Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Comfortable bra WITH lift AND support!

(20 Posts)
Sunflower2 Sat 18-Feb-23 10:07:43

Hi everyone,
I recently had a rib injury and couldn’t wear a bra as it was too painful. I was also becoming aware, getting older, that I hate the tightness of a bra around my ribs anyway, and long for a more comfortable fit that still offers lift and support. I’m currently wearing a very flabby, soft, sports, crop top, but there is no support or shape. Does anyone know of a soft band, but supportive bra, that might give me some shape and fit the bill? Thanks in anticipation

GrannyGravy13 Sat 18-Feb-23 10:34:56

Have a look at Bravissimo online, they have a good selection of bralettes

henetha Sat 18-Feb-23 10:42:06

I love bralettes. Not quite the same lift as a wired bra, but worth it for the comfort.

Caleo Sat 18-Feb-23 10:49:51

Same problem with me, Sunflower. After trying several sorts of bra I find that the really inexpensive non-wired light -weight bras from the supermarkets or M and S are best. They are usually sold in twos. I have sloping shoulders and these bras have shoulder straps that are joined to the mid-cup top edge, so the straps don't slip off.

These would not support very heavy breasts but I find are adequate for my C cups size.

Caleo Sat 18-Feb-23 10:53:46

PS the tightness of the underband is adjustable. You get less support from a loose underband but the shaping of the cup is not affected. I think you need a firm enough tailored bra cup which I doubt you can get from bralettes.

BlueBelle Sat 18-Feb-23 10:55:47

I’ve recently bought M and S plunge bra (non-wired) but seem to lift mine better than some others do without the horrible hurty wires and I find them fairly comfortable say fairly as I don’t think any bras are really that comfortable but unless you want spaniel ears they are a necessity

Caleo Sat 18-Feb-23 11:03:06

I find that for comfort's sake I have to compromise between lift and shaping. Shaping is easy as it depends on the tailoring and material of the cup. It's lift that is the problem, and nothing beats the Triumph Doreen for lift.

Fleurpepper Sat 18-Feb-23 12:14:19

GrannyGravy13

Wow - that made me jump. Read it like the French word- with an extra letter, and it means something VERY different.

Sunflower2 Sat 18-Feb-23 19:02:12

GrannyGravy13

Ooh! I’d forgotten about Bravissimo. I’ll take a look.

Sunflower2 Sat 18-Feb-23 19:03:15

henetha

I love bralettes. Not quite the same lift as a wired bra, but worth it for the comfort.

I might be a bit big for bralettes being 38D…ish!

Sunflower2 Sat 18-Feb-23 19:04:34

Caleo

Same problem with me, Sunflower. After trying several sorts of bra I find that the really inexpensive non-wired light -weight bras from the supermarkets or M and S are best. They are usually sold in twos. I have sloping shoulders and these bras have shoulder straps that are joined to the mid-cup top edge, so the straps don't slip off.

These would not support very heavy breasts but I find are adequate for my C cups size.

Yes, I’ve tried cheapy ones but they do sag very quickly! Could be my size!

Sunflower2 Sat 18-Feb-23 19:06:03

BlueBelle

I’ve recently bought M and S plunge bra (non-wired) but seem to lift mine better than some others do without the horrible hurty wires and I find them fairly comfortable say fairly as I don’t think any bras are really that comfortable but unless you want spaniel ears they are a necessity

Lol! Definitely relate to ‘Spaniel ears’!

Sunflower2 Sat 18-Feb-23 19:07:44

Caleo

I find that for comfort's sake I have to compromise between lift and shaping. Shaping is easy as it depends on the tailoring and material of the cup. It's lift that is the problem, and nothing beats the Triumph Doreen for lift.

Oh dear! Have I REALLY reached that age where I have to consider Doreen? I suppose comfort comes first!

fancythat Sat 18-Feb-23 20:48:46

Timely thread.
Somehow I have managed to lose two bras. No idea where! And quite frankly not sure I even want to think about it!

M&S is my first port of call. But the type of bra I have been using[best seller according to the assistant I saw last time] is really not supportive enough.

Someone, in there I think, said it is the cup that is the most important thing as reagards support. Apparently I am like lots of people in thinking it si the straps that are key.
She said cup, followed by band and then straps.

Planning to spend an afternoon to get the issue sorted. Hopefully.

Dont like wires but will have them if must.

Oreo Sat 18-Feb-23 21:00:08

Sunflower2

Caleo

Oh dear! Have I REALLY reached that age where I have to consider Doreen? I suppose comfort comes first!

Nothing to do with age, I don’t need to wear Doreen but both DD’s do and have done from being about 19 years old.They think they are fantastic.

Harris27 Sat 18-Feb-23 21:06:55

I love Doreen bras but I’m big boobed!

livelylady Sat 18-Feb-23 21:12:14

Always Triumph Doreen for me. Though during covid I couldn't stand the restriction and broke free. Went back to Doreen but asked for a fitting from assistant. I had been wearing a 38C but she and I were astounded when the tape measure said 42C. Got to admit the new bra is a lot better fit and the straps stay put. So advice is get measured!

Sunflower2 Sat 18-Feb-23 22:17:25

I think I might be confusing the Doreen with Miss Mary of Sweden bras from way back. I remember seeing them in catalogues like Kay’s. After all the pages of lovely bras, came the Miss Mary bras! They looked very ‘no nonsense’! although I’m sure they were comfortable.
I’ll have to take another look at Doreen.
Thanks for all your comments.

NotSpaghetti Sat 18-Feb-23 22:51:41

NO!
Sunflower2 - you don't have to succumb to the matronly charms of Doreen if you don't want to.

Caleo Wed 22-Feb-23 12:04:00

The underband can be very wide and the cup size a good fit. When I got a hump in my back I experimented with really cheap bras and found I now take an enormous underband size and a smaller cup than I did before the hump.