Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Vicuña socks

(8 Posts)
Baggs Sat 04-Jun-22 10:17:48

Has anyone else tried vicuña socks? I'm wearing some now. They are the warmest socks I've ever worn but they don't half fluff up a lot. Probably won't last as long as my woolly hikers though they do contain synthetic fibres too to help increase their lives.

henetha Sat 04-Jun-22 10:20:22

I haven't heard of those. Do they have soft tops? I wear bamboo socks because they are comfortable at the top and don't squeeze my legs like some socks do.

Callistemon21 Sat 04-Jun-22 10:37:49

I like bamboo socks as well. Most of mine were from TK Maxx.
Except for the ones from Woolovers which are tight and squeeze my ankles although my ankles are quite slim!

Off to investigate vicuña.

Callistemon21 Sat 04-Jun-22 10:39:59

Oh, alpaca yarn.
Someone near here produces alpaca socks.

Might be too warm for me

Aldom Sat 04-Jun-22 10:46:36

If your socks contain Alpaca they will fluff up. I bought an expensive Alpaca cardigan and only wore it a couple of times as it 'bobbled' badly. It wasn't even fit for giving to a Charity shop. I had to dispose of it in 'textiles'. I would never again purchase anything made with Alpaca.

henetha Sat 04-Jun-22 10:50:41

Ah! I didn't work out that Vicuna is the same as Alpaca.
I once had an alpaca scarf and glove set, and when I washed them they were ruined and went out of shape.

Baggs Sat 04-Jun-22 18:51:12

Vicuña isn't the same as alpaca. Alpaca yarn is different in quality. I have alpaca jumpers and they are quite scratchy so can't be worn directly next to the skin. Vicuña wool is very soft, like good cashmere.

I bought the socks at a farm shop at Scotch Corner before xmas last year.

henetha Sun 05-Jun-22 11:59:13

Oh. Thanks Baggs. My vicuna knowledge is very lacking!