Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Facial hair - beginning to look like Rasputin!!

(42 Posts)
sadmum7 Tue 09-Aug-22 10:36:41

For years l had the odd one or two hairs , over the last 10 years this has increased to now l have loads on chin, neck . Tried shaving was effective not so much now.

Considering a Braun IPL but not sure if they are any good - does anyone have any experience or suggestion please

Blondiescot Mon 15-Aug-22 17:41:50

My local beautician always does my threading in a private room. I'd never get it done in those places in the middle of shopping centres etc where you're surrounded by other people.

SachaMac Mon 15-Aug-22 16:24:24

That was rather unprofessional of the threader Grannyroat least with waxing you are usually in a private room. I don’t like the way they do threading in the middle of stores where people are walking through or the way they appear to hold the thread in or near their mouth. Never had it done myself though so I can’t comment on the effectiveness.

grannyro Mon 15-Aug-22 11:53:04

I started having threading as I had very fine light hairs on either side of my face. However I think it has made things worse. I now have to go regularly and I hate it! Sitting in a chair with other people around makes me cringe. Last time I went the beautician said out loud "Wow, that hair is really long, lucky it is light coloured!" Of course everyone turned to look at the bearded lady!

GreyKnitter Thu 11-Aug-22 22:59:19

I have used immac and veto in the past and shaved my legs but the re growth is very thick and stubbly. I know have my face and legs waxed - usually every 2-3 weeks as the regrowth is much finer and no harsh stubble. Think I’ll stick with this for now. I’m afraid the idea of shaving my face really isn’t something I fancy, but I do worry about when Im old and senile! Ps. Underarms are shaved too, tried waxing once but found it too painful!

SachaMac Thu 11-Aug-22 20:44:24

The worse thing is when you have been out somewhere special thinking you’re all groomed and looking ok then you come home and look in the mirror in a different light & notice you have some really obvious dark hairs sprouting on your chin for all to see! That always makes me cringe! They seem to appear from nowhere at times.

Bazza Thu 11-Aug-22 20:38:59

Has anyone had dermaplaning? It’s quite a new treatment and it’s brilliant. Mu daughter has a salon and she does it. It leaves your face like a baby’s bottom with no chemicals, lotions or electronic equipment. It’s done with a disposable scalpel type tool which is gently scraped over your face (I can’t think of a better word, sounds horrible!) I’ve had it done and it’s brilliant and not overly expensive. Totally painless too. I was amazed at the fuzz that came off of my face and I didn’t think I was very hairy.

dogsmother Thu 11-Aug-22 20:26:41

Ah Monica, I have no stubble after my morning shave for hours ?

Merryweather Thu 11-Aug-22 17:43:03

When I first saw this, I was very sceptical. But it works, it really works. I used it everywhere this morning and I’m smooth all over. Cheap, painless and it works.

Norveda Crystal Hair Eraser | Nano Crystal Hair Remover, Painless Exfoliation Hair Removal Tool for Men and Women, Fast & Easy Magic Crystal Hair Remover, Soft Smooth (Pink) amzn.eu/d/c2MCF0f

Dearknees1 Thu 11-Aug-22 15:41:22

Tweezing and using an epilator weakens hair growth over time. I P L is better for more permanent removal and, although not instant, works fairly quickly especially for me on my legs. However it only works on dark hair so I’ve already missed the window of opportunity on some on my chin.

M0nica Thu 11-Aug-22 15:19:37

Shaving leaves stubble, just passable on legs, but on your (my) face? Yuk, no way.

Saggi Thu 11-Aug-22 14:49:17

Also I swim a lot ….so everything gets shaved …. Especially legs.

Saggi Thu 11-Aug-22 14:48:28

Shaving is best ….also takes of layer of dead skin cells. Brilliant!

singingnutty Thu 11-Aug-22 14:38:43

I shave my moustache but it always looks as if I have one as I had very dark hair when younger. I tweeze thicker hairs from chin and under chin area. Strangely enough, I find I can see them best when looking in the car mirror! I use Boots Smooth Care Hair Lightener on the finer hairs on my face and this is very effective at changing the colour to white, and I think also the hair grows not so thickly. I used to have hairy hands as well, but now just my fingers up to the first joint. I come from a hairy family - my mum had facial hair and my Dad (and now my sons) had very thick body hair. Husband is very hairy too. He says he has lots of hair, but it's all slipped down as he is now very thin on top.
I am always amazed going to swimming venues and seeing men with completely hairless chests and limbs.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 11-Aug-22 14:15:54

Poppyred

I use veet sensitive for nostrils and upper lip area - both very effective. Tweezers for chin hair - but that’s getting too much now, so I’m going for electrolosis. Lazer treatment is not permanent- I’ve been told and does not get rid of white hair.

