Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Paris Fashion Week - what on Earth is its point?

(28 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Thu 26-Jan-23 09:26:15

The Emperor’s new clothes?
I don’t often exclaim FFS but well….., when I turned the page and saw this. If I had been wearing pearls I’d have clutched them!
A three year old could do as well.

Yammy Thu 26-Jan-23 13:51:11

How are they expected to get into a car, I suspect we will see someone promoting hats that look like lampshades or upside-down fish baskets. The comments after the Sunday times fashion section are much more interesting than the articles themselves.

Boz Thu 26-Jan-23 13:42:31

You will see little puppy or pussy face on the shoulder of a Primark jumper. A bit of fun for a tenner.
I just want to see the end of Little-house-on-the-Prairie frocks. Just hate frill and furbelows on clothes.
Agree about Sunday Times Style section; used to love it but now it just makes me feel old.

eazybee Thu 26-Jan-23 13:35:02

I thought, and still do, that Vivienne Westwood's clothes were absurd, but they made her a lot of money, and fame, from people desperate to be different.

NotSpaghetti Thu 26-Jan-23 11:51:48

Here is Daniel Roseberry's Maison Schiaparelli show:

www.schiaparelli.com/en

NotSpaghetti Thu 26-Jan-23 11:36:12

There are some that will translate to the highstreet straight away.
Instead of looking at only the most curious ones you may like to have a look at a few others:

www.elle.com/fashion/trend-reports/g41408352/best-looks-paris-fashion-week-spring-2023/

Grannybags Thu 26-Jan-23 11:01:24

Ridiculous!

I hate the animal ones

Georgesgran Thu 26-Jan-23 10:43:46

I’d love a pic of that FC! 😂

henetha Thu 26-Jan-23 10:42:23

Brilliant idea FannyCornforth. I would copy you except that I don't wear a vest. Would my bra do? grin.

Utterly ridiculous clothes at fashion weeks. But I suppose ideas trickle down into something wearable. These weeks mean a lot to the fashion industry I think. Business gets done, trends get copied, etc.

AussieGran59 Thu 26-Jan-23 10:36:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TerriBull Thu 26-Jan-23 10:34:36

I think fashion weeks wherever they might be held are more about theatre than anything else. Sometimes a look will transfer to the high street, but more often than not what's being displayed is preposterous and they, who ever dreamed it up, know it!

I don't think it was always thus, maybe I'm mistaken but I think these events have morphed into the ridiculous in recent times. I honestly loved fashion once, certainly back in the times of Biba, I find so much of it and what surrounds fashion weeks a fatuous load of nonsense, showing my age clearly. sad

Nowadays even the Sunday Times fashion magazine gives me the urge to fling it from one side of the room to the other, so expensive, ridiculous, irrelevant and ugly are much of what they display, God knows who it's aimed at.

FannyCornforth Thu 26-Jan-23 10:09:52

MawtheMerrier

Perhaps it’s my age (!) but I thought the upside down dress bodice just looked like great auntie’s droopy boobs!

Yes! They could have done a better job with that bodice

FannyCornforth Thu 26-Jan-23 10:08:42

Georgesgran inspired by Paris Fashion week, today I will wear my vest inside out and put the cat on my head 🐱

MawtheMerrier Thu 26-Jan-23 10:08:14

Perhaps it’s my age (!) but I thought the upside down dress bodice just looked like great auntie’s droopy boobs!

Georgesgran Thu 26-Jan-23 10:00:44

Yes FC I’m sure we’ll see similar but less dramatic trends filtering down to us - mere mortals of modest means.

FannyCornforth Thu 26-Jan-23 09:49:34

Georgesgran

Actually Maw I think a 3 year old could do better.
A fool and his/her money comes to mind….

The stuff you see on the run way is usually just one off pieces.
Art / advertising

FannyCornforth Thu 26-Jan-23 09:47:52

The snow leopard one doesn’t really work.
Tbh when I first saw them, I thought it was a PETA / anti fur thing.

Georgesgran Thu 26-Jan-23 09:46:38

Actually Maw I think a 3 year old could do better.
A fool and his/her money comes to mind….

Whitewavemark2 Thu 26-Jan-23 09:44:09

FannyCornforth

Kylie Jenner

I think that they are absolutely ghastly.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 26-Jan-23 09:38:29

That’s a relief. Still think it looks awful though.

FannyCornforth Thu 26-Jan-23 09:37:17

No, it isn’t.
Here are all three of the Schiaparelli costumes on the runway.
Inspired by Dante’s Inferno apparently

Joseanne Thu 26-Jan-23 09:36:30

I love the top part, it's like a tulip or a goblet.
The saggy bust is horrible.
Only in Paris!!

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 26-Jan-23 09:33:57

I hope that’s not real.

FannyCornforth Thu 26-Jan-23 09:31:49

Kylie Jenner

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 26-Jan-23 09:29:24

Would save doing hair and face I guess.

FannyCornforth Thu 26-Jan-23 09:28:47

Ha ha! They’re taking the proverbial aren’t they. 😆

I liked the animal head costumes.