Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

David Nieper pricey but worth it?

(36 Posts)
sandelf Tue 24-May-22 13:51:38

Their catalogue arrives, I read. "How much!?" And don't buy. BUT some of the clothes ARE lovely - Anyone know whether they are so good they really are worth it?

aonk Thu 26-May-22 13:23:26

Generally speaking I find their things rather “old lady” with exceptions of course. A dressing gown is a different story and they do look nice if quite expensive.

Esmay Thu 26-May-22 13:13:52

I have a David Nieper floral Jersey dressing gown, which is great for travelling as it packs up neatly .
It's beautiful quality , washes like a dream and I bought it from a charity shop years ago .

Casdon Tue 24-May-22 22:37:23

It’s good for basics though - I like their plain round neck T-shirts, because the neckline is more flattering than other brands I’ve found, it’s cut just a bit lower so I don’t feel as though I’m being strangled, and the sleeves are long enough and not too tight. It’s surprisingly hard to find things like that, I must have tried at least 10 different brands over the years.

Marydoll Tue 24-May-22 20:40:15

Germanshepherdsmum, some time ago, a poster asked opinions on a David Nieper item, she was thinking of buying.
I had a look at the site and decided the same as you. It definitely was a bit old fashioned for me.

rubysong Tue 24-May-22 20:31:19

I was lucky enough to find a David Nieper dress in a charity shop for £4.99. It fits like a glove, is very easy to wear and is always admired.

Smileless2012 Tue 24-May-22 17:35:18

Looks lovely Fanny. Go for it smile.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 24-May-22 17:28:34

I bought one of their tops once. It was well made and good quality. I get their catalogues regularly but rarely see anything I like other than underwear and nightwear. A lot of their things seem a bit old lady-ish for me (not including your dress Fanny!).

BlueBelle Tue 24-May-22 17:27:53

Well not many of us (well in my circle) could afford a dress for £135 however nice it was and I wouldn’t want to wear the same dress for x number of years I d rather pass it on to be recycled and have four or five different ones for that price
Each to his own budget i quess
I ve never heard of David Neiper

GrannyGravy13 Tue 24-May-22 17:01:55

Love the dress Fanny I am extremely tempted and about to browse the DN website ??

FannyCornforth Tue 24-May-22 16:57:16

Allsorts

Like the dress Fanny, but I would look huge and pregnant definitely wouldn’t match my face.

I will look huge in it too, but then I am huge!
I love the empire line style to it (my boobs are my smallest part, comparatively) and the sleeve length is perfect.
I think that it’s funny that it’s called ‘the everyday dress’.
For me, it would be the perfect Summer wedding guest dress.

Nell8 Tue 24-May-22 16:53:10

I couldn't find a suitable warm plain dressing gown elsewhere so splashed out on one from David Nieper. The quality of fabric and finish is excellent and it washes well. I like to think I'm supporting a team of seamstresses in a British business.

Allsorts Tue 24-May-22 16:45:50

Like the dress Fanny, but I would look huge and pregnant definitely wouldn’t match my face.

Vito Tue 24-May-22 16:41:58

I have two tops, brilliant quality and fit. I would recommend.

Casdon Tue 24-May-22 16:41:31

Buying good quality basic items is a good investment though BlueBelle. I’ve got two jersey shirts from David Nieper that I’ve had for years, and they still look really good. Not in the price league of Baby Dior, but a sensible investment of a bit more money to get something which lasts, surely?

BlueBelle Tue 24-May-22 16:35:31

Well walking on a carpets a bit different to wearing it ?? Very little of mine goes in landfill it goes to the charity shop and if it’s not good enough for them to sell then rags for painters/decorators car mechanics factories or for the fibres to be used for whatever they make with the fibres
I think its such a con spending huge amounts of money because a celebrity wears similar Do you know baby Dior clothes retail over £1000 and they may wear them for a month! That’s the crime

SiobhanSharpe Tue 24-May-22 15:47:48

Witzend i have a beautiful David Nieper floral dressing gown which has lasted really well for nearly 30 years now.
I love it, it still looks gorgeous and I reckon it'll see me out!
(It's reminiscent of one Nigella wore on one of her cooking programmes which sold out instantly when people discovered where to buy it. )

Urmstongran Tue 24-May-22 15:33:53

Quality lasts I suppose. Years ago people would choose a Wilton or Axminster carpet and still be walking on it 25 years later (and maybe sick of the colour or pattern!) Or buy cheap and more frequently. The dilemma these days is sustainability. How much do we think is acceptable send to landfill?

Visgir1 Tue 24-May-22 15:29:49

BlueBelle

Who wants to wear the same item for years and years though

My thoughts too.

Urmstongran Tue 24-May-22 15:23:41

I do. By default really!

BlueBelle Tue 24-May-22 15:18:38

Who wants to wear the same item for years and years though

sandelf Tue 24-May-22 14:39:10

Apparently the quality is good. I might put a toe in the water then. If you buy something you wear and wear for years then I don't mind a higher price.

Candelle Tue 24-May-22 14:35:07

Lovely dress but not for those 'well endowed' in the frontal area!

buffyfly9 Tue 24-May-22 14:32:00

I think you should treat yourself FC, it is very simple but elegant, I wish I hadn't seen it as I want one !!

MayBee70 Tue 24-May-22 14:29:40

DH says it’s Alfreton. I wanted a dress for a wedding but thought that there might be a chance of someone else of my age wearing the same dress.

MayBee70 Tue 24-May-22 14:28:07

FannyCornforth

Made in Derbyshire, I didn’t know that

Yes. We went to the shop once but I can’t remember where it was.