip to San Francisco when i was 16 ( the underlying reason my mum and dad paid for me jetting to San Francisco was in the hope i would forget allllll about the b/f i had at the time, who I later married but that belongs on the other thread*) and my mum told the shop assistant that she couldnt hear herself think with the *ridiculously loud piped music ringing around the shop and she pulled unnecessarily hard on each item of clothing i said i liked hahahaha she said everything was shoddy.

So no , we most certainly didnt dress alike and neither did my mum and her mum.

smilesmilesmile

Serendipity22 Wed 26-Jan-22 15:43:55

Sarnia

The bit about vets made me chuckle because when i was about 50 my mum said to me Do you still wear a vest?"
I said "Mum !! I havent worn a vest since i was about 10." hahahahahaha.

This thread is brilliant, some fabulous memories.

Kate1949 Wed 26-Jan-22 16:02:54

Definity not. My mum was very fat. She wore those wrap over pinnies and a turban in the house. She never went anywhere apart from the shops. She never wore make up, heels or jewelry. I am the opposite.
She was downtrodden. I remember going to a friend's on a Saturday night. Her mum and dad used to go out dancing. Her mum would come downstairs I a lovely 1950s style dress with long gloves. I was fascinated. How different from my home life!

Sloegin Wed 26-Jan-22 16:37:19

My mother sadly died in 1975 at just 60 years old. She didn't buy many clothes but,when she did ,always good quality. As a country woman ( a farmer's wife) she tended to wear country clothes. I remembered she favoured Dak skirts Jacqumar wool blouses, Donegal tweed coats, a grey Jaeger suit and KSkip shoes. I think I only remember her buying two Donegal coats over the years so everything was bought to last. She was very slim but still wore corsets. Never wore trousers . She also never took to wearing tights. I'm in my 70s, wear trousers most of the time and favour the styles of clothes from Toast, Seasalt or Oska.

nanaK54 Wed 26-Jan-22 16:44:00

Dear goodness absolutely not, I am not a fan of crimplene grin

Kim19 Wed 26-Jan-22 16:53:32

Yes I think I dress similarly to my lovely Mum but she was taller than me and carried off her outfits more impressively.

BladeAnnie Wed 26-Jan-22 17:01:15

My goodness I would hope not!! My mother is the twin set and pearls, shampoo and set type and she is always telling me to smarten myself up, act my age etc etc!! I'm jeans, leggings and long tops girl so I take no notice ??

M0nica Wed 26-Jan-22 18:05:05

My mother was always an elegant dresser. All sorts of people who met her would comment on it (the unspoken message being. How did she end up with a scruff like you?)

To the end of her life she was wearing lacy underwer and nightdresses.

Do I dress like my mother? No. I have been told I am stylish, but that is not the same as elegant. I like rich colours, never wear black and my style drifts towards the Bohemian.

GillT57 Wed 26-Jan-22 18:40:35

My late DM was always very well dressed but not twin sets and tweed. She either bought good quality clothes in sales (Jaeger, Windsmoor etc) or made her own very well. Latter years she wore Per Una linen trousers with coordinating layers, always looked smart. Light make up every day, perfume, earrings and she had an excellent hairdresser who cut her hair beautifully, rather like Judy Dench. Regrettably despite my best efforts I just cannot capture her casual comfortable elegance.

Framilode Wed 26-Jan-22 18:48:41

My mum was so elegant. Most of her clothes came from Jaeger and when I told the staff she had died they cried. She had wonderful clothes and my sister in law and I split them between us after her death. I remember seeing her in the funeral parlour and looking at her nails which had been freshly manicured and painted. Her clothes were beautiful.
I am afraid I am not at all elegant and live in jeans.

baubles Wed 26-Jan-22 18:54:58

My mother loved clothes as did my father. Mum adored looking at photos of stylish women, she dressed as well as she could afford, preferring quality over quantity and she really took care of her clothes, bags and shoes.

They always looked good, my Dad especially could be a little vain. grin

I think my style is a bit more casual than my mother’s. I’ve been wearing jeans for over fifty years and don’t see me giving them up ever.

