Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

For those of you with grey white silver locks

(61 Posts)
HeavenLeigh Sun 05-Mar-23 16:29:00

Please can I have some recommendations for the best shampoo for grey hair, I’m growing mine through and doing well. Quite excited really although only been three months, apparently grey hair can go yellow! I didn’t realise that being a brunette,

Barmeyoldbat Sun 26-Mar-23 19:21:34

My hair is white , long and curly, I gave up having it cut when the prices at our local hairdressers sent through the roof. I use a shampoo and conditioner for silver hair as it tends to brighten it and give a lovely shine

Lizbethann55 Sun 26-Mar-23 16:28:01

Isn't hair weird! Despite being in my late 60s my hair is still brown, but it has started to go really curly! My DH has a mass of hair, very white at the front but grey at the back. He started to go grey in his very early 30s. My friend started to go grey in her early 20s . She always dyed it but decided to let it grow out during lockdown. It is a stunning colour, a beautiful soft grey.

NanaDana Wed 22-Mar-23 12:03:33

My hair is now white, and I've used a well-known baby shampoo for years. It doesn't sting my eyes, and is cheap compared to some of the so-called "wonder products" containing rare herbs from the remote Himalayas/ caffeine (gives your hair an energy boost?)/ cholesterol/collagen/you name it... Dermatologists advise that there's very little difference between high street brands and "designer" products, as they all basically do the same job. If you want to pay extra for a shampoo because you like the scent and the product suits you, fine, but if you're just looking for something to clean your hair efficiently, you don't need to buy premium price products to achieve that. Also, I've never needed or used a conditioner for my hair. Probably genetic, as I know my dear, late Mum had an impressive mane until the end of her days, and swore by Vosene. So, personal choice I guess, but I'll stick to my baby shampoo. The scent also brings back fond memories.

pascal30 Wed 22-Mar-23 11:39:07

Faith in Nature shampoo, organic no parabens..

Blueberrygran Wed 22-Mar-23 11:02:17

Blue Malva shampoo and conditioner from Aveda. Not every day, as it's quite expensive but I use it consecutively for 3 or 4 days (shampoo) and do a deep condition leaving the conditioner on under wrap and a towel for about an hour before going anywhere nice.😊 I've been going grey since I was 22 - I'm now 54 and have long, white grey hair. My son assures me that it's very distinguished (bless him)!

HeavenLeigh Wed 15-Mar-23 19:56:56

Rafichagran, agree with you, but you do get the odd one that likes to disrupt things don’t you. Awww bless🤣🙄 and I love your hair colour too Marmight, beautiful colour and style I’ve just bought touch of silver shampoo for my hair so looking forward to using it as more colour comes through,

Elless Sun 12-Mar-23 10:42:21

I decided to grow my colour out about 18 months ago and was surprised to discover I only have a white fringe and a few white hairs running through the rest of my brown hair. I use John Frieda Defy Grey shampoo on it which is coloured shampoo and it has made my fringe blonde, I've had a lot of compliments on it. I have tried other brands of coloured shampoo but they all have too much red in them and make it go very ginger (no offense meant).

Marmight Sun 12-Mar-23 05:08:12

After using a very expensive shampoo recommended by my hairdresser for a number of years, I discovered A Touch of Silver. I use it every 7 to 10 days and it’s the only product which makes my hair feel ‘right’. I’ve had silver/white hair since my early 50’s and now Ive got to grips with not being dark any more, have come to love my hair colour

Mom3 Sun 12-Mar-23 00:06:49

I have been pleasantly surprised by how my hair is white like my dad's was when he was old.
It's white in front and sides, but sort of mousy salt and pepper in back. Are any of you like that? I have been cutting it myself since DH and I are still being careful about Covid. YouTube videos helped me learn how to slightly layer it. The outcome varies at times! Ha!
I look forward to going back to a salon eventually.

Blossoming Sat 11-Mar-23 22:12:38

Thanks Maw, I’ll remember that.

MawtheMerrier Sat 11-Mar-23 21:54:54

It is important to keep it shiny. I use a Moroccan Oil platinum conditioner and also a mist of Moroccan Oil shine spray after styling, so that it is silver rather than matte white.

Blossoming Sat 11-Mar-23 17:30:08

Maw I do wonder if my hair will eventually become a uniform white. I wouldn’t mind, but kind of hope not, as I like it having its own self made highlights! My natural colour was very dark brown but it contained many red strands so perhaps that is why it’s a mix of grey and silver shades now.

MawtheMerrier Sat 11-Mar-23 13:07:29

Whereas my tresses are just white

Blossoming Sat 11-Mar-23 11:54:05

Usernametaken I love Noughty products too, they don’t irritate my sensitive scalp.

Blossoming Sat 11-Mar-23 11:52:19

MawtheMerrier

PS what colour is "grey white silver" anyway?

This is my grey white silver hair grin

Usernametaken Sat 11-Mar-23 11:49:45

Try to use products with no parabens, silicones and other nasties as these are very drying. I love the Noughty range, plus their purple range for grey and white hair.

love noughty.co.uk

Granny23 Sat 11-Mar-23 11:31:12

I was a blonde baby and child but in my teens my hair darkened to a very boring mousy brown. Left school on the Friday, started work on the Monday as a bleached blonde. Apart from during pregnancies, I remained pale blonde into my 70s.Meanwhile all my relatives on my Mother's side developed lovely snowy white hair at a youngish age. (Perhaps inevitable, when the family surname was Whyte!)

Then I broke my arm and was unable to apply the bleach so just let it be. Surprise, Surprise - my new growth was exactly the same pale blonde shade as the longer bleached hair. I do use John Frieda Blonde Highlighting shampoo and conditioner maybe once a week but don't think it makes much of a difference.

Parsley3 Sat 11-Mar-23 10:36:45

Santa brought me some Philip Kingsley leave in conditioner and it is brilliant. I have thick hair that loves to frizz and this conditioner actually works.

aquagran Sat 11-Mar-23 10:22:24

Purple shampoo…Milkshake…leave it on, purple tinge, trendy!

henetha Sat 11-Mar-23 10:19:17

PS. I think the key to having nice locks is not to wash it toooo
often. grin

henetha Sat 11-Mar-23 10:17:21

My hair has been white for ages. I just use any shampoo and do vary it a bit as I once read that the hair benefits from a change of shampoo sometimes. Not sure why.
I do use conditioner now and then. It helps get rid of that straw like feeling.
I quite enjoy putting a few pink streaks in it too. Occasionally.

rafichagran Sat 11-Mar-23 10:07:47

Why does a perfectly reasonable thread title, spoil what is a perfectly reasonable question, no need for anyone to come on a thread like this and try to disrupt it.
I am interested in the answers to the OP question, I have kept my natural dark brown hair, but I have 6 blond highlights put it. I use the Phillip Kingsley for blond hair once a week and it keeps my blond highlights looking lovely and fresh.

aggie Sat 11-Mar-23 09:49:53

To be honest I sniggered at the title ! Sorry 😣

Calendargirl Sat 11-Mar-23 09:42:14

Re the thread title.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with it.

The previous post to mine mentions ‘Goldilocks’.

Now ‘Goldihair’ would sound awful, wouldn’t it?

Not half so pretty.

Parsley3 Sat 11-Mar-23 09:35:07

I used to pay to have blond highlights but now that my hair is white I will never be Goldilocks again. I hate it when I get those yellow tinges due to the heat from straightners or the sun and I use any brand of purple shampoo to get rid of it. I found a solid purple bar from Lush which I had forgotten about in a cupboard yesterday and will give that another go.