Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Have you bought glasses online?

(9 Posts)
Kate1949 Tue 21-Mar-23 23:56:50

I am hopeless with anything like this but it was easy. I am extremely short sighted. In the old days my lenses were like milk bottles, sticking out from the frames. I didn't tell Glasses Direct any of this but my glasses are perfect. I have also used Select Specs who are equally good.

NotSpaghetti Tue 21-Mar-23 23:43:17

I was advised by a mail-order company that you need to be especially careful to have measurements for where abouts in the lenses your eyes are centred. This is so they can cut the lenses central to your pupils.
This was less critical for big lenses they said as there is more room to play with.
The person I spoke to said "if you are likely to be the area, pop in and I'll see that you are measured correctly!"

GrandmaKT Tue 21-Mar-23 22:25:18

Thanks for all the comments so far! So Glasses Direct seem good. Any other recommendations?

Kate1949 Tue 21-Mar-23 22:12:38

Yes from Glasses Direct. I was unsure but they are great. Lovely blue frames £20 in total.

1summer Tue 21-Mar-23 22:06:22

My friends husband and my son in law both recently bought glasses from Glasses Direct, they were both very satisfied with the glasses they bought both standard lenses. I have been looking to get some sunglasses but I need varifocals but have been a bit worried as they are more complicated.
Your comments give me a bit more confidence to go for it!

Doodledog Tue 21-Mar-23 21:57:47

Yes, Like Luckygirl I have bought varifocals online with no issue. The first time you get them (varifocals, not standard lenses) you have to send a photo with a credit card placed on your forehead (a storecard will do - they aren't harvesting details grin) so that they can work out your pupil distance. Apparently that never changes, so after the first time you don't ned to do it again.

Luckygirl3 Tue 21-Mar-23 21:49:53

Yes I have - mostly no problems, and I have varifocals.

I had a problem with getting the varifocal right with one company - I sent them back and they tried again, but still no go - but they refunded me with no quibble at all.

CanadianGran Tue 21-Mar-23 21:45:48

Yes, and I was very happy with my purchase. They cost about 1/4 of what I would have paid in town. I bought them since I had heard the same good reviews, so thought I would give it a shot. Just read the shipping and return policies on the website.

They have quite detailed fit guidelines, and you have to enter in your prescription for the lenses. I won't say the site I went through because I am not in UK, so am not sure what is available to you.

GrandmaKT Tue 21-Mar-23 21:34:43

I'd like to get a couple of pairs of bright-framed glasses to go with different outfits (the kind of thing that Prue Leith wears). I can't find anything locally and I have seen there are lots of internet sites where you can upload a photo and 'try them on'. Has anyone bought through any of these sites and would you recommend? A lot of them seem to be American and I wonder what rights I would have if they were no good or didn't arrive. I need varifocals, so no doubt that will make it more complicated/expensive. Would love to hear any recommendations or experiences!