Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

That make-up video that's popping up all the time

(16 Posts)
Pittcity Thu 02-Feb-23 15:09:20

I've just looked up the videos on YouTube.
They were 7 years ago.
I was the last of the 4 ladies to be filmed and time was running out, so I had already had most of my face made up on the before shot.
I am no longer blonde and grew out the fringe during lockdown.

I'd love to know if the other 3 ladies are still on GN.

Callistemon21 Wed 01-Feb-23 13:58:28

Pittcity

These videos were made several years ago as I was one of the models. They are all real Gransnetters. It was in a studio with a professional makeup artist and photographer. A change of clothes added to the overall effect but nothing was done to our hair except maybe a brush through.
The advertised LFF makeup is very good (we were paid in free samples) but too expensive for me.

It'd be great if GN could offer more opportunities like this as I used to enjoy trying free stuff out as well as the monthly book club.

I knew one of them was you, Pittcity wink

I must say I thought you looked lovely before the makeover and thinking at the time that they'd have a much harder job with me!

Marydoll Wed 01-Feb-23 13:32:51

I thought one of the models was familiar from the days when we had our photo on GN. It seemed a good idea at the time, but not so.these days.

Pittcity Wed 01-Feb-23 13:31:34

The skin tone change could be down to change in clothes colour near the face. Tricia (the business owner who is narrating) 'did' our colours for us and made sure that they were flattering in the 'after' shot.

Pittcity Wed 01-Feb-23 13:28:45

These videos were made several years ago as I was one of the models. They are all real Gransnetters. It was in a studio with a professional makeup artist and photographer. A change of clothes added to the overall effect but nothing was done to our hair except maybe a brush through.
The advertised LFF makeup is very good (we were paid in free samples) but too expensive for me.

It'd be great if GN could offer more opportunities like this as I used to enjoy trying free stuff out as well as the monthly book club.

Marydoll Wed 01-Feb-23 13:02:27

Marydoll

As I'm reading this, that blooming video has popped up.

I realised I have really aged in the last month, due to illness. I made contact HQ and see if I can be one of their models!

I meant to say, I may contact HQ, not made! It was meant to be ironic!

I don't think there is much hope for me.

FannyCornforth Wed 01-Feb-23 12:46:16

Baggs

I have yet to see a passport photo that doesn't make the person look really grumpy (and probably a criminal) 😂.

Even children!

grin probably dogs and cats too!

Yammy Wed 01-Feb-23 12:38:12

Before everything went digital they used to turn the plate over for the before and after photos. According to a photographer I knew The hair parting was on the opposite side and cardigans buttoned up on the man's side.
Years ago a magazine used to do makeovers for a group from say a choir or work. A school I was working in were keen I hated the idea. Luckily DH moved jobs and I left. The head laughed and said a move was a bit drastic to avoid it.
I had a makeover when much younger and daft, I saw myself and put my hood up to get home. DH said I looked like a pantomime dame.grin

Baggs Wed 01-Feb-23 12:12:33

I have yet to see a passport photo that doesn't make the person look really grumpy (and probably a criminal) 😂.

Even children!

Baggs Wed 01-Feb-23 12:11:17

Callistemon21

These are real Gransnetters, some of whom may still be on GN!

Yes, I look like Les Dawson did on a bad day in my passport photo. I always hope some eagle-eyed security person will say "That cannot be you in the photo" but no-one has so far.

🤣🤣

Baggs Wed 01-Feb-23 12:10:32

Yes. I recognised one of them whom I've met. But she is not the one whose dramatic skin-tone change I noticed.

Marydoll Wed 01-Feb-23 12:08:42

As I'm reading this, that blooming video has popped up.

I realised I have really aged in the last month, due to illness. I made contact HQ and see if I can be one of their models!

FannyCornforth Wed 01-Feb-23 12:07:39

I look like a depressed, jowly spaniel on mine

The GN netters look lovely, sorry - I wasn’t suggesting that they look anything other smile

Callistemon21 Wed 01-Feb-23 12:00:40

Yes, I look like Les Dawson did on a bad day in my passport photo. I always hope some eagle-eyed security person will say "That cannot be you in the photo" but no-one has so far.

FannyCornforth Wed 01-Feb-23 11:50:25

Baggs I know exactly which one that you mean. I think that as you say, most of it is the photography.

They make you look as rough as possible in the before picture, and use flattering lights etc in the after.

At least she is smiling in both.
Lots of before and afters have the model looking like Les Dawson on a bad day in the ‘before’;
and then beaming like a loon who’s win the lottery in the ‘after’.

Baggs Wed 01-Feb-23 11:40:59

The most recent "made-over" woman I've seen in it has had her whole skin tone changed by the make-up apparently.

Or is it photographic trickery?

And if it's real, why would you want to do that? Colours that suited you natural skin tone wouldn't work any more.

These are genuine questions as I have zero experience with make-up.