Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Talking about hats………….light/heavy hearted depending upon how you look at it!

(47 Posts)
Lexisgranny Mon 23-Jan-23 18:51:06

Family photograph albums show me wearing a wide range of hats. Sunbonnets that had a distinct milkmaid look; berets to co-ordinate with winter coats, GiGi hats, Russian Cossack, cartwheel, fascinator, you name it, I’ve worn it, so why can’t I now?

If I venture through the door in a hat, my husband compliments me (though he must know I look ridiculous) children snigger, grandchildren, look away and roll their eyes. I can’t work out whether it’s my face ( to be fair I tend to avoid mirrors nowadays). My hair? quite a nice silver colour, but nothing special. The shape of my head? But surely that can’t change? Really worst of all is a bobble hat or beanie, honestly Bennie from Crossroads looks straight off the catwalk in comparison.

Honestly, it’s got to the point when I look round at other ladies and immediately imagine what they would look like in wedding hats and know that no matter how “homely” the face, they will certainly look better than I would.

Have any gransnetters noticed that items of clothing or headgear that they used to feel quite comfortable in (and I’m not talking miniskirts and hot pants) now look really weird? Maybe I will have to embrace eccentricity and wear a huge hat with an all encompassing face veil in future before I can venture out wearing any form of headgear………though come to think of it there is always a balaclava. I must rush off and perfect my eye-liner.

Oreo Tue 24-Jan-23 14:22:31

Lexisgranny

Hurrah, it’s not just me, but respect to those who do justice to the titfer!

😁 My Dad used to say titfer, he was a real Cockney ( rhyming slang for those not in the know) tit-for-tat, hat.

Lexisgranny Tue 24-Jan-23 13:50:08

I am ashamed to say I bought a bonnet made from daisies (that tied under the chin with a satin bow) from BHS to match my Dollyrocker dress…………… what was I thinking of, though to be fair, the only time it was on my head afterwards was in front of my bedroom mirror. Perhaps the writing was on the wall then.

Auntieflo Tue 24-Jan-23 13:38:33

I love hats, but they don't love me. I have made various crochet and knitted hats, then they don't get worn much.
My favourite is a 1930's style, felt one, that I wore to our grandson's passing out parade a few years ago. It kept my ears warm on a very cold day.
I also have one from JL and wear it occasionally, but it squashes my hair.
Does anyone remember going to Bhs, on a Saturday, and trying on all their lovely hats? Mum and I used to do this and have a giggle.

Margiknot Tue 24-Jan-23 12:18:12

I quite like practical hats- to keep my ears warm mostly or shade my neck in summer.. My hair has always been baby fine and thin, never a crowning glory so it doesn’t help keep me warm. A modest hat can add a little width and height. My favourite hat at present is a black felt style with a narrow rimmed style of hat ( not as wide as a fedora). I too have some child sized hats Mini! I think my family are used to seeing me in woolly hats and having minimal hair - crushing under a hat - I am recognisable even to the little ones.

MiniMoon Tue 24-Jan-23 11:54:39

I have always found it difficult to find a hat to fit my small, round head.
I have several, the one I wear most is a home crocheted beanie type thing made from fluffy chunky yarn. I have another couple of winter hats, two or three wedding hats and fascinators and a child's size sun hat that I bought on holiday in Italy last year.
I would like more opportunities to wear them.

Jaxjacky Tue 24-Jan-23 11:44:42

I wear a black Fedora on occasion with a fake fur coat, but the occasions are few and far between, straw sun hat or baseball cap in the summer. Otherwise it’s a hooded coat, keeps off the elements and I don’t have to use an umbrella either.

pascal30 Tue 24-Jan-23 11:18:38

I love hats.. black or brown fedora for winter, straw hats for summer..

M0nica Tue 24-Jan-23 07:59:41

The problem today is because people do not wear hats they only wear them at extreme events like weddings and then look uncomfortable in them.

I did not wear a hat, even at DS's wedding. Thankfully he and his wife had the kind of family and friends that do not treat weddings as an opportunity for dressing as for a fancy dress party.

dragonfly46 Tue 24-Jan-23 07:21:22

I don’t often wear hats but I do like them.
My favourite was a white maribou hat I wore at my wedding.

BigBertha1 Tue 24-Jan-23 07:21:08

I love hard and I am told they really suit me. Current winter one is Baker boy style cream sparkly one. Bobble hats and headbands for golf course. I have a funeral soon and would like something for that but wear can one but hard now to try on. I have a big head.

travelsafar Tue 24-Jan-23 07:17:05

Since the cold snap with snow before Christmas I have started wearing a bobble hat on my daily walk. It was so cold my ears were hurting and I had to do something. Now I don't venture out without it on my head. I feel warm and cosy, my ears don't hurt and I don't care if others don't like it I love my warm woolly hat!!!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 24-Jan-23 07:11:10

Love hats. I haven’t been without one all winter. I have all sorts. From very formal to bobbles.

