Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Anyone decided to go fully grey from brunette

(68 Posts)
HeavenLeigh Thu 08-Dec-22 21:16:57

Never thought I’d say it, but so fed up of dying my hair every 4 weeks, mid sixty’s and just been looking online at the beautiful hairstyles in grey silver and white, and thinking should I just go for it and take the plunge, I have shoulder length Bob, so I’m expecting it to take a good 12 months.

crazyH Mon 09-Jan-23 00:03:27

I will keep dyeing my hair dark brown till my hands ache…d.i.y. So, not expensive. Grey hair just doesn’t suit my face and colouring. Besides, my boys are a bit shallow. They don’t want their Mum to look ‘old’. Just joking…I’m sure they will love me, regardless. I don’t use any other make-up. Very, very occasionally, I use foundation.

Mom3 Sun 08-Jan-23 23:43:22

I let mine go grey during Covid. It's silvery white around my face which I like but in back it's more salt and pepper and looks dreary. I have cut it myself after watching YouTube videos and did okay, but want to get a good professional cut. Still concerned about Covid variants so won't do that for awhile. Also trying to update makeup and looking at how-to videos about that and bought new foundation and mascara online. DD commented at Christmas how nice I looked so that was an appreciated compliment.

LRavenscroft Sun 08-Jan-23 20:57:04

I think the secret to letting your hair go grey is to make sure you have a really good cut, style it well and let nature do the rest.

Oreo Sun 08-Jan-23 20:08:00

I would go grey if it was necessary as I can’t be bothered faffing around with hair dye, or the cost of it, but my brown hair has very little grey in it as yet.
What others say such as getting grey highlights or streaks put in is a good idea if you want to hurry up the process.

Lucca Sun 08-Jan-23 18:14:49

I stopped having mine coloured at 60
It went a really nice silver

The.n I got cancer and had chemo. it has grown back mostly and the short hair suits me but the fringe won’t grow properly and my hair is now curly !

So listen to what Katie 1949 says !

Lucca Sun 08-Jan-23 18:10:49

Kate1949

Embrace the hair full stop. You don't know what you've got til it's gone.

👏

Fleurpepper Sun 08-Jan-23 18:09:46

Was brunette and now been salt and pepper for quite some time. I did have streaks for a few years to 'soften the blow'.

Oldbat1 Sun 08-Jan-23 18:04:15

Trouble is I started to go grey in my 20s then I had it professionally coloured for at least twenty years but the gap inbetween colouring became less as it needed doing every few weeks. I just bit the bullet when 50 and went grey with no regrets and it only needs a cut every 6wks.

HeavenLeigh Sun 08-Jan-23 17:19:09

Good on you bluebalou

BlueBalou Fri 30-Dec-22 06:28:29

I stopped dyeing mine 20 years ago (I’m 69”, it was such a faff because my hair grows very quickly)
I’m very happily a pure silver fox 😊

JackyB Sun 11-Dec-22 10:55:27

I have had grey hair since my early twenties. My hairdresser puts dark streaks in my original colour in (very dark brown). I have it quite short.

Over the years I have asked her to put fewer and fewer dark streaks in as the grey is no longer a problem. It always looks very natural and I am now practically all grey.

So I have gone for a natural progression, just slower than nature intended.

Nannytopsy Fri 09-Dec-22 22:18:17

Instead of dyeing my hair brown, which always went blond, mine was dyed in 2 or 3 shades of grey, so I went grey overnight! Love it and now that my natural colour has come through, there are lots of lovely comments. Go for it!

swampy1961 Fri 09-Dec-22 22:01:27

When I was having chemo, I was cold capping so could not colour my hair - as what didn't fall out was very fragile. After treatment finished half my hair was coloured and the other half going grey.
My hairdresser kept trimming it and eventually one haircut I was grey with brown lowlights!! It didn't look too bad - it has since gone greyer with some lovely white highlights in it but still with brown lowlights.
So I'd say embrace the grey - if it doesn't feel right you can always colour it again.

