Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Eye cream

(19 Posts)
ExDancer Thu 02-Feb-23 17:00:16

Is there a firm that produces a moisturiser that is truly kind to sensitive eyes?
I have tried every range I can think of and wasted loads of money on expensive creams that promise the moon but don't deliver. Even avoiding the eye area altogether doesn't work - it seems to migrate from above my eyebrows or the top of my cheekbones and cause irritation and watery eyes for hours.
I find myself using up expensive but useless face cream on my legs and body.
Can anyone help?

Chestnut Thu 02-Feb-23 17:14:32

If you are having an allergic response then there is probably an ingredient which upsets your eyes, but you'd have to find out the common ingredient for all the creams you've used. That could be done online I suppose as they do list them. However, there may be more than one common ingredient!

It may be better to pay for an allergy test. My granddaughter is going to have one to discover what causes her eczema.

I had a dreadful allergy to Johnson's Baby Lotion (years ago when it was pink) and also Oil of Ulay cream (when that was pink) so I kept away from pink creams as I presumed that was the problem! I believe neither of them are pink any more.

rubysong Thu 02-Feb-23 17:50:27

How about something simple like Astral. I prefer it to Nivea as it isn't quite so greasy.

ExperiencedNotOld Thu 02-Feb-23 18:23:10

I’ve used astral to take off my eye make every day since I was 15. I’m now 64 and don’t have many wrinkles around my eyes. And yes, it does moisturise without puffiness.
That said, I had an Olay gift set and used the eye cream to put on my sometimes rosacea nose. That worked.

Jaxjacky Thu 02-Feb-23 19:03:08

Which Olay eye cream please ExperiencedNotOld? I too have a rosacea skin, thank you.

Aldom Thu 02-Feb-23 19:22:36

The Green Company do an eye cream for sensitive skin. I have used it with no problems. It used to cost £21 for a small tube. Several years ago I discovered Superdrug eye cream. I've used it for a long time, very successfully. It costs around £2.49 for the same size tube as the expensive cream. I use Superdrug moisturiser on my face too. I have in the past, used expensive creams but this is just as good.

ExDancer Fri 03-Feb-23 10:53:35

Thanks girls.
The run of the mill ones like Astra and Nivea are dreadful, so are the more expensive ones like Revitalift and Olay, also the really expensive ones. Its not my skin that's the [problem its the eyes themselves.
Boots and M&S ditto. This is a new thing, and I've asked my optician who just gave me some waffle about getting older (sigh).
shock will you believe butter is acceptable - I tried it when my DH suggested 'goose-grease' - fatuous b'stard.
I wonder if cream from cows milk would be the same ..... hmm

FannyCornforth Fri 03-Feb-23 10:57:53

Chestnut me too! Especially Johnson’s Baby Lotion. Awful stuff.
And I don’t have sensitive skin at all

Chestnut Sat 04-Feb-23 13:38:00

Incredible that they were selling millions of bottles of pink baby lotion which obviously had something nasty in them. I wonder how many babies were affected. I was using it for removing make-up because we were told it was good for that. Presumably because it was 'baby lotion' it was thought to be gentle for our skin. 😳

Oreo Sat 04-Feb-23 13:46:35

I have quite sensitive eyes, for instance anything like sunscreen makes them water all day.
I seem to be fine with Revitalift for eyes tho.

ExDancer Thu 09-Feb-23 09:44:09

Its my eyes that give trouble, not a sensitive skin. A small amount of the cream must get into the eyes causing pain and watering.
Avoiding the eye area when using an eye cream is nonsense so I'll continue using my BodyShop vitamin face cream, avoiding the eye area, and hope a bit migrates to the skin round my eyes but not the eyelid rims. sad

lilypollen Thu 09-Feb-23 13:53:22

I have used Simple eye cream and all their products are skin kindly. Not expensive and often on offer in Superdrug.

artofvedas Tue 28-Mar-23 06:37:58

Ruby Eye Cream crafted with traditional Ayurvedic recipe, enriched with 100% natural ingredients. The powerful cocktail with plant extracts to soothen your eye contour. Saffron energizes the skin for a fresh and radiant complexion. Prickly Manjishtha extract activates cell renewal to restore radiance & texture to the skin.

JackyB Tue 28-Mar-23 07:50:22

I've no idea about this sort of thing but wondered if a pure natural oil like olive oil or almond oil would be any good? There shouldn't be any added synthetic chemicals in those so you could start eliminating any such substances.

dogsmother Tue 28-Mar-23 09:39:56

Micellar for eye make removal and body shop for face creams .

LadyGaGa Tue 28-Mar-23 09:57:30

I too suffer with my eyes. I have been looking for a cream that doesn’t sting for years! The best I have found is Hand Made Naturals eye cream (Amazon) it still stings a bit but not as much and the stinging doesn’t last as long. And I’m sure it’s made my eyes look brighter and smoother. I also use Blethritis tea tree wipes for my eyes which definitely helps during a flare up (also Amazon) Sore eyes are miserable.

Allegretto Sat 01-Apr-23 07:31:07

Neals Yard Wild Rose Beauty Balm works for me. I’ve got really sensitive eyes and skin but I’ve never had any problems since I started using this product.

BigBertha1 Sat 01-Apr-23 10:08:20

My daughter is allergic to almost every product you can name especially round the eyes. She finds Nivea to be the best product for her. I must say that having tried many eye creams myself Nivea gives the best results.

Granmarderby10 Sat 01-Apr-23 10:22:09

I experience the same when I use sun protection on my face- even the ones especially designed for faces. The product sweats down into my eyes and really stings and blurs my vision until I finally remove the (b!@@|¥) stuff with a hot flannel and bathe my eyes. So much for that😥