Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Thinning hair

(109 Posts)
Pigma Sat 18-Jun-22 14:04:41

I saw a photograph of me taken from the back yesterday and my hair looked very thin on the crown, to the extent that I could clearly see my scalp through it. I’m in my seventies (just!) with dark hair that I currently colour every 6 weeks or so. Hubby confirmed that I am ‘looking a bit thin on top’. I’ve looked on the internet and there are several products I can try but just wondered, before I go shopping, if anybody has any recommendations for shampoos/treatments that they have had success with? Or is this just another age thing I have to live with? Many thanks.

Kate1949 Wed 17-Apr-24 09:32:49

I'm glad Susan smile

Susan56 Wed 17-Apr-24 08:08:42

I am so sorry so many are suffering with hair loss but agree Kate it is lovely to share stories.Reading through this thread has really helped me.

Kate1949 Tue 16-Apr-24 20:37:28

It's lovely to share stories and hopefully make each other feel better. The lovely people on here certainly do that.

grannyqueenie Tue 16-Apr-24 20:32:15

Kate you look wonderful, hold your head up high and wear your hair system with pride! To those who say “it’s only hair”, I’d reply that actually those of us who are losing ours do know that already and are incredibly grateful that it’s nothing life threatening. However it is life changing for many of us and can hugely erode our self confidence. I’ve never been vain or much into “preening” but I can tell you that since being diagnosed with Frontal Fibrosing Alopecia a few years ago I have become increasingly self conscious as the disease has progressed. It’s an irreversible auto immune condition there’s no medication that’s guaranteed to stop it in its tracks and what’s gone can never regrow. Side effects of the meditation that is offered can be nasty so I’m not prepared to go down that route.
Yes I know it’s “only” hair but it’s MY hair and it does matter to me! My lovely hairdresser has truly worked wonders for me in recent years but sadly that’s not enough now so I’ve recently started wearing a wig and I can’t believe what a difference it has made to how I feel about myself. Kind thoughts and gentle hugs to all those in the same sea, albeit sailing in different boats thanks

MayBee70 Tue 16-Apr-24 19:58:43

I’m ok with my lack of hair when I’m just wearing casual clothes ( which is most of the time these days). But I feel very unfeminine if I put on a dress and don’t have much in the way of hair.

Susan56 Tue 16-Apr-24 19:49:35

Thank you Kate and I agree that hair is very important to our well being.

Kate1949 Tue 16-Apr-24 19:40:21

You'll look great Susan. Hair is so important to our well being whether we care to admit it or not.

Susan56 Tue 16-Apr-24 19:30:48

Kate you look amazing.I hope mine is half as good.
The maintenance is a similar price to going to the hairdressers every six weeks.Like you I will save for the next replacement hair topper.

M0nica Tue 16-Apr-24 19:24:24

It is always easy to dismiss other people's problems - of course if this or that happened to me it wouldn't affect me.

This is simply an attitude I do not understand. To be in Kate 1949's situation, where you have, first lost all your teeth and then all your hair. It is bound to affect you, even if the individual, doesn't see their problems as defining themselves, othe people certainly will.

I paid a lot of money for a tooth implant because I didn't want to see people trying carefully not to look at the gap in my teeth, as happened between the oriinal tooth's removal and the replacement.

Mazgg Tue 16-Apr-24 18:21:21

Ten years ago I lost all my hair. My doctor said it was female pattern baldness and would be down to 'skillful hairdressing and wearing hats'. I was devastated, my hairdresser was furious when she heard what he had said as at within a short space of time I had lost 75% of my hair. I bought the best wig I could afford but saw another GP who referred me to a dermatologist who diagnosed alopecia totalis due to an autoimmune condition. Fortunately the condition repaired itself and my hair grew back.
As my hair grew in the wigs became uncomfortable and prickly so as soon as possible I had a very short pixie style.
It was a hard time but I am fortunate in being a glass half full type of person and thought about those who were suffering not only hair loss but often mastectomy too.

Kate1949 Tue 16-Apr-24 18:06:03

Yes!

V3ra Tue 16-Apr-24 18:04:00

Kate1949 you pay less for your hair system per year than we spend on holidays.

You get pleasure from it every single day so on a cost per wear calculation it's just over £5 a day. Bargain 🤗

M0nica Tue 16-Apr-24 15:59:14

When my hair started to get thinner, although I did not seem to be losing hair my hairdresser explained that as we get older the, centre part of each hair becomes thinner and what he have is as much haor but each individual hair is thinner.

Absolutely nothing you can do about it, all the thinning products in the world cannot change this. What I and my hair dresser did was discuss changes to my hair style to allow for the change in the mass of my hair and how it fell round my face.

Poppyred Tue 16-Apr-24 14:36:28

Thank you, Kate, it looks lovely! I wasn’t being unkind at all (as GSM seems to think) It seems to have come down in price a lot as well! Hmm something to reconsider, although I would have to factor in travel costs as well as I live 2 hours from nearest salon.

Kate1949 Tue 16-Apr-24 14:31:45

Thank you. I'll shut up now!

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 16-Apr-24 14:30:22

I defy anyone to know it’s not your own hair. Looks lovely.

crazyH Tue 16-Apr-24 14:29:19

Looks great 👌

Kate1949 Tue 16-Apr-24 14:23:15

GSM flowers

Kate1949 Tue 16-Apr-24 14:21:55

I'm not very good at this but I'll give it a go for anyone who may be interested. This was taken at Christmas.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 16-Apr-24 14:21:33

I’m glad you do. That’s my reason for still being here.

Kate1949 Tue 16-Apr-24 14:20:03

You are spot on GSM. I would have had to find a way as I have a family.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 16-Apr-24 14:06:07

I can understand exactly why Kate feels the way she does despite her wonderful hair system, Poppy. She pays less than I did when I had my highlights done regularly (I have now accepted the grey). I’m sure she knows exactly how she would feel if she couldn’t afford it (I suspect she would no longer be here) so that was rather unnecessary. In her position I have no doubt that I would make huge sacrifices in order to afford it if I had to.

Kate1949 Tue 16-Apr-24 13:47:28

I'll try to post one Poppy. Yes it's expensive. I pay £83 every 6 weeks to have it taken off and conditioned and my scalp conditioned (which is what I would probably pay a hairdresser anyway) and then £1800 every 18 months for replacement systems. I save monthly for it. Yes I'm lucky I can afford it.

Poppyred Tue 16-Apr-24 13:40:11

Sorry posted too soon. Imagine how you would feel if you couldn’t afford this system. I’m sure there are thousands of women out there who would love to be able to afford it. Me being one of them!

Poppyred Tue 16-Apr-24 13:37:48

Kate would you mind posting a picture of your hair again? I haven’t seen it and find it very hard to understand why you still feel the way you do although you now have a ‘system’ which by all accounts works brilliantly (although very expensive, £3000 plus yearly?).