Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Help please my hair is Green!

(23 Posts)
LibbyR Mon 28-Mar-22 14:14:37

Bit of a long one but here goes, I wondered if anyone may have a hairdressing background and can advise me please. I retired last year and had always felt the need to dress conservatively in my working life. Not long after my retirement I was having my hair done and mentioned that I’d really like a colour change. My hairdresser said, great I love a colour change, it’s one of my favourite things to do so we agreed at my next appointment I would go purple. All went well and I absolutely loved it. 5 weeks later I had it redone and again it was lovely. I mentioned that I’d like to go slightly lighter next time and the following appointment she used a different brand/colour- this didn’t take on my roots at all and I ended up with a very orange root line. We decided to go back to the darker purple and all seemed well. She said she would have a chat with her wholesaler about a lighter purple and we would do it at my next appointment. However during the 5 weeks my purple colour faded to a very strange rusty orange! Then on Friday last week we had a total disaster, she used something to strip the colour from my hair which she said was necessary (smelt very strong like perm lotion). Although she showed me the package which said it didn’t contain bleach and was none damaging). She then applied the new lighter purple and after rinsing it off began to dry my hair, at that point it became obvious that my hair was a very very patchy blue (think Smurf). She then said she didn’t think she’d be able to do a purple and I said that’s ok just do something to make me look normal so she did a bleach bathe and then another colour, dark blonde I think. When that was rinsed off I was bright green so she then put a very dark mahogany on which she said would cover everything. It didn’t - although she said there was only a small amount of green left which she could razor out. Once she’d finished she said although there was a small amount of green it wasn’t much and there was nothing else she could do. When I looked my hair was still very green in patches and several other different colours - in other words a total mess. Also I can no longer just scrape it into a clip as I have so many short bits from being razored. I thought at the time it’s only hair and I’ll have to live with it but over the weekend so many people have asked WTF have you done to your hair that I’m now feeling very self conscious. I’ve sent my hairdresser a message which she’s read but not answered and I’m now starting to feel quite upset about the state of my hair. I’ve even sat with half a bottle of tomato sauce in my hair to try and neutralise the green but it really hasn’t worked. Any thoughts please? I’ve been using the same hairdresser for about a year (she’s mobile) and she has been a hairdresser for over 30 years. As the dark mahogany hasn’t covered it I can’t imagine what will. Any advice would be very welcome, thank you.

Zoejory Mon 28-Mar-22 14:18:26

Oh dear. You could possibly try a well established hairdresser in the area.

Or live in hats or wigs for a while.

SuzieHi Mon 28-Mar-22 14:22:30

Poor you. Maybe go into a few different hairdresser salons and ask what they would do to correct. Don’t think you should let anyone touch it until you’re sure of the right course of action. Meanwhile you could start an internet search for a wig and let your natural hair recover.

Redhead56 Mon 28-Mar-22 14:30:15

Strip it with hair dye remover from B&M or other shops but it's cheaper B&M it's because your hair must have been porous. It may not remove all the colour but it will lessen the colour. Do a test first though to be sure of no reaction.

Redhead56 Mon 28-Mar-22 14:32:25

I meant to add the stripper a hairdresser will use will be stronger than one purchased.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 28-Mar-22 16:21:54

Go into a reputable salon and get some advice, you have had so much product on your hair to try to correct the mistake, I think your hairdresser is out of her depth.
I wanted my dark hair lightened and my mobile hairdresser said that she wouldn’t do it, I should go to a salon and get the colour stripped out, if anything goes wrong it could be corrected straight away and she doesn’t carry all the products she might need.
I hope you had all the corrections done free of charge?

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 28-Mar-22 16:25:06

I’ve just googled this and it says that if lightener is put onto purple hair it goes green, your hairdresser would have known this?
You could Google it , lots of advice on there.

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Mar-22 16:27:16

I'm surprised it hasn't dropped out with all those chemicals on your hau0ir!

Mine went green once when I was a teenager, experimenting at home with blonde and then I dyed it mahogany, or tried to.

I think you need another hairdresser, some advice, some nourishing treatments and perhaps to embrace your own natural colour!!

