Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Hair colour

(19 Posts)
LuckyFour Thu 16-Feb-23 22:17:12

I have white hair and would like to colour it but I'm afraid of making a mistake. I used to be a light mousey blonde. Have any of you successfully coloured your white hair and what did you use. I'd appreciate your help.

Hopikins Thu 16-Feb-23 22:31:48

Find a really good hairdresser, then go from there

Theexwife Thu 16-Feb-23 23:13:32

I would go for something that washes out, you won't get a harsh route line as the whole lot will fade evenly.

Another option would be foils, again no harsh root line.

There is a lot of upkeep to having coloured hair. Obviously better done at a salon.

Shinamae Thu 16-Feb-23 23:20:30

I love my white hair and would not dream of colouring it…

Palmtree Fri 17-Feb-23 07:06:30

White hair can look amazing (so much nicer than grey) so I would only go down the route of colouring it if you can afford the upkeep. People like Andie MacDowell seem to get it right, adding lowlights etc. However to start with I really think an experienced hairdresser is worth the money as they have the experience to advise what depth and tone would suit your skin and eyes. You could book in for a free colour consultation before you decide.

AussieGran59 Fri 17-Feb-23 07:42:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ginny Fri 17-Feb-23 08:30:05

Use a good wash in wash out colour and then you have no roots to worry about . This way you can ring the changes too.
My very light grey hair sometimes has a pink or blue hue.

Georgesgran Fri 17-Feb-23 08:38:07

I buy colored mousse in lavender from Amazon. Apply randomly to damp hair and blow dry. It washes out easily.

Yammy Fri 17-Feb-23 08:56:22

I wouldn't have it permanently coloured like others have said. Have a semi or use a coloured mouse or shampoo. I am letting my once blonde hair go grey and wish it would hurry up.It is now dark with grey steaks au natural I use a purple shampoo and conditioner just John Fieda from the super Market.
If you go permanent you will have all the root touch up that dark-haired people have when going grey.

Wyllow3 Fri 17-Feb-23 08:59:46

I love my nearly white hair - its nicer than a dull grey. Colours like red go well with it as well as soft hues.

I've discussed it with hairdresser briefly, and all white hair is difficult to colour, it doesn't take colour too well. But some streaks might be fun - definitely a hairdresser though.

Georgesgran Fri 17-Feb-23 09:01:07

I’d add that my hair is very fine now, so going back to any shade of brown (wouldn’t dream of my once very dark brown) would show my scalp, whereas the haphazard use of pastel colored mousse doesn’t, but lifts my hair and I hope, makes it look slightly thicker.

Visgir1 Fri 17-Feb-23 09:10:30

Find a good hairdresser, who can advise.
I have chosen to go "Grey" as I have natural grey, plus my own colour which is highlighted, then tinted light mauve.
It matches my skin tone, this is all on her advice, might change again later on.
I Keep it fresh by using Wella toner which is really good.

foxie48 Fri 17-Feb-23 09:14:08

My hair is white but I have a permanent colour in a dark brown, which actually looks great on me as it tones down the colour of my skin and brings out the colour of my eyes, which is my best feature. I go to a good salon and keeping it looking good is expensive but is worth every penny. White hair can be extremely resistant to taking colour, I doubt if a semi permanent will work for you but pink and blue rinses do. If you like pink and blue rinses, that's probably your cheapest option. What will look best is down to your colouring, how thick or not your hair is, how it is cut and how much money, time and effort you are willing to use. Growing it out will take about a year and if done properly with a good hairdresser, you won't have regrowth stripes but it is a big decision, so if you do go down the permanent route be sure that that is what you want. Good luck. btw I have no intention of growing mine out and I'm mid 70's.

TerriBull Fri 17-Feb-23 09:21:14

I'd discuss having some foils done with your hairdresser, strategically placed highlights/lowlights of whatever colour you feel will blend in nicely, could be quite enhancing and maybe would look more natural than an all over block colour, as we have to bear in our skin tone as we age, darker hair doesn't always do it justice.

LuckyFour Fri 17-Feb-23 11:57:05

What a lot of great advice you've given me Gransneters. Thank you. I think I'll peruse the shelves in Boots and see what I can find - but following your advice - nothing permanent.
If I'm successful with the colour, or if I decide against it, I'll let you know. It may help other Gransneters with the same issue.

AreWeThereYet Fri 17-Feb-23 15:25:57

I'd be a bit careful with semi-permanent. It says it washes out in XX shampoos but it always leaves a residue and slightly changes the colour of your hair. I used them for years when I was younger, just to make slight changes to my brown hair, and could always tell where my hair had grown out. On my dark brown hair it was acceptable, but on white hair it might be more obvious.

foxie48 Sat 18-Feb-23 08:35:26

Why not google semi-permanent hair colour for white hair? I've just had a look and there are a few products that might interest you and then you can look for reviews.

HeavenLeigh Thu 11-May-23 19:40:20

Georgesgran I’m going to look out for the coloured mousse in lavender thank you for that. I’m a few months now in letting my grey come through and so far I’m quite pleased with it. I love to see the lavender colours and light pinks in white hair

Georgesgran Thu 11-May-23 20:47:19

This is it Heaven. It comes in lots of colours.