Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Smart jeans/chinos

(52 Posts)
Mazgg Fri 31-Mar-23 16:58:33

I am looking for jeans or chinos that I can wear for semi smart going out. Many will say that at my age (81) I shouldn't wear jeans but the right cut can look stylish. The trouble is I don't like skinny trousers that cling to my legs and as I am vertically challenged (5ft nothing) I look ridiculous in anything that flaps around my ankles. I do love a boot cut but always have to shorten them so lose the line.
I wear size 10 or 12 depending on the make. Any suggestions gratefully received.

sodapop Fri 09-Jun-23 13:24:19

I find the term 'the elderly' very patronising Hetty58 we are not a breed apart just people who are older.

Bixiboo Thu 08-Jun-23 23:33:18

I’m another Robell fan. I have 3 pairs of their jeans in the Rose design. I like the fact they don’t have buttons or zips so give a smoother look. They wash well and always look smart.

Pianokey Thu 08-Jun-23 08:02:37

I also love Robell trousers. I have black and navy ‘jeans’ which are good for casual and a bit smarter. The shape is great and they have no zips or buttons. You need to find the style which works for you. I’m a bit curvy at the top of my leg so wear Marie . Someone with slimmer legs would wear Rose. The ‘jeans’ are £79 but very well worth it in my opinion. They make them in a different fabric too and these are cheaper, but I don’t have any.

Farzanah Thu 04-May-23 21:45:51

Hetty58

Sorry - but I think jeans (any jeans) look quite ridiculous on the elderly. Nobody 80+ has the right shape to fill them!

I agree Foxygloves pure ageism.
Does reaching 80 mean conforming to the shape and age police? Or is it 70 or 60 perhaps?

Humans come in all shapes and sizes, not determined by age, and in my opinion women should wear what they feel comfortable in, whatever their age.

Lexisgranny Thu 04-May-23 08:47:25

Hetty58 couldn’t disagree more. I am 80 and apart from my waist which is 1” larger, the same measurements (and weight) as when I was 18. Staying slim has taken will power and hard work. I am tall and have long legs and prefer straight leg jeans.

It is ridiculous to generalise but as you are basing your opinion on who has the right shape to wear jeans, there are many young people who wear jeans and do not fit this criteria.

Foxygloves Thu 04-May-23 08:32:31

Hetty58

Sorry - but I think jeans (any jeans) look quite ridiculous on the elderly. Nobody 80+ has the right shape to fill them!

Blindly - everyday ageism on Gransnet.
What next?

Aldom Thu 04-May-23 08:21:24

Hetty58

Sorry to disillusion you Hetty, but I have a good shape that fits jeans well. With straight legs too. And, yes, I am 80+.

Susynan Thu 04-May-23 07:34:41

Roman do stretch trousers similar to Robell, but cheaper

www.roman.co.uk/straight-leg-trousers-18000308

Parsley3 Thu 04-May-23 07:21:55

Sorry, not sorry, but I am 70+ and wear jeans and like them. This is a great thread as I am looking for chinos just now and didn't know about Robell. I will spend today investigating all the suggestions.

Lizbethann55 Wed 03-May-23 22:49:30

Well, that's not particularly kind Hetty. Maybe you just haven't met the right shaped 80 year olds. I am sure that Mazzgg knows exactly what she does or doesn't look good in.

Hetty58 Wed 03-May-23 22:06:07

Design100 Wed 03-May-23 21:51:33

Like montymops. Robell German made chinos nice. Great stretchy fabric and last years ! Flattering fit in different cuts and styles.

Gundy Wed 03-May-23 02:01:39

My kind of shopping Alison333!
Go on a mission, then treat yourself to lunch or tea

I DO understand some people hate to shop - for anything. I call it retail therapy 🛍️
Wrap it up!
USA Gundy

Candelle Wed 03-May-23 01:54:16

Mazzgg and Bazza, Uniglo have a free trouser/jean leg length service.

In their shops they will perform the alteration (sometime almost immediately) for free.

Uniqlo is remarkably good quality (especially their cotton and wool clothing). Seems to last forever and washes very well: little colour loss etc.

If you are on the shorter side, their trouser/jean alteration service could be what you need. The only downside is that unless you purchase in their shops, return postage is payable on anything you wish to return when originally ordered online.

I buy less than I used to as I refuse to pay return postage and only now buy when near a Uniqlo shop. Their loss!

Lizbethann55 Tue 02-May-23 21:05:58

I like Cotton Traders

Carmo1 Tue 02-May-23 18:29:25

Next are very good and their cropped fit me perfectly at 5ft 2

Farzanah Tue 02-May-23 18:05:48

I like M&S as they have a good range of styles and sizes. I find many shops don’t cater for short leg, and petite isn’t always right fit. Short doesn’t mean petite all over necessarily 😲

Bluedaisy Tue 02-May-23 17:42:48

So simply.com
For Robell trousers and jeans

Bluedaisy Tue 02-May-23 17:41:07

Have you looked at Robell jeans and trousers? I think the shop is called Simply Robell.

TillyWhiz Tue 02-May-23 17:35:38

I swear by Cotton Traders these days. Lovely chinos, use them for both smart and casual, pull on, leg length very good.

Nannashirlz Tue 02-May-23 17:33:28

I’ve got arthritis in my hips so I need to elastic at the back I buy Bon marche wash lovely comfortable and I buy them all bootcut slim jeggings I’m 5.2 and I buy regular I also love sainsburys jeans I buy loads of my clothes from them really good quality and a few from M&S

Alison333 Tue 02-May-23 16:55:20

M & S and Next have a huge selection of jeans and chinos to choose from. I suggest you allow a whole morning and stop for a nice coffee/tea break in the middle!

knspol Tue 02-May-23 16:52:18

I would have said M&S but our local branch now allows men into the changing rooms area so not great. Last time I went in to try on chinos there were 3 men speaking in a foreign language laughing and joking on the sofa directly outside the changing room doors. Didn't bother to try on trousers, just left.

effalump Tue 02-May-23 16:01:53

I like the ones from Bon Marche as they have a little bit of elastication, different leg widths and several leg lengths for about £20. Oh and several shades of blue plus black.

TenGran Tue 02-May-23 16:01:10

I like Fat Face chinos or the lightweight cotton ones from Marks. Also, this winter, I have enjoyed my dungarees from Next. I'm 74, and 5'2. I have several pairs of M and S Sophia jeans but these seem to be withdrawn now.