Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Jumpers embellished with beads

(11 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Tue 27-Dec-22 11:59:20

One of my Christmas presents is a nice cabled jumper but it has quite a lot of small pearl beads decorating it. My fear is that they will come off at some point and cause trouble for the washing machine. Not sure whether to return it. Has anyone had trouble with decorations on woollens. Any input please?

Callistemon21 Tue 27-Dec-22 12:02:48

Turn it inside out and put it in a net washing bag.

Or hand wash.

Theexwife Tue 27-Dec-22 12:34:31

I had a cardigan with beads on the sleeves, I used to wash it inside out and was fine. If you are worried then wash it by hand.

sodapop Tue 27-Dec-22 12:35:55

What Theexwife said

Lovetopaint037 Tue 27-Dec-22 14:05:35

Brilliant ! Thank you so much. The beads are on the cables on the front. (M&S). Inside out and I will get a net washing bag. So now I don’t have to get a bus into the local crowded M&S, stand in a queue and look for something else before a wait in the cold to return home. Once more the common sense of Gransnet has helped me. A very Happy New Year to you and thank you.

Esmay Tue 27-Dec-22 15:33:13

I tend to wash fancy things by hand , but if pushed I turn them inside out and put them in old pillowcases knotting the top carefully .

Good luck .

lixy Tue 27-Dec-22 17:00:49

Another 'inside-outer' here both for beads and sequins.
I usually hand wash both but spin in the machine as I don't want to wring them.

Mollygo Tue 27-Dec-22 17:17:57

Inside out and net bag has already been said, so I’ll just endorse that. My favourite sequinned jumper is now 4 years old and still looking good.

Forsythia Tue 27-Dec-22 17:20:52

Same here with a sequin jumper. Inside out, a 15 minute short wash in a pillow case. Dried on an airer near to the radiator or the Aga.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 28-Dec-22 09:42:03

Thank you. I am expecting the net bags to arrive today. I ordered them yesterday after the advice received. Amazing that sequins have survived 4 years Mollygo.

BigBertha1 Wed 28-Dec-22 10:42:39

I would be washing that by hand but quite honestly it would probably end up in the charity bag.