Redhead56 Wed 26-Jan-22 19:16:22

My mum was a very petite lady with a lovely figure. None of her six daughters including me had such a very slim waist. She liked dresses blouses skirts and twinsets. She never wore trousers until she was in a home having dementia. She was quite vain when she was younger her outfits always coordinated well she never wore makeup. She wore glasses only for reading and would not wear them outside. She liked Ponds cold cream and Oil of Ulay (original) named cream.
I don't dress like my mum but I do like pretty floral dresses in the summer. I don't wear a lot of makeup apart from eyebrow pencil and lipstick. I have been wearing varifocal glasses since my forties I can't wear lenses.

Visgir1 Wed 26-Jan-22 19:44:58

Mine very fashionable. My Dad and Mum both looked fabulous.
Dad especially loved his leather "bomber jacket"
Both never had a problem with bright colours, my Mum loved a bit of leopard print /big prints and a bit of "bling", she was always face cream made sure she had her lipstick on, with a squirt of perfume.
She passed away about 18 months ago nearly 90, up until the end looking fab.
My sister and I have followed in their footsteps.

Hetty58 Wed 26-Jan-22 19:55:43

Dress like my mum? Good God no! She always looked so immaculate with corset, perm, shampoo and set etc. She never left the house without makeup and was always getting changed. She was very beautiful, very vain - and a terrible mother.

There'd be a skirt and top in the morning, an 'afternoon dress' - then another change for dinner and the evening.

She had clothes made for her (women would come to measure her) made some herself - and bought yet more (always good quality). She had special bags and shoes to match various outfits, so very concerned about coordination - and presentation.

Oh, and she thoroughly checked her appearance and hair in a mirror (preferably full length and three way) every ten minutes, it seemed.

Life's too short for all that! What a waste of time! I'm the opposite.

EllanVannin Wed 26-Jan-22 20:30:34

Every time I see " Mrs Brown " she of the Brown's boys, her dresses and cardigans are like my mum's were. Whatever colour was in her dress she'd pick it out and buy a matching cardigan.
Mum never wore trousers, always dresses. I'd be frozen without thick tights and trousers.

A full pinny when doing the housework or cooking and only wore slippers when ready for bed.

What I never understood were the hats. Always a hat on and sometimes it stayed there while she prepared tea after she'd been out.

A dab of Ponds and a pale lipstick was all she used.
I've never been one for the full make-up either.

No, I don't dress how mum used to do. D's had some of my tops so that'll give you an idea. I suppose I'm a slob in comparison to how mum was.
When she was alive she sometimes asked " what on earth have you got on ?"

It'd be an oversize silk " artists shirt " in shocking pink and a pair of flowered trousers, with my hair in a pony tail tied with a bright chiffon scarf grin She was very neighbour conscious but I certainly wasn't. Next doors were very Dior.
I'd do the same today !

Casdon Wed 26-Jan-22 20:35:15

I’m lucky enough still to have my mum, she’s 93 now. 30 years ago she dressed pretty much as she does now, she’s a big fan of ‘easy care’ fabrics, so she wears a blouse, jacket or cardigan, with trousers every day, all made of man made fabrics, with Hotter shoes which she’s worn for many years (not the same pair!). She always looks smart, but not in clothes that would ever wear.
I’m a jeans girl since I had my first pair at 13, I wear T-shirts and sweatshirts etc., all cotton usually, with boots- she would never wear anything I would choose. We do both hate skirts though!

Deedaa Wed 26-Jan-22 20:45:38

My mother was very into fashion. Very embarrassing when I was at school because her style was quite different from other people's mothers.She always coloured her hair and wore full make up almost till the day she died. Always in dresses or skirts and a hat when she went out (think Hyacinth Bucket)

I mainly live in Jeans and loose tops and my hair is cut by the man who used to cut DH's. hair. I only really bother with make up if I'm going out somewhere, which obviously isn't often at the moment.

ayse Wed 26-Jan-22 20:52:32

No, not at all. My Mum didn’t dress like her Mum either. ?