ElaineI Mon 28-Mar-22 16:31:43

Maybe try a salon as others have said or get it cut short or have a badge saying "yes I have rainbow hair" or you could raise money for charity? DD2 has done that twice - grown it then had it chopped off.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 28-Mar-22 16:48:45

I did exactly the same as you Callistemon. My Mum wasn’t amused!
Oh dear Libby, I’m so sorry for you. I wouldn’t go near this hairdresser again nor would I try to do anything with it myself. It’s had so many chemicals applied to it already and you could easily end up with some hair falling out, scalp damage or at least a lot of breakage. I know it will cost but you need to go to a good hairdresser with qualified colourists. They will know what to do. Please, please don’t try rectifying this at home or let this mobile hairdresser near your hair again. I’m not a hairdresser but I’ve made my mistakes in the past!

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Mar-22 17:40:24

I think I used a beaten egg to nourish my hair afterwards.
Of course, I should have rinsed it off with very cool water!

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 28-Mar-22 17:44:53

Ooh hairy scrambled egg yuk yuk…….

LibbyR Mon 28-Mar-22 18:21:19

Thanks all, I think she was as shocked as I was and was trying to salvage the situation. My head was very tender after 6 hours of having various products on it but it’s not sore now. I think I’m more upset with the razoring than the colour as my hair grows tediously slowly so it’s going to take ages to grow down. I spend a lot of time outdoors so I tie my hair up almost everyday and now it’s nearly impossible without dozens of clips to keep all the short bits under control. Most hairdressers are closed here on Mondays but I’ll ring around a few although I think I’m going to struggle to find someone who will be willing to try to correct someone else’s mistakes as they won’t know exactly what products have been used. Hats and wigs it is.

Callistemon21 Mon 28-Mar-22 18:26:39

Oh no Libby it sounds horrendous!

I wouldn't tie it up or use grips or clips either as it's probably very fragile now.

A fetching scarf or soft headband, perhaps?

Esmay Thu 26-May-22 13:53:46

Hi Libby ,
Poor you !
How horrendous !
One of my friends (a hairdresser ) ruined my very long dark hair with a dye which turned it the colour of carrots .
Now such a colour can be fashionable and products have improved .
She tried to neutralise it .
Nothing worked .
In the end I had it cropped off to half an inch and stopped going out !

I see that you've tried tomato juice -the only thing that I found restored my daughter's hair from green to blond .
It took some doing though .
I trimmed off the dry ends and we gave it a gentle daily wash with a sulphate free shampoo after a tomato soak .Then a super conditioning .
We avoided blow drying and straighteners .
The green faded after about a month .
Good luck .

Susie42 Sat 28-May-22 12:08:05

My hairdresser said use Head & Shoulders shampoo to strip colour out.

GagaJo Sat 28-May-22 13:06:59

What about a temporary dye? They work differently to permanent ones. Permanent dyes go into the hair while temporary dyes just sit on top. It'll wash out but you could keep reapplying until you go to a hairdresser again. They're often called things like Wash In/Wash Out.

Alternatively, you could use one of the root touch up sprays. They literally spray on and wash out next time you wash your hair. You could just spray the top so you are less day-glo when you go out.

Mine Sat 28-May-22 13:23:27

Please be careful Libby R on what you are using...Your hair will be brittle and burnt....My friend had the same situation.....She ended up getting her hair cut very short....

Nanna58 Fri 03-Jun-22 12:14:40

So sorry, over the years I’ve had a few disasters and it’s really upsetting. And they were all with mobile hairdressers......

midgey Fri 03-Jun-22 12:56:11

Sounds horrendous for you, could you embrace hat wearing to allow your hair to grow? There are some great ones around.

ElaineI Fri 03-Jun-22 13:08:27

How is it now Libby?

Lexisgranny Fri 03-Jun-22 13:26:40

Whatever you do don’t put anything else on it yourself. You do need to go to an established reputable hairdresser. I speak from experience, granted many years ago, when I experimented with home dying and turned a ghastly shade of green, my hair felt slimy when I washed it because of all the products I had subjected it to, but a good hairdresser sorted it out.

aggie Fri 03-Jun-22 13:43:52

Hope it has grown a bit since March ? And toned down