How lucky you are! Veet senitive removes the skin on my upper lip, leaving the hairs intact! And even using a magnifying mirroir I cannot see well enough to tweeze my eyebrows, although as yet I can still tweeze my chin.

I shall just have to put up with steadily becoming hairer, as I cannot afford the prices beauty palours charge for waxing or other methods of hair removal.

HannahLoisLuke Thu 11-Aug-22 14:08:40

I’m a fan of epilators too. They get rid of all that peach fuzz as well as any longer straggly hairs. Mine also has a very gentle shaver attachment but I’ve only tried it out once.

Gabrielle56 Thu 11-Aug-22 13:46:16

#my youth! And#shaves spray can we pleeeeeas have an editing tool?!?!?

Gabrielle56 Thu 11-Aug-22 13:45:12

In my your I used king of shaves stay to suppress my lush legs growth! Now not an issue, it's all migrated to me chine from all the other little places that are now bald as bacon! All that wasted time having a Brazilian........

Lucca Thu 11-Aug-22 13:44:05

BarbieB

I had chemo 5 years ago and was delighted when the hair on my head grew back, the Consultant told me it would likely be much finer and sparser than before. On one visit she asked me how it was going hair wise and l told her my head hair is coming along fine but l am damn sure l didn’t have a moustache before chemo. She found that most amusing!

How long did it take ?

Gabrielle56 Thu 11-Aug-22 13:42:32

One of those little rechargeable shavey things from jml usually and combination of tweeze and remover cream depending on where I'm going! Combo works well different snagglers need different extermination methods......

BarbieB Thu 11-Aug-22 13:08:40

I had chemo 5 years ago and was delighted when the hair on my head grew back, the Consultant told me it would likely be much finer and sparser than before. On one visit she asked me how it was going hair wise and l told her my head hair is coming along fine but l am damn sure l didn’t have a moustache before chemo. She found that most amusing!

kevincharley Thu 11-Aug-22 12:01:37

It all depends whether the hair is pigmented or whethere they're coming through white.
IPL and laser work on destroying the pigment so the darker the hair the more chance of the treatment working.
I found that IPL didn't work. Ruby laser was the only thing that had an effect but it only lasted about 3 years.
Electrolysis is the other option which destroys the hair root.
I'm not a very good advertisement for this as, like IPL, it didn't work but I know people who have had great results. My hairs just seem to be more stubborn than most.

Alioop Thu 11-Aug-22 11:46:13

I bought a Finishing Touch Flawless in Argos in Monday for all my 'strays' that are poking out from my chin, etc now. It seems very good and had £5 off, so only £15 at the minute. It has a little light on it too, small and handy.

cc Thu 11-Aug-22 11:42:10

I understand that lasers don't work on white hair. I use the sensitive creams on my upper lip occasionally but usually just use tweezers. I'm lucky that I don't have too many and they're quite wiry so I can pluck them easily within a couple of days of them first coming through. A few have completely disappeared now, with continuous plucking.
My problem is how to see under my chin!

Loobs Thu 11-Aug-22 11:36:34

I too have had this problem for years - PCOS - and have recently started using a cream called Vaniqa. It doesn't get rid of the hair but it doesn't grow back quite so quickly. Very expensive but I get it on prescription from my GP. If you can't get your GP to agree, I believe it's about £60 to purchase although I can no longer see it for sale on Amazon. However, if you search on Amazon for Vaniqa you will see several hair growth suppressors - don't know if they work though?

sadmum7 Thu 11-Aug-22 11:12:23

Thanks everyone for comments - it is a minefield looks like IPL / Electrolysis is the way forward .

The hairs are dark and plentiful! On chin(s) and now going into my neck . I have tried creams, waxing, epilators with limited success. Have been shaving for a while but this is now daily and not a “clean” shave . Sounds horrific as l type this ?