Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

T shirts that won’t shrink in length

(21 Posts)
welshchrissy Wed 27-Jul-22 09:35:46

Can anyone recommend a brand of t shirt that doesn’t shrink in the wash. I love cotton t shirts but whether a buy cheapies like £5 each or pay £20 each they by the end of the summer they have gone from hip length to resembling a boob tube. I only ever wash at 30 degrees so that shouldn’t be to blame. The latest ones were from Bon Marche just put one on and again it is skimming my waist not my hips. Please does anyone have a solution.

JaneJudge Wed 27-Jul-22 09:38:11

I bought some from next in a pack of 5 and they are a good size (long enough too) and haven't shrunk even after being in the tumble dryer. There may be other options but they were these:

www3.next.co.uk/style/st698026/988559#988559

karmalady Wed 27-Jul-22 09:40:27

you cannot guarantee that unless you know that the fabric has been pre-washed prior to them having the t shirts made. As a sewist and having made many t shirts for myself, every fabric I use is pre-washed, fabrics tend to shrink between 10 and 15%

rosie1959 Wed 27-Jul-22 09:45:19

Never had a problem with M&S or Next

Sago Wed 27-Jul-22 09:45:48

Uniqlo make outstanding T shirts.
Mine are still looking good after 3 years.

BigBertha1 Wed 27-Jul-22 09:48:18

Gap
Lands End
Crew Clothing

henetha Wed 27-Jul-22 09:50:30

Cotton Traders
Next
M&S

GagaJo Wed 27-Jul-22 09:54:09

I've had problems with Next. Bought two long t-shirts that hugely stretched width ways and shrunk in length. I'm now using them for nighties.

toscalily Wed 27-Jul-22 10:17:53

I like Uniqlo too. I have over the years bought several Landsend T shirts, Petite, small were slightly longer on me but washed and wore really well, nice quality cotton, but bought a T shirt from them this summer and it is much thinner, have only used & washed once so far so not sure how long it will last. I have M&S T's that are years old of thicker cotton & right length but the two I bought this year are thin & quite stretchy and when I tried some on in store they were all far too long, in length & sleeve.

sf101 Wed 27-Jul-22 10:21:10

Taking shape are very good and lots of colours.

Callistemon21 Wed 27-Jul-22 10:31:19

Land's End are the best I've found.

DillytheGardener Wed 27-Jul-22 10:32:23

I wear COS T-shirt’s, the quality is excellent and they last and last. Never had a problem with shrinking. They are expensive but they stay looking nice so I don’t need to own many.

Caleo Wed 27-Jul-22 12:51:52

My cheap Asda cotton t-shirts are soft and retain their length. They are one the few garments I actually wear out.
T-shirts from Cotton |Traders I find rather hard and they lose their length and get broader. May be a higher proportion of man-made fibre in the mix causes better shape retention.

Teacheranne Wed 27-Jul-22 15:03:50

I have never had a problem with basic t shirts from Cotton Traders, I’ve bought several recently and none have shrunk. I only replace them because they get stained from food ( I’m a messy eater!)

sodapop Wed 27-Jul-22 15:24:43

Same here Teacheranne no white shirts for me, soup is the worst offender.

Is it someone's law that an item which is too large never shrinks in the washer or dryer. Conversely something which is just right always shrinks smile

Blossoming Wed 27-Jul-22 16:00:23

I bought a multi pack from Rapanui a couple of years ago. They are lasting really well and when you’re finished with them you can return them for recycling into new garments.

Jaxjacky Wed 27-Jul-22 16:39:44

Tu long, I’m tall, so need the length, I love them, never shrink and a few £’s.

Chewbacca Wed 27-Jul-22 17:01:56

I've long since given up on M&S t shirts for this very reason. 30 degree wash and I don't own a tumble dryer, so they're line dried, pegged at the shoulder seams. And still they shrank up. Now I buy them from Sainsbury's Tu and, t shirts that I've kept for years, still haven't shrunk in either direction. Cheaper than M&S too.

Mine Wed 27-Jul-22 18:56:58

I bought tshirts last year from morrisons (nutmeg clothing)...They are amazing...They are 50% modal and 50% cotton and cost £5.00...They have never shrunk or lost their shape.. I'm wearing a black one just now...

MayBee70 Wed 27-Jul-22 18:59:05

I always hold my t shirts by the hem and spin them round to lengthen them after they’ve been washed.

AussieGran59 Wed 03-Aug-22 04:13:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.