Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Sewing fine fabric

(12 Posts)
nandad Tue 17-Jan-23 18:42:38

We are going to a smart 1920s themed evening. I have a dress that would be suitable with some additions. A friend has loaned me a collar/wrap type of thing which looks fabulous and would really make the dress stand out. The problem is it is beaded and heavy and keeps on sliding around. Friend has said to stitch it to the dress but I’m a little anxious about doing this as the material is a fine net. Does anyone know how I can put a couple of stitches in without damaging the item? Dress is velvet and doesn’t get worn anymore.

B9exchange Tue 17-Jan-23 18:44:56

I would hand sew a couple of stitches at the back of the next to keep it from sliding off, and remove then after the evening.

Ilovecheese Tue 17-Jan-23 19:17:01

If it is heavy, it may just pull the dress with it when it moves, and make things worse. Try it and see but try it before the event.

Ilovecheese Tue 17-Jan-23 19:19:24

You should be able to stitch the net without damage but make sure to use a very sharp, fine needle. I hope you have a lovely time in any event

Redhead56 Tue 17-Jan-23 19:58:06

Stitch it near a seam that can take the weight in a few places. Have a lovely time I adore 1920s music dress and style.

LOUISA1523 Tue 17-Jan-23 22:08:49

Absolutely no idea....but it sounds like a fun evening...enjoy

vegansrock Wed 18-Jan-23 05:32:56

You could try a couple of very small fine safety pins on the inside of the dress just catching the beaded net on the outside. You can get these in different colours so they wouldn’t show- attach to the dress seams and the shoulder seams of the collar. In addition you could hand stitch some fine stitches to firmly anchor the collar in place.

JackyB Wed 18-Jan-23 08:46:22

Sew some thin tape along the hem/edge to strengthen it, prevent tearing and stretching. This should then be easier to attach to the dress. If the tape would be too visible, perhaps just boldly edge it with a matching braid to give yourself something to stitch into.

In fact, with a braid or ribbon edging you could use tiny safety pins to fix it in place.

nandad Wed 18-Jan-23 10:07:20

Thank you all for your suggestions and good wishes. I hadn’t thought about it pulling the dress, which I think it may do as it’s heavy. Will try some small safety pins and wear the dress at home for a bit. If that fails will have to replace it with a boa.

Esmay Wed 18-Jan-23 12:02:55

I'd be careful with this .
I once stitched a heavy beaded collar to a fine net dress and the net tore .
Both were antique from the 1920's and I didn't raise how fragile the material had become .

I'd stitch a satin ribbon to the collar and make a bow .

If you rouch up the ribbon it won't look out of place .
You could even pin a diamanté brooch in the centre of the bow and it would look a deliberate part of the design .

Esmay Wed 18-Jan-23 12:04:30

Not sure if it isn't ruch !?
Or is that the Anwrican spelling ?

NotSpaghetti Wed 18-Jan-23 12:10:13

I wouldn't risk this with something belonging to someone else tbh.
I know the sort of heavy beading you describe and think it will tear. Maybe less likely if some tough modern synthetic I suppose but I'd be very wary.
What fabric is it?
Mine is silk and very gauzy.