GreyhairedWarrior Fri 09-Dec-22 21:48:01

I stopped dying mine when I got to 70 and the face under the brown hair just didn't match. Luckily (in a rather particular sense of luck) it was the height of the covid pandemic and we just didn't go anywhere or do anything for a year, and by the time we got to the end of that I was properly grey. I'm now grey all over with bits getting whiter at the front and sides.

HettyBetty Fri 09-Dec-22 19:15:18

I went grey quite young, it is a family tradition. I have it cut very well every six weeks and it is in excellent condition, very soft and shiny. I'm lucky to have good skin and never wear make up, just a bit of E45 occasionally as a moisturiser.

I think a good posture and a smile outweigh most things.

cc Fri 09-Dec-22 18:52:28

"Presumably if you have brunette dye taken off you are left with the natural grey? Who knew?"
I've had colour stripped out a couple of times after colouring that was too dark. The problem is that the hair that isn't grey yet may go orange, as mine did. Effectively you're bleaching it and many brunettes go orange if you do this. Also yes, the dye you've previously used may not come out of the grey completely.
I've changed to a lighter colour - medium blonde - which is actually light mid-brown. It doesn't look quite so harsh as a darker colour. Also it allows a bit of streakiness to show through so looks softer.
As I get greyer I think that the colour looks less natural and I think I'll gradually change to lighter shades applied in a more streaky way. But at the moment I just feel washed out when my hair fades too much.

cc Fri 09-Dec-22 18:43:06

My hair isn't a "nice" grey, so I'm putting it off. I have my hair done every couple of months but my hairdresser gives me enough colour to do my roots once or twice in between.

GreyKnitter Fri 09-Dec-22 18:39:10

I got my hairdresser to put in some lighter streaks a few times and then just went for it - but mine is fairly short so didn’t take too long.

HeavenLeigh Fri 09-Dec-22 18:00:12

I’ve been colouring my hair at home since very young teenager, but I won’t use the colour be gone, knowing my luck I’d look horrendous, so I’m going to go cold turkey and wait I think, I’m actually getting quite excited thinking thank goodness no more hair colour ant piled on my head, I had read that some peoples hair seems to grow back thicker, I would have thought dyed hair would be thicker as the dye swells the hair shaft! Anyone found their hair came through thicker, nice thought as I have fine hair! 🤣

FannyCornforth Fri 09-Dec-22 15:32:22

PinkCosmos I had mine stripped at the best salon locally to me - I wanted it to be done properly.
I definitely wouldn’t do it at home, and I’ve been dyeing my hair at home for 30 odd years

PinkCosmos Fri 09-Dec-22 15:28:49

* not lightened, she didn't use bleach. Just gradually went to lighter shades of dye

PinkCosmos Fri 09-Dec-22 15:28:05

I use Nice'n'Easy but the semi-permanent, no ammonia version. Over the years I have gone gradually lighter.

This is what I use and what I have done. I find it gives a highlighted effect on my hair as I am about 50% grey

A friend of mine did the same as Varian and ended up very pale blonde. She left it to grow out and is now completely white. Because she had lightened her hair to such a pale shade the transition was hardly noticeable

varian Fri 09-Dec-22 15:14:24

I use Nice'n'Easy but the semi-permanent, no ammonia version. Over the years I have gone gradually lighter.

Sometimes when I am with friends my age I realise that I am the only one left who is not grey or white-haired. My OH tells me when the roots are showing so I keep doing it.

I wonder whether it is OK to have coloured hair after a certain age? Joan Bakewell is 89 and I think she looks fine.

PinkCosmos Fri 09-Dec-22 14:49:12

Presumably if you have brunette dye taken off you are left with the natural grey? Who knew?

I did this and my hair ended up a brassy orange colour. I think the dye will stain your hair permanently to some extent.

If this happens, they advise putting an ash coloured rinse on to tone down the brassiness. I did this and my hair looked green to me.

I ended up re-dyeing it to my normal dye colour.

NotTooOld Fri 09-Dec-22 13:40:02

'You can get dye stripping treatments so maybe don't even have to wait for it to grow out.' Hetty.

Really, Hetty? Can you get this done at the salon, is it expensive and does it work? Presumably if you have brunette dye taken off you are left with the natural grey? Who knew?