Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Why are we so fickle?! I don’t think it’s vanity - is it??

(21 Posts)
Supergranuation Wed 28-Dec-22 16:28:31

I have been asking myself this lately and I think most of us are the same? Why is it that I spend hours plucking and shaving my eyebrows, chin, arms, legs etc but I would love my eyelashes to be long and bushy? Why do I spend ages blow drying my hair to curl under when it’s naturally dead straight? Why do I spend hours filing and shaping my finger nails and spend money on products to make them grow stronger when my toenails seem to grow so tough and so fast that I have to cut them weekly? Why does my hair want to be grey when I want it to stay blonde? Why do I wish I was taller, nothing I can do about that, why do I wish I had a proper bosom instead of two flat fried eggs? I could do something about that but I won’t. This is not for cosmetic reasons but it would make buying clothes easier. When I was younger I wouldn’t have gone outside the front door without a full face of eye and face make up, nowadays it’s just concealer, and blusher so maybe one day I won’t be so bothered about not wearing that and let my body hair grow but I sincerely hope not!!!

BlueBelle Wed 28-Dec-22 16:29:38

I don’t do any of those things but I try to stay looking nice

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 28-Dec-22 16:40:25

I think we compare ourselves unfavourably to others (especially when we're young) which is a sure fire way to feel inadequate. My wavy hair was the bane of my life as a teenager - I so wanted to have straight hair like Cathy McGowan (the Claudia Winkleman of the 60s) on Ready Steady Go. It was never going to look like that.

Hopefully we are more accepting or ourselves as we get older and gain a better sense of perspective.

Calendargirl Wed 28-Dec-22 16:58:08

I don’t do any of that either, very, very rarely wear any make up.

I think I look clean and tidy, and am quite slim which is important to me, far more than any of the rest.

Try to keep fit and active for my age.

GagaJo Wed 28-Dec-22 18:01:37

I have different levels of ok. 1-clean and today. 2-make-up ready for work. 3-make-up and smartly dressed. 4-heavier make-up/dolled up for going out.

I also have slob around the house, level zero.

GagaJo Wed 28-Dec-22 18:02:47

1-clean and tidy. 🙄

Katie59 Wed 28-Dec-22 18:24:49

That’s the way most of us are made, dress and make up according to how we feel ( assuming it’s not uniform) we are all different, what you see is what you get.

Allsorts Wed 28-Dec-22 18:35:05

I don’t dye my hair, I like the colour it is. Don’t leave the house
until I look the best I can. Don’t wear loads of make up, the minimum it needs to feel reasonably presentable. Once ready, that’s it for most of the day.

AussieGran59 Thu 29-Dec-22 06:11:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Juliet27 Thu 29-Dec-22 06:30:50

I so wanted to have straight hair like Cathy McGowan
I did have and looking at old photos I wasn’t bad looking but I was never happy with myself so I guess we just have to appreciate and make the most of what we’ve got at whatever stage we’re at.

TopSec Thu 29-Dec-22 06:34:14

Unfortunately, like yourself, I do all of that. I am 67 now, still work full time and far too old to change. In fact I think I have got worse. I have recently had eye liner tattoo done as I simply could not see to do them myself. This was a game changer for me and has saved me so much time. I have long hair, but wear it up 99% of the time - why don't I just have it cut? I dye my hair because the though of growing it out when I am so grey underneath scares the hell out of me. So yes, guilty of all the above and will probably continue to do so (maybe that's why I am still working full time smile

DanniRae Thu 29-Dec-22 08:49:11

I don't do any of that either and hope I look ok? To be honest I feel ok when I look in the mirror BUT I avoid having my photo! I don't like the me in photos!! shock

Blossoming Thu 29-Dec-22 09:47:13

I’m just naturally beautiful grin

Mollygo Thu 29-Dec-22 10:53:19

I colour my hair, use make-up most days and (until I got an Oodie) never lolled around in anything I wouldn’t go out in. It makes me feel good, so I suppose I’m looking after my mental health.
If you’re happy with yourself with what you do or don’t do, that’s all you need.

HousePlantQueen Thu 29-Dec-22 11:09:49

I changed a bit during lockdown; chiefly letting my hair grow out grey and being pleasantly surprised that it was ok. Still have a good cut though. I used to wear light make up every day, but now I wear a light BB cream and fill in my eyebrows, even on a slobbing around day, I need to get back to getting them tinted. I always have earrings in, always spray perfume; what is the point of keeping things like that 'for best'? Generally wear jeans and a sweater, look fairly smart, and always clean and tidy. I do, however, agree with the OP about the constant struggle with hair; good mirror and tweezers in the morning, but I admit that legs are allowed to flourish in the winter months and get waxed when the shorts go on!

Juliet27 Thu 29-Dec-22 11:13:51

Blossoming

I’m just naturally beautiful grin

I’m sure you’re bloomin’ lovely 😉

Kate1949 Thu 29-Dec-22 11:32:24

Well I am a tryer. I have lost all my teeth and my hair. It has been a total nightmare. However, for some bizarre reason, I keep at it. I try to keep reasonably slim. I buy modern (ish) clothes. I wear make up and do my nails. I have no idea why I keep going but I do.

Juliet27 Thu 29-Dec-22 11:38:21

That puts me to shame Kate . Some days I can’t be bothered. I must try harder!

Kate1949 Thu 29-Dec-22 11:57:50

Not intended to put you to shame Juliet. It's all relative. We have to deal with what we are dealt

OnwardandUpward Thu 29-Dec-22 12:01:55

As I've aged, I feel I look older with foundation on, so I've taken more care of my skin and go for the natural look. Maybe I was doing something wrong for the foundation to look so bad?

M0nica Thu 29-Dec-22 21:03:45

I never wished to be other than I was, but I was aware that, like most I have good points and bad and that the bad points meant I couldn't always wear the clothes I wanted to.