At the moment in this freezing weather I’m wearing a fur hat - Russian woman’s type. In the summer it is usually a Panama, but I do have lots of others, essential for shade and coolness.

cornergran Tue 24-Jan-23 07:04:09

After avoiding them for years, never felt comfortable in one, I was asked to wear a hat for a sons wedding. Oh heck. It was important to the bride so off I trotted to hire one. A very knowledgeable woman produced a hat that was not only comfortable but suited me. I loved it and was sad to return it.

The shape was replicated in sun hats, I had learned a trick, but I never wore another proper hat. A fascinator for a wedding maybe but that was it.

A trip to the Arctic circle saw me panic buying a sort of oversized beanie hat lined with a wonderfully warm furry material. Didn’t give a thought to what I looked like, I was warm. As long as I could sort my hair and not resemble a famous scarecrow when the hat came off I was happy. Putting my trusty warm hat on here for a very cold sea front family walk I was greeted with such hilarity it’s never been out of the cupboard since.

So no, I don’t wear hats. I’d love to be the woman with a hat for every occasion as was my ma in law who never, ever left the house without a hat. Sadly not to be.

grandMattie Tue 24-Jan-23 06:53:23

I only wear a beanie in winter and a genuine Panama in the summer. But I feel completely undressed if I don’t wear my dangly earrings!

Georgesgran Tue 24-Jan-23 06:32:45

My DM always said she didn’t have a head for hats and I’m the same, although I did wear hats at both DDs weddings - only for the brief ceremonies, I might add.
I found a double bobble hat that’s now in my car for dog walking, where I never see another soul. On holiday, I really had to buy a hat - it was -11, so I went for a full on I ♥️NY - it wasn’t as if I’d see anyone I knew and I’ll never wear it again!

CanadianGran Tue 24-Jan-23 05:05:39

Ah, we call that a touque. I had pictures of popcorn-stitch or bobble stitch knitted hats, and thought they were popular there! Brought back memories of the 70's.

nanna8 Tue 24-Jan-23 03:50:20

A Bobble hat is a hat with a bobble on top ( woolen cap with one of those wool balls on top like skiers wear).

CanadianGran Tue 24-Jan-23 02:47:28

I have to ask: what's a bobble hat?

I've only ever worn hats for protection; rain, sun or cold, but have never worn a hat just for decoration. It's not done here, even at weddings.

I have quite a few knitted hats, beret style or touque which I wear just about all winter. My ears have a tendency to ear-ache when it is cold and windy. I'm just getting ready to pack my straw sun hat for our Mexican vacation in two weeks time.

Poppyjo Tue 24-Jan-23 02:04:10

I love hats. The bigger the better.sadly only get to wear one at weddings and funerals. I would love to see them come back into fashion. But then I am older generation and proud of it.

JackyB Tue 24-Jan-23 01:53:09

I can't wear a hat for love nor money, although they do finish off an outfit. My sister can carry off any hat.

And don't get me started on school hats!

Catterygirl Tue 24-Jan-23 00:44:41

I have two alpaca Russian hat’s from Peru. My first husband was Peruvian. I bought them from the Country Living exhibition in Islington before Covid. When I wear a hat I hold my head up high, when I normally crouch. Have worn a red fascinator when a member of the red hatters. When I was very young I was embarrassed to wear a hat but wore a rabbit fur hood whilst waiting hours for a bus home in Essex.

Grannynannywanny Mon 23-Jan-23 23:59:42

I don’t own any hats and have never liked them. I hated them as a child as they just made me hot and itchy. I prefer a hooded jacket.

GagaJo Mon 23-Jan-23 23:50:39

I loved hats and looked great in them when I was younger. I had a few. The last hat I bought, I got from the V&A, a great big, wide brimmed one that I wore for a wedding. It was fabulous. I guess I was about 45? Couldn't get away with it now, sadly.

Wyllow3 Mon 23-Jan-23 23:31:37

Lightweight Sun hats can look pretty if you chose them well and I definitely need them outside in hot weather. Or a visor for walking in and keeping sun out of eyes and face skin.
Otherwise warm bobble hats for winter.

Never wore a hat otherwise, they feel funny perched on my head and you can't move your head around naturally.

nanna8 Mon 23-Jan-23 23:17:30

I wear hats when I go to the Red Hat meetings once a month but not so much otherwise. I should wear sun hats but I find them hot and uncomfortable and I have thick hair anyway. Having said that ,I had a sun cancer on my nose last year so I